Cambelt Query

MikeW

Just taken in my car for a service and MOT.

My car is four years old and has done 39,000 miles. I have received a text from the dealer to "click this box for a cambelt change" and a "red warning" symbol next to the box.

Having owned previous Skodas i know that the cambelts are usually changed at 4 years, i notice that whenever this question has been asked on these forums about when to change some people say 4 years, some say it's got a longlife VW cam which doesn't need changing at that interval.

Anybody know which one it is?

Specifically, it's a belt that runs inside the engine casing and runs in the engine oil. I believe it's recommended change interval is 160,000 miles. However, i don't know if there is a time limit on this. I think the Skoda service department generate these emails / texts automatically at around 40,000 miles, as I've had them for my old Citigo at that mileage.

"...runs in the engine oil."

Where did you get that? I find it hard to believe. The belt in Ford's 1.0 ecoboost engine is in contact with engine oil. VW 1.0 MPI, I don't think so. 

23 hours ago, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

It's a longlife belt and I wouldn't even consider replacing it until the vehicle is 5+ years old. 

What is the service interval on the water pump drive belt (and maybe also the water pump) at the other end of the engine?

10 hours ago, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

Its a dry belt and doesn't run in oil. 

My mistake, it's the Ford one that runs in oil. This one is supposedly a life of engine belt. I ran my last one for 104,000 miles without issue.

My Daughter just picked up her Seat Mii ( I get mine Friday) so I asked her to get the Cam Belt service interval from the sales guy (Seat Grimsby) He told her " It's not a Belt it's a Chain"!!!!! You do wonder sometimes what goes on with these people?. I mean they are main agents and can't answer correctly what should be a simple question.:angry:

I suspect the belt is a 'lifetime' thing and the Salesman reckoned it must be a chain. 

I can't help wondering though why there should be so much confusion over this issue. I'ts same on the VW Up forum, mixed messages. i.e. 'Lifetime' or change every 5 years etc.

Harry

44 minutes ago, horkin said:

My Daughter just picked up her Seat Mii ( I get mine Friday) so I asked her to get the Cam Belt service interval from the sales guy (Seat Grimsby) He told her " It's not a Belt it's a Chain"!!!!! You do wonder sometimes what goes on with these people?. I mean they are main agents and can't answer correctly what should be a simple question.:angry:

I suspect the belt is a 'lifetime' thing and the Salesman reckoned it must be a chain. 

I can't help wondering though why there should be so much confusion over this issue. I'ts same on the VW Up forum, mixed messages. i.e. 'Lifetime' or change every 5 years etc.

Harry

The problem with asking a salesperson is they usually have Zero technical knowledge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

The problem with asking a salesperson is they usually have Zero technical knowledge.

Hi James, I agree. I asked my Daughter to get the information as I thought it would be handy while she was with them at Seat. I suppose the guy should have confirmed with his service department if he didn't know or at least referred her to the service department so she could find out for herself. But I accept what you say, the salesman was perhaps not the best person to direct the question at.:D

Škoda says 240000km. That's it.

Who wants to be first and try if it lasts so long? Probably VW make changes for service interval as soon as belts starts to snap at some point. :)

Dealers may have their own recommendations.

18 hours ago, Emil said:

Škoda says 240000km. That's it.

Who wants to be first and try if it lasts so long? Probably VW make changes for service interval as soon as belts starts to snap at some point. :)

Dealers may have their own recommendations.

Is there a time or mileage stipulated  in 7 years or 240000km 

I think 6 years or 180000km for me, if I ever reach that before trade to new car. For sure I'm going to follow if someone reports snapped timing belt in Briskoda. :)

Edited by Emil