Skoda approved multi point check

hatchy

Don't say that! I'm travelling up from Falmouth to Northampton tomorrow to pick up my first Yeti. I'm relying somewhat on their checklist being competently adhered to AND the fact it was only MOT'd yesterday  (with only one advisory - front tyre only 3mm thread) as evidence it is all in good working order and ready for the 300 mile drive home. 

Without wanting to take this thread off piste too much..... is it just me thinking this but is there not a conflict of interest in main dealers MOT-ing their own cars that they are selling? Can their workshop truly independent?

7 hours ago, NeverBuyaLRDisco said:

is it just me thinking this but is there not a conflict of interest in main dealers MOT-ing their own cars that they are selling? Can their workshop truly independent?

Unless the tester himself/herself wants to go to prison then yes they can be independent

MOT doesn't mean a great deal though in some areas. I would still want to check the oil and tyre pressures and make sure you have the locking wheel nut key, SD card with the nav on it etc.

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 3

The conflict of interest i see as a bugger potential problem is garages failing MOTs in the hope of generating work to "correct the faults" for customers before retesting.

Its obe of the reasons why our NCT is independently operated on behalf of the DoT only in a designated NCT Centres where no repair work is allowed to be carried out. If it fails, you take or have your car recovered for work. it depends on the nature of the fault as to whether it will cost the owner for retest - a minor visual like a bulb is a free reinspection, but anything suspension related etc is a full retest on the rolling road, cost about half the original teat fee.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2019 at 09:54, NeverBuyaLRDisco said:

Don't say that! I'm travelling up from Falmouth to Northampton tomorrow to pick up my first Yeti. I'm relying somewhat on their checklist being competently adhered to AND the fact it was only MOT'd yesterday  (with only one advisory - front tyre only 3mm thread) as evidence it is all in good working order and ready for the 300 mile drive home. 

Did they replace both front tyres for you?

How can they sell an approved used car with uneven tyre wear? What's the tread depth on the other tyre?

No, they didn’t. They wouldn’t. I asked them to at least make sure they aligned the wheels then because something was obviously out (More on that later).

There is 5mm on both rear and 5mm on front left (though it looks like that one has already been replaced as the other three are all Goodyear tyres.)

They couldn’t produce the Skoda multipoint checklist on the day, despite main Skoda website saying they should. They told me they would try retrieve it from Progress (Marshall’s bought out Progress Skoda in Northampton earlier in the year.) In hindsight I should have demanded it. As I had such a long drive home ahead of me I had asked them to have the car fully readied for my journey. When I turned up, checked the boot space, got my hands covered in black gunk. Someone had badly stuck down the foam pads on the underside of the boot floor. They had to take me in to the staff loos to get cleaner to get it off my hands. He called the workshop and they said they would deal with it. I expected them to clean the mess and fix it properly. However, when I got home it was exactly as it was previously. Fool me for not double checking. I had to go buy some ‘Big Stuff’ cleaner to remove all the gunk properly and stuck down the pads with double sided tape.

I then noticed a tear in the leather in the rear middle seat (well, wife did and not happy with me for missing it.) I then thought one of the tyres looked low on air, checked all the tyres and they ranged from 1.8 to 2.6 bar. They were all over the place!! I topped up the screen wash - it took three litres to top it up! Oil level seemed fine.

Back inside the car - I lifted the seats to see how that mechanism worked - the car was full of white dog hair so was only superficially cleaned (I noticed more of it today between the front seats!) What else? Yeah... the removable rear light is missing (was listed on the spec but looking back on the video I see it missing.) Also, I assume previous owner was called Richard as there is still a user profile on the Bluetooth setup, which is on the checklist to make sure it is removed (anyone know how to remove that?) 

Now, regarding documentation - it’s my first experience of a digital service record. They printed out the record which said it was last serviced 7/1/19 and had only done one mile since. I was also told the brake fluid was changed last year and not due again until next. I’ve since found out online that it shouldn’t be done until after first three years and then every two years. I don’t even know why they would even lie about that!

I have now downloaded the MySkoda app but do not see the same service info. I called Skoda UK and they are seeing same as me. I have a case open with them and they are investigating.

