Oil filter replacement problem

Hi 

My first post on the site.

I had decided to change the oil and filter on my 1.2 12v Fabia. ( Bosch filter P9194).  The stated size of the internal diameter of the filter is 32mm, the actual size of the filter was 31mm

and contaminated with glue at each end. To get the filter to fit it was necessary to scraped the glue away with a sharp knife. The old filter I removed was 32mm and a smooth fit on the oil filter stem 

I have reported this to Bosch and basically I did not get the response I would have expected from a quality German manufacturer. I have now purchased a replacement item from another manufacturer 

Has anyone on the forum come across this problem. I did not want to use force to fit the filter incase I broke the plastic filter stem.  

Hi

I bought the most expensive oil filter that was on offer thinking I was buying a tried and tested quality product. Bosch has now been added to my "never buy again list" along with two other German manufacturers (one begins with B and the other M) 

I would not always assume that most expensive is best!  Another thing, while Bosch can make a top quality product, and is an OEM supplier to VW Group, I don't think that Bosch supply oil filters to VW Group, but like any other company OEM supplier or otherwise, can usually get someone to rebrand other parts that can be used with VW Group cars.  I've always thought that Mahle and Mann were typical suppliers of oil filters to VW Group, so if you found out which one did supply filters that VW Group main dealers stock sell and use in their own workshops, then buying one of them in a non VW Group box might save you money while maintaining "same as VW Group branded" parts?  If you can't find out which manufacturer does supply these "proper" filters, as wino suggests, go for the real thing preferably from a VW Group main dealer who operates good discount via their website - as long as P&P does not lift the prices, some main dealer prices include P&P.

The filters are meant to be a tight snug fit onto the plastic stem. They require a really good tug to pull off and even with a smear of oil on the end of the new filter they need a good push on. This tight fit is to ensure a pressure proof fit. The correct size is 31mm, see here

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER Katalog Europa/Vehicles/CARS %2B TRANSPORTERS/SKODA/Fabia II (5J6, 5J9)/1.2 12V BZG, CEVA, CGPA, CHTA (T72118)/Oil Filter/HU 710 x

I always use Mann filters, if you look at the alloy filter housing you will see Mann-Hummell logo and name cast into it. And so Mann are OE suppliers for the htp filters, ie identical to vag filters.

There was nothing wrong with your bosch filter, I suspect they are often just rebranded mann, mahle or other major premium manufacturer filters.

The oil filter cartridge should NOT be a loose fit.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

Hi 

The replacement filter I have re-ordered is a Mann. However, the quality control practiced by Bosch in my opinion is deplorable.

In my engineering experience if wish to maintain the integrity of your company it is often better to bring your manufacturing "in house". All too often unless you take tight control

of quality control sub-contractors will place any questionable items in your branded packaging (especially if you have negotiated a low price).  You only find out about this when the returns percentages rise to an unacceptable level. By this time the damage has been done. 

Although different to my filter, (1.4 Diesel), I have never had a problem with Bosch filters and in fact, actually SEEK to use them. i use them for oil, air, cabin, fuel and even use their brake pads. Never had a bad experience from Bosch products apart from a cheap, low voltage cordless electric screwdriver they used to sell many moons ago. Even this was really down to trying to use a cheap tool for too tough a job and the Bosch version was no worse then the other brand that copied it, just too weak for more then opening plugs and screwing/unscrewing light screws etc. 

• Like 1

I would worry more that it was a actual Bosch filter and not some 'fake / hooky' filter of which there are out there looking exactly like a 

Bosch, Mann, Mahle, Crossland or even ones with VW/Audi on.

As to bringing inhouse, well seeing as VW Group source as cheaply as they can, and even then try screwing over suppliers that is unlikely, 

then Bosch the corporation, that will be the ones that are behind the Defeat Devices is partnership with all the engineers that the 2nd biggest car manufacturer in the world could have that seem to be deaf, dumb and blind but have Doctor before their name.

If VW could do their own inhouse cheating they probably would.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Hi

I have done a bit more research regarding the Internal diameter of other filters, a Borg & Beck one is 31.5mm.

I still maintain that it is not good engineering practice to force 31mm over a 32mm spigot regardless of the "give" of the material. But perhaps my years at a aircraft manufacturer has come back to "bite" me 

Borg and beck among many other famous 1980’s name is now just a brand name thats been sold last century to a "global" aftermarket company, in this case Firstline. They are not an OE supplier for anyone afaik.

As Mann Hummel makes and supplies the oil filter housing components for the VAG HTP engines, I think I'd rather trust Mann.

Buy a genuine VAG skoda filter and measure it.