Skoda Fabia DSG Gearbox Failure

I bought a used Skoda Fabia Automatic (2011) with ~40,000 miles on the clock - for about £5600. I bought it from an independent dealer, and it came with a 6 month RAC warranty. After 6 months and 2 weeks, just out of warranty, it developed problems with the automatic gearbox. Initially the dealer I bought it from was helpful, and offered to do some diagnostics on it, but they didn't have sufficient expertise to say what it was and suggested I take it to the Skoda dealer for diagnostics.
I was informed that the Automatic gearbox was shot, and that a replacement part would cost £4000 not including labour. Not only that, but also the timing chain was faulty and that would need replacing too. The total cost for parts and repairs would come to around £8000, beyond economic repair.
In the end Skoda agreed to pay 60% of the labour costs and all of the parts cost, but nothing toward the gearbox costs. This means that the car is still beyond economic repair.

Given the fact that I have had it for over 6 months, and the mileage is now 50,000 do I have any basis for a claim for costs against either Skoda and /or

the dealer I bought it from?

Edited by Andy77777
  • Sad 1

Welcome. 

Someone is picking figures out the air.

That is neither the cost of a replacement DQ200 DSG, or the cost of labour to remove and fit one.

They have added about 30% on before then offering a gesture on paying 60% labour.  

If it is not a complete DSG and just the Mechatronic Control Unit and replacing Clutch Packs then they really are taking the pith.

Skoda UK can do better due to the DSG Failures. Fundamental design and manufacturing faults, material / fluids and in quality control.

So was your DSG part of the Service Campaign and had '34F7' carried out after May 2014?

Synthetic Oil changed for Mineral Oil & a software update.

See the pinned thread at the top of the page.

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Like 1

Looking at the documentation I have with the vehicle, it doesn't look like my car was part of the DSG servicing campaign. In fact there is no record of a gearbox oil change having been done at all.

I wasn't aware when I bought it that the gearbox oil was supposed to be replaced at 40,000 miles. I bought it with 40,199 on the clock. The garage I bought it from did a service that is marked in the service log as "PDI + Internal"

The cost quoted was for the DSG (£3240)  and the Mechatronic (£1102) unit ex VAT [Parts Only]. The problem with teh gearbox had taken out the Mechatronic unit as well

Also they quoted 10 hours labour cost to replace the taming chain which seems a bit excessive.

Skoda were only prepared to pay towards the cost of timing chain replacement and washed their hands entirely of the DSG issues.

It would appear that my only option is to get work done at an independent garage - but the car is still beyond economic repair unless I can get a contribution towards cost from either Skoda or the dealer I bought it from.

• Sad 1

The DSG's Oil (DQ200)  the 7 speed twin dry clutch that is, is not supposed to be changed at 40,000 and some muppets say it does need and mess up the DSG.

There are no 'Oil Changes' required other than from the World Wide Recall or European Service Campaign.

That was to change the Factory Filled Synthetic oil for Mineral, and not all from 2010-2012 need that doing.

Seems like they really want to do the Business.

?

Has the timing chain been measured to see if it needs changing, whats the story there.?

Skoda / VW will supply the DSG complete and at Cost Price and likely free not a full RRP & VAT.

They can be bought new in the crate for less than those prices. 

As to the Labour, that might be some 'Tech Manual Hours', for doing separate jobs.

They are getting a complete ready to install DSG & MCU.    Some taking of the pith i suspect.

If '34F7' was done there is a sticker in the spare tyre well,

if outstanding it should show here.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

Skoda UK can do better than the 60% on the Labour and supply the parts, after all there was a World Wide Recall & Warranty Extension only it Excluded  Europe, 

somehow not In the World.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign 

*If the servicing was wrong, and someone did do a DSG Oil change then Skoda can not be held responsible for that, 

but really the RAC Warranty is a Joke.*

My last vRS sold had a 82 point check & 6 month RAC Warranty and 12 Months Recovery on it and advertised for sale in an hour of them getting it.

I hope the new owner did OK because that Warranty & Recovery is probably going to be needed.)

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Thanks for that link to the recall actions; I got No relevant recall campaigns have been launched by ŠKODA for the entered VIN TMBKN.....

Thank you also for the below - I thought for a moment that I was directly responsible for the gearbox failure for not having an oil change at 40000 miles

The DSG's Oil (DQ200)  the 7 speed twin dry clutch that is, is not supposed to be changed at 40,000 and some muppets say it does need and mess up the DSG.

There are no 'Oil Changes' required other than from the World Wide Recall or European Service Campaign.

That was to change the Factory Filled Synthetic oil for Mineral, and not all from 2010-2012 need that doing.

I already spoken to Skoda customer service on the phone and they would not support me towards the gearbox costs. Perhaps I need to threaten legal action.

Call Centre Handlers and Communication Managers are knocking back things all the time.

You need it in writing and you need to be talking with Senior Management, problem is those that knew the Fault is with VW / Skoda have been moved out.

You are in a difficult position, but do not allow some Dealership or Skoda UK to rip you off.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

?

Can you say which Dealer / Dealership group you are dealling with?

• 4 months later...