Haldex problems scout

Hi yesterday I tried to get up a grass verge drivers front wheel just spinning no other wheels no kicking in to help so I reversed down tried again put a bit revs on and nothing 

So today there is ice and a bit snow I tried to get up a nother bit of a verge and again just passenger wheel spinning no other help from any wheels I did notice last week that when pull g out of junctions I was getting some wheel spin on the front that I have never got before 

So something is not right any suggestions thanks

Not sure when last serviced only had the around 5 months it's got 120000 on clock and about say just over a week go that's when I noticed a bit wheel spin from junctions this car is been a pain since I bought it needed a new egr cooler now front springs one of them broke about 1 week ago just about 8 inc of the spring come off 

And now this not to mention only does 31mpg gggrrrrrr

Not 100% sure if yours is the same haldex as my Golf R but there has been cases where the filter on the end of the haldex pump gets blocked up & the pump fails,the filter is not classed as a service item so most dealers just change the oil,some people have found removing the pump & cleaning of the filter & fresh oil has restored the 4WD but some others have had to have a new haldex pump. 

Here is a picture of a blocked filter & a picture of the drain & refill plugs,its easy enough to do if you know a bit about cars,you will need a syringe or pump to get the oil into the haldex unit,the pump is held on by 2 bolts,make sure you use the correct oil. 

haldex filter.jpg

Capture.thumb.PNG.92ce3c0d73a19cce27db1a72cd72b42a (1).jpg

Hi Mikey, I changed my haldex oil last year but I didn't know about this filter on the pump ! where is the pump situated as I cannot see it on the line diagram ? your diagram also shows 2 oil filler and drain plugs so is there haldex oil in one and gear oil in the other ? I am not noticing any slip at the moment, cheers Stuart

No.

Propshaft permanently attached,  turns when the driveshafts rotate, all the clever stuff is done by the haldex system in the rear axle.  Only engages when it registers a difference in wheel speeds

Lots of stuff about the system on the internet.

Scott

11 hours ago, Lorrigirl29 said:

Oh that' good to know as when I changed the egr cooler had a night mare of a time soon can rule out that and concentrate on the haldex I will start with a oil change In it 

Dont just change the oil,you must check & clean the filter on the haldex pump at the same time as the oil change,waste of time just changing the oil. :thumbup:

43 minutes ago, mikey vrs said:

Dont just change the oil,you must check & clean the filter on the haldex pump at the same time as the oil change,waste of time just changing the oil. :thumbup:

44 minutes ago, mikey vrs said:

My car is a 2010 model I was on the understanding there is no filter in the newer type of the haldex or am I wrong ..

1 hour ago, Lorrigirl29 said:

My car is a 2010 model I was on the understanding there is no filter in the newer type of the haldex or am I wrong ..

The filter is not classed as a service item like the older generation haldex where you could buy & replace the filter but as you can see in the picture there is a filter on the haldex pump that blocks up & requires cleaning,its 2 bolts to remove the haldex pump once you have drained the oil out to clean the filter & housing. 

2 hours ago, mikey vrs said:

The filter is not classed as a service item like the older generation haldex where you could buy & replace the filter but as you can see in the picture there is a filter on the haldex pump that blocks up & requires cleaning,its 2 bolts to remove the haldex pump once you have drained the oil out to clean the filter & housing. 

Mikey that is brilliant I will have a good look and find that and give it a good clean thanks for your help 

• 2 weeks later...

An oil and filter is good preventative maintenance but the fault was already there, fresh oil won't repair a broken Haldex system.

First thing to do is scan the car with VCDS to read the fault codes stored. These codes will direct you to the faulty component/s.

As has been mentioned the pump is the likely problem. Whilst under the car did you get a good look at the system?

Another relatively common issue is the Haldex control unit, they are susceptible to corrosion which lets water in. This diagnosis can often be done visually.

imag2520.thumb.jpg.589428c431ca08793bedb99c25389ff0.jpg

Find someone close to you with VCDS...

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Hi thanks I had a good look about I drove it about for 10 min and returned topped the haldex oil up drove the car of the drive parked on the street then went to move the car later there is no ignition lights no dials work engine starts for say 2 seconds then cuts out battery went flat so have charged it up still the same today no ignition lights car starts for 2 seconds then stops 

THAT won'have anything to do with me cleaning the filter time for the aa to be called 

37 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@Lorrigirl29 - It sounds (sight unseen) like you now have an immobiliser fault as well as the pre-existing Haldex issue.

Not sure about immobilizer specifically but as this is contained in the dash pod and none of The dials are working I would say the issue is either power or comms to the dash pod or a failed dash pod?

1 hour ago, cheshire_cat said:

your car will be GEN IV haldex and therefore does not have a filter    oil change is 40K --- starting to wonder what year it was made as you have "cleaned the filter"   

The filter mentioned is the filter fitted on the haldex pump itself,see above pictures. 

Doh!!!! senior moment !  P. S.   when I did mine @36K the oil was very clean  re swarf,  but having stood it for a week in a clear plastic container there was a small amount of water in it

Edited by cheshire_cat