Can anyone recommend a lumbar cushion?

Robjon

I’m looking for a cushion to provide an inch or so of additional support to the small of my back. 

Most “lumbar” cushions I have found online seem very thick and support the area from the small of the back all the way down to the coccyx.  This is not what I want.

I have found a couple of cushions that support only the small of the back, but these seem modelled on a brick - or as one reviewer put it: “…kind of like putting a rock in your shoe to make walking more comfortable”.

Sadly, the need for adjustable lumbar support did not become evident during the half-hour test drive of my Yeti, so I did not specify it.  Has anyone has found an alternative?

Thank you.

My OH has a back injury and therefore getting comfortable in any car seat for the duration of a journey is a continual challenge.

She bought a piece of foam from an upholsterer, cut it to the correct size & shape and covered it in fabric and uses it, in conjunction with a variety of cushions that she has amassed over the years.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Robjon said:

I’m looking for a cushion to provide an inch or so of additional support to the small of my back. 

Most “lumbar” cushions I have found online seem very thick and support the area from the small of the back all the way down to the coccyx.  This is not what I want.

I have found a couple of cushions that support only the small of the back, but these seem modelled on a brick - or as one reviewer put it: “…kind of like putting a rock in your shoe to make walking more comfortable”.

Sadly, the need for adjustable lumbar support did not become evident during the half-hour test drive of my Yeti, so I did not specify it.  Has anyone has found an alternative?

Thank you.

I  found the Mckenzie lumbar roll effective - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-McKenzie-Lumbar-Roll-Packaging/dp/B003WGIE9S

I tried a few others, but the McKenzie lumbar roll was the most robust / effective of all.

• Thanks 1

I have used this in various vehicles for a good few years now to relieve the agony from sciatica.

Sometimes to sit on but usually behind the small of my back, turned which ever way that helps.

Not really seen exactly the same kind, and it was over £40 as far as i remember, but i had borrowed one and it worked and then 

has been worth its weight in gold.

It is firm, not soft like many seat wedges.

post-86161-0-56439100-1437042406.jpg

post-86161-0-27317900-1437042381.jpg

post-86161-0-97341400-1437042355.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have one of these for use on planes and it works well...

http://www.posturelite.com.au/lumbar.html

However, if I was looking for something for the car I'd go for a remote inflator and something that can be slipped under the upholstery...

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=1762&g=783820&p=783823&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Seat Accessories&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItcvArraU2AIVq7vtCh3fWgBGEAkYBiABEgKRa_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Frenchtone said:

another vote for the McKenzie roll, been using one for the last 30years

...and another for the McKenzie lumbar roll.

Robin McKenzie wrote the definitive “Treat Your Own Back”.  In my view a must-read for those who wish to understand and look after the spine.

• Thanks 1