5w-40 oil no more ticking on TSI engine

A while back I posted about my 1.4 TSI engine using quite a bit of oil and I assumed it was being burnt out the exhaust as there were no external leaks. Following the recommendations of forum member Awayoffski I swapped from 5w-30 to 5w-40 oil as many folk on VW and the skoda forums were voicing their opinions that they felt it was better.

Now a few months later I can report that not only is my car no longer using any oil but another problem as been solved.

Many TSI engines have the ticking sound when first started from cold which comes from the timing chain. I always believed that this was caused by the thin viscosity of the 5w-30 oil draining off the chain and tensioner overnight. The initial ticking would soon go  after the car had been running for a while and the oil had had chance to splash around the chain and tensioner. How much if any wear this caused over the years is perhaps questionable.

Now by using the thicker viscosity oil I no longer get the ticking in a morning when first staring the engine and I am convinced this is down to some of the oil staying in place on the chain overnight.

If any other Tsi owners have experienced the same results with the ticking noise disappearing when changing to 5w-40 oil be nice if you can post your findings.

• Like 2

Cant relate the problem to my Skoda but I did have a similar, chattering when first starting on old Mercedes 190E that I used to own. A few seconds of chattering when first started from cold was the norm. As you state, not sure as to any long term wear issues but those engines were supposed to only just be "Run-in" at around 100,ooo miles!

On 23/08/2017 at 09:19, maverick54 said:

<SNIP>

Many TSI engines have the ticking sound when first started from cold which comes from the timing chain. I always believed that this was caused by the thin viscosity of the 5w-30 oil draining off the chain and tensioner overnight.

<SNIP>

Somehow I really can't see this as an explanation. So far as I know, the 30 or 40 figure relates to viscosity at 100° C.

Perhaps you should look for some suitable 40W/40 oil to sort out the ticking?

Using 5W/40 may reduce the oil consumption at normal operating temperature but I haven't seen any reliable evidence from Skoda, VW or owners that this is the answer.

ps - how "Many TSI engines"? Let's have the raw data ;)

• 7 months later...

Hello to all, 

I am new at this forum. My name is Dusko Madzar, and I am from Belgrade, Serbia, 

I own 2016 Seat Toledo 1.2tsi 66kw, engine code CJZC (Skoda Rapid clone) . My car was factory filled with Castrol EDGE proffesional 5w30 (VW 504)  for variable service interval, but my local diller change it to fixed service interval on 15000km when they filled Castrol Edge proffesioanal 0w-30 with VW 502 spedification. I also have ticking sound for couple of seconds when I sturt up my cold engine and I have a oil conumtion about 0,8l per 15000km. Dealer told me that it is normal. 

Now it is  my 2nd fixed service interval on 30000km. the same diller offer me again Castrol 0w-30, but the second one is offering me Castrol Magnatec professional 5w-40. My qestion to Maverick54 and to Awayoffski and all others which 5w-40 oil did you use to prevent the ticking sound at cold engine start up and oil consumtion?  is the 5w-40 oil enough good to prevent carbon build up on intake valves on TSI (GDI) engines.