However, today I went to Skoda dealer near me in Helston. They fitted cill protectors,  rear bumper protector and rubber boot liner. I told them the whole story and got a lot of tutting and head shaking in response. They could see the car has had TWO multi point checks noted recently. They see no record of the brake fluid having been changed. They also couldn’t see the latest service at first. But when he drilled down to separate workshop records he could see it in there. Looks like some boxes haven’t been ticked properly and that needs to be resolved.

i emailed the salesman about the various issues and his response has pretty much been ‘sold as seen and price reflects the condition’. He did leave me another voicemail around 6pm this evening but I think I’m going to speak to Skoda UK on Monday once they have done their checks.

it is laughable that their records show it has been checked over twice and additionally been serviced and I found so many issues with it after getting home. I have it booked in with a trimmer to get the leather fixed, have hoovered out all the mess, fixed the boot tray, will buy a new light, put a new tyre on it soon and get the wheels aligned (I absolutely don’t believe they have done this as asked based on all other findings) .... but I shouldn’t have to be doing these things. It’s a very good car, but the experience with this dealer has left a really sour taste. It was even more irritating when I saw a huge sign today in my local dealer regarding tyre thread (below).

Will circle back next week and let you guys know what Skoda UK say about it all.

9DBB945E-E3B3-4AB7-B651-DA13E9615A04.jpeg

648C9B9F-F3BB-41E0-8F20-FC41EC5E4989.jpeg

C1288100-D8B8-4C64-98D4-736386CE6F34.jpeg

ED419CDC-8BA8-466C-A47C-DC215C91DDCA.png

89BF2770-12F9-4E8C-8147-89CE9CF7BD9F.png

3E87553E-7A50-4590-B25F-5BC4369C93E4.png

• Thanks 1

Oh.... forgot to say, my wife tells me now it “snatches a bit going in to first gear”. I haven’t drove it since driving back from Northampton but she has been driving it regularly all week. Will have to check that out tomorrow myself!!

• Thanks 1

The 'Price should reflect the condition'.   The premium price of a 'Skoda Approved Used car' should mean it is as advertised for that car and for the guff that comes from Skoda UK.

http://autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/97126/skoda-approved-used-scheme

'Trade Description act'  Even a matter for the ASA,  regarding 'Rigorous checks'

maybe or do they check then do nothing about things like inflating tyres to safe pressures before releasing a car?

You have to question how rigorously service checks are done when you put a car in and pay for that.

Screenshot 2019-05-11 at 06.33.12.png

Screenshot 2019-05-11 at 06.31.33.png

Edited by Skoffski

The  article is dated I think. It mentions two fixed services at £139. I just checked the Skoda website and I see under their benefits that it is £159 for first two services. However, this is the first I am hearing about this. I wasn’t offered this at all.

https://www.skoda.co.uk/used-cars/deals

Regarding price, it was originally on at £13240 I believe. They had the car since end of December. I picked it up for £11610.... hence “reflected in the price / priced to sell”. But still, they had it for four months, drove it for one mile, did TWO multipoint checks apparently..... must have been the shortest ever road test carried out to check and confirm all was ok with the car!!!

2 minutes ago, NeverBuyaLRDisco said:

The  article is dated I think. It mentions two fixed services at £139. I just checked the Skoda website and I see under their benefits that it is £159 for first two services. However, this is the first I am hearing about this. I wasn’t offered this at all.

https://www.skoda.co.uk/used-cars/deals

Regarding price, it was originally on at £13240 I believe. They had the car since end of December. I picked it up for £11610.... hence “reflected in the price / priced to sell”. But still, they had it for four months, drove it for one mile, did TWO multipoint checks apparently..... must have been the shortest ever road test carried out to check and confirm all was ok with the car!!!

Trade in price for that car would be around £11,750 back in December 2018 so the price you paid is competitive due to the monthly depreciation the car was incurring whilst sat on the dealer forecourt.:thumbup:

• Like 1

@NeverBuyaLRDisco

The Autoexpress article is dated as many are. Even their sneak 'insider information' leaked by Skoda to them.

As to Skoda 'Approved Used Cars' sites, bang up to date now saying cars can come from many sources, 

this is a change from the 'Ex management cars' that had sh!t all do do with anyone in management other than managing expectations.

Reality is their Approved Dealers shift used cars from many sources, even cars that owners rejected and yet are back on forecourts with no remedial actions taken.

