ea 189 nox emissions recall

On 7/7/2017 at 13:29, no1storekeeper said:

thanks for the links found them very useful. have decided to hang fire for a while and see what transpires in the future. it all sounds fraught with problems so best left well alone

yes they do have lots of problems. In a recent article VW said they are fixing the 'fix'. I had mine done and the car sounded like a tractor with less power. Had to remap in the end. The recall is not even compulsory and it doesn't even reduces the emissions (actually declared by VW). I hope this helps. 

Thanks to all for the input on this.... Skoda Fabia SE 1.6 TDI CR105 reg 2011 .

Just had a letter from Skoda, saying they are now ready to do the NOx work, and to make a booking...... Have heard scary stories for the past couple of years about this "fix"... and today I saw an article on the Daily Mail site...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4687386/Thousands-owners-complain-cars-losing-power.html#reader-comments

That made me have a serious re-think, and come on here to check what others have found out, etc.    It is now Wednesday 12 July 2017  time 20:28 ( uk local time )... and I have just watched the "Watchdog" report about this "fix" and the problems it has caused... during the report, there was a short piece about the transport select committee grilling the VW boss about it... to which he variously denied that these problems were anything to do with the work carried out or the fix....  The Transport Secretary ( I think that`s who it was, ) in charge, said she was not happy with his answers......... 

An Audi owner was on the forecourt "plaza" outside the BBC and he reported that he had had problems ever since the work had been carried out... an apparently, independent testing before and after the "fix" showed that the car was, indeed, showing a lack of power after the fix, and that the EGR valve was working extra hard and could fail at any time.  An added incentive for me to cancel my booking came from the guy who was in the back seat....(* I think the reporter introduced him as from some car trading magazine like Autotrader, ( sorry wasn`t really listening to that intro )...) but he was adamant that if he had a VW car that was called in for this work, he would not have it done....   it is NOT mandatory, he said...

Therefore,... with all that evidence against having the work carried out, I am now going to Email my Skoda Dealership, and tell them to cancel the appointment..

I bought the car, from a Skoda Dealership, 3 years ago, with 60,000 miles on the clock,   it now has 91,000 on the clock.... I regularly get over 60mpg from recording mileage travelled on the receipts at "fill up"  ( I "brim fill " so I know the fuel level is the same each time I fill )... and work out the mpg  The car has performed extremely well, and I am not going to jeopardize that to satisfy the ego of the VW management. 

I shall sleep well tonight....... 

• Like 1