CTHE Momentary & Harsh Power Loss

Hi All, been a while since posting.

CTHE running well since new, 33k, never used a drop of oil. FSSH & Gearbox ECU update performed just a couple of weeks back.

It's developed a really harsh momentary power loss under load, on occasion. Could be any time - pulling away, or overtaking, it feels like the engine shuts down completely whilst in gear for maybe 0.3 - 0.5 seconds. If pulling away results in big kangaroo, on-boost it puts you right forward towards the windscreen.

I bought an OBDII interface which seems to work well enough but no fault codes reported on engine or gearbox. Also perhaps of note are three hard taps (pinking) if putting the engine on-boost at lowish engine RPM (say 2k).

Car is otherwise running well and fuel consumption is normal (I tend to get 37-44 typically). Currently running on 95 though I tend to use 99 in it a lot of the time.

• Like 1

Doh, 

i thought i posted here about the Spark Plugs but it went into the DQ200 Service campaign thread up in the pinned section,

Anyway, some Dealerships now change the plugs at Major Services even with the CTHE after there were enough with failing plugs long before 40,000 miles which was the Service Schedule / Guidelines from 2010-2012, then 2012 on even after the Spark Plug type and gap was changed the service schedule was not even though a single spark plug was prone to premature failures.

Best get the 4 spark plugs out and checked and 4 new plugs in just to have that off the list for possible reasons for Momentary & Harsh Power Loss.

Sharkrider's  CTHE as i remember was going along fine, did some spirited driving on Super Unleaded and then when 95 ron went in ran like crap and the 4 spark plugs were replaced under warranty as they were expiring prematurely.

Not an isolated case since 2013 either.

Edited by Awayoffski

Yes, the chain and associated parts are being replaced. The ECU was reporting a mismatch between cam shaft(s) and crank shaft positions, I.e. Retarded valve timing. Still going perfectly well though (the noted problem aside).

• 2 weeks later...

Update: the timing chain, runners, hydronic tensioner, sprockets and some other bits were changed and it's running very well again. The spark plugs were still fine.

checking the chain is seemingly easy with the right tool - cylinder 1 to TDC then a locking tool should be able to be inserted into one of the cams. Perhaps someone on here with access to the tools might want to check theirs and report back (George?).

• Like 1

One of those CTHE important issues really these days.

Best read 'The Lucifers 1.4 tsi Ultimate Guide thread up in the pinned section, how to avoid the issues that can happen from oil changes has been known for long enough.

5w 30 FS Long Life Oil is the spawn of the devil.

http://seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=407682 

Edited by Awayoffski

Mine wasn't related to the tensioner, rather wear on the chain (presumably more specifically the chain link pins) themselves.

but, the engine was switched to long life oil last year, something that I personally suspect is not coincidental.

Get it checked I would suggest, ASAP. You do not want the chain to slip (end of engine).

I took extended warranty when I purchased the car and it was covered. I don't know how much it would have cost but it seemed to take quite a while to do and need a lot of parts.

• 3 months later...