They also sell cars that have Full Main Dealer Service Histories yet might not be Serviced to Manufacturers Recommendations.

If you have a car not Serviced to Manufacturers Recommendations from new Skoda UK might knock back a Warranty Claim, 

yet they put a Warranty on cars 'Not serviced to manufacturers recommendations, so maybe just not the Brake Fluid changed at 3 years, big deal, 

but maybe the Haldex not serviced at 3 years or the DSG @ 40,000 miles if the type needing that. 

Good morning all.

Little update on this one that I could really do with a steer on please.

If you have been following my woes you will know I have been in conversation with Skoda UK regarding some aspects of my recent purchase that I wasn't happy about. They have been pretty good about it thus far. They suggested I take the car to my local Skoda dealer and get them to price up a few bits and pieces that they maybe would look to cover as a gesture of good will (new front tyre, replace missing LED light, polish out some large scratches on the bonnet.) I am due to take the car along tomorrow morning. However, yesterday, in the sunlight, a couple of scratches on the front bumper plastic trim caught my eye. As I lay on the ground to look closer I suddenly realised that the whole front bumper has been repainted - really badly. There are huge paint runs right under the number plate. The paint is a different colour (flat black, not the 'black magic' with a sparkle in it) and various treated areas have the texture of orange peel (if that makes sense.) From lying on ground level looking along the bonnet line I can now also see some pretty poor touch up points on the bonnet. On top of that I'm not 100% convinced the bonnet shut lines match either side of the badge on the bonnet (will have to try find some way of measuring this later.)

When I was at the local dealers last week we were trying to work out the service record. On their VMS there were some entries in there that the guy brushed over. They were listed as "smart"-something or other. I asked what it was and he said it was something to do with the paint and not the servicing so we brushed over it. However, I will demand to know exactly what it relates to when I visit tomorrow. But to me it looks like the car was damaged and they have repaired it ..... and not declared this to me at time of purchase. This is despite me asking them to declare all known issues. The  torn leather seat, they can argue this was an unknown. But if the paint 'repair' is on their VMS, there is no way they can deny knowledge of this.

It gets worse....

When I bought the car I asked for a HPI check form. I wasn't given one and was told the car belonged to the dealership so no HPI check was necessary. In light of the new found repairs and fearing we have bought some sort of Cat * write off we have just paid £15 to the AA and did an on line check. The car is showing up as having outstanding finance on it!! Now, I am no legal expert but I thought you are not allowed by law to sell on a car with outstanding finance...... yet alone sell a car without full declaration on any damage to that vehicle??

Long and short of it is - I have zero confidence in this car and the dealership that we bought it from. I am out of pocket for the collection of the car; I have just spent £230 on the cill/boot protectors and rear tray..... but I just want Skoda UK to take this car back and provide me with one that is the same age (or younger), the same mileage (or less) and the same spec (or better). Am I within my rights to do so? Has anyone on t his forum ever used the 30 day return promise?

As always, any advice would be gratefully received.

670486849_AAHPI.thumb.jpg.69d13c0662f45567fd93e2623e7db626.jpg

Edited by NeverBuyaLRDisco
hadnt finished post

11 minutes ago, NeverBuyaLRDisco said:

various treated areas have the texture of orange peel (if that makes sense.)

That makes perfect sense; it's caused by bad spraying, and is actually known as "orange peel" by anyone who works with paint spraying regularly.

No problem with the finance document, you bought the car from VW who are the lender not the lessee, it was always their property until all the payments including the final baloon payment was made, the car was returned by the lessee.

21 minutes ago, J.R. said:

No problem with the finance document, you bought the car from VW who are the lender not the lessee, it was always their property until all the payments including the final baloon payment was made, the car was returned by the lessee.

Hi JR

Thanks for the comment. However, I don't actually understand what you are saying. Can you help me understand further please?

I bought the car from Marshalls, Northampton - an independent authorised Skoda retailer. Are you saying that the car was previously owned and leased by VW? Marshalls told me it was their car and that they had taken it in as a part exchange - with only one previous owner. From what you are saying, this car may have been passed around various leasees, but only ever one 'owner' (the lease company.)

It still doesn't explain why there is outstanding finance on the car to VW if Marshalls claimed they owned the car. Can I assume that Marshalls haven't made the 'balloon payment' to VW yet? That in itself seems strange as they took the car in at the end of December 2018 and I bought it 2nd May 2019 - seems they had ample opportunity to pay VW off. Either way, surfely this car technically still belongs to VW, until the finance is cleared?

A little insight into accident damaged / written off cars finding their way back onto our roads, possibly even the sellers unaware of the damage..........possibly???

On 30/04/2019 at 22:44, mac11irl said:

@silver1011

Are 20 of that RAC 218 point checklist each individual wheel nut? (Assumes 5stud wheels)

On 01/05/2019 at 09:25, silver1011 said:

Quite possibly, but still a bonus given that Skoda have delivered cars to customers before with missing or loose wheel bolts :blink:

The first 20 would be just to check that the bolts are there..............visual checks

There'd be another 20 to check that they are done up properly................ mechanical checks, Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, the OP is overthinking things, first he must treat everything that they told him as bu****it to get him to buy the car, at best half truths, VW lease a car, lessee returns it at the end of the lease to VW like many do, they offload it probably via private auction to the Skoda dealer, they sell it on as one owner P/X one previous owner, a little old lady who only used it to take her long haired dog to the grooming parlour blah blah blah.

You got a good vehicle in your own words at a very competitive price, there has to be an element of "as seen" in the transaction, as for the checks not being done, sticky glue and orange peel bodge ups its exactly what I would expect from the motor trade, I prefer to buy privately where there is no doubt in anyones mine that its as seen and its up to me to decide on the condition.

Forget what you believe to be finance outstanding, had you bought the car from the little old lady with the long haired dog then you might have something to be concerned about.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

" VW lease a car, lessee returns it at the end of the lease to VW like many do, they offload it probably via private auction to the Skoda dealer, they sell it on as one owner P/X one previous owner,"

OK - but when they offload it at private auction surely at that point any outstanding finance is cleared?  If I now try and sell it on and anyone does a HPI check it will show up as outstanding finance on the car, despite me never engaging in a finance agreement.

Going by what has been said further up this thread, the retailer is obliged to tell me if the car has been in any accidents - they didn't. I also asked them to disclose all damage on the car in the video they took for me - they didn't highlight the problem with the front end.

Unfortunately I bought the car on a wet day. Very hard to see these issues in those circumstances. I relied on the honesty and integrity of the retailer - fool me!!! Believe me, if I had seen this issue on the purchase date I would have walked away. 

Simply you can punt back to the dealership this 1 registered keeper SKODA approved used car bucket of crap if you kick up enough stink. Even get sorted on what you have wasted money on so far.  But get all in writing if the dealership fight you, lie etc.  Get to the CAB and have help doing it right. Even the RAC can help. And on BRISKODA it is easy to get SKODA UK, s attention. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, wanted to update you all on this thread.

I have been speaking with Skoda UK, Marshalls Northampton and my local Skoda dealership, Truscotts. The finance issue has now been hastily resolved. It appears that when the previous owner upgraded to new Karoq and took out new finance, the old finance wasn't cleared off (and he has been paying for two cars since last December!!!) Interestingly, VW finance told me that the dealership had no authority to sell me the car when it had the finance on it.

With regards to the front bumper respray, Skoda UK has for the past two weeks lead me to believe they would resolve that issue at their cost as a gesture of good will. I took the car to local dealership and chased up on the retail price quote to send to Skoda UK so they could make a decision. I have been chasing them for their response and then today, out of nowhere, they said they "wouldn't be supporting me any further", despite what they said on previous calls. I am equally gobsmacked and furious. The customer services guy won't offer any reason for his decision, nor give me any further point of escalation. He said I could speak with the Ombudsman if I wanted to. It's beyond unbelievably poor service!!!

So they have now been messing me around for the past few weeks on various issues and totally run the clock down on my 30 day return. I will roll over the 1000 miles limit on any return if I drive the car back (I live 300+ miles from Northampton). I have also spent £230 on cill/boot protectors that I would lose out on if I return the car. But on the other hand, if I ever try sell this car on, anyone with a better eye than me will assume the car has been front ended due to the sh1tty paint job. I feel properly stitched up, big-time!!

My understanding is that Skoda Customer Services is outsourced to Capita. Is anyone aware of any route of escalation that works with a Skoda employee, not