Air Filter

I want to check my air filter but I'm not sure how to get at it.  The top of the air filter housing seems to be held on with 4 clips which look like they will break if I force them.  Advice welcomed on how to remove the top of the housing to get at the filter.  Car is a 110PS 4 cylinder DSG.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, nbramwel said:

Thank you.  How do I get the box out in the first place?

First remove the small air hose from the top on the filter box. Then slacken two remaining big clamps on the top and right hand side and pull out the hoses. Filter box is sitting on the ball pin and will come of if you lift up. 

this video is for Golf, but is't just the same.

Edited by P@ul
  • Love it! 1

The 2 screws in the bottom seem to be somewhat overkill to me. It looks as though the clips, front and rear, would be sufficient.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/04/2021 at 12:56, e-Roottoot said:

Bump for new member asking about a Red airbox.

2 things. You're not new George, and the pic with red airbox is coloured to highlight where it is. It is normally Black.

I changed our air filter a month or so ago, I must admit I had to look on Youtube to find how to change it. I agree the screws are in a stupid location. If they are required why weren't they fitted from the top, so you don't have to take the whole thing off.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

At my age one has to laugh about all this palaver. One of the first cars I had did not have expensive folded up bits of paper, just a double fine wire mesh which would stop insects and leaves. One took it out quite easily about every three months or so, cleaned it out with a brush under a running tap and shoved it back in - a five minute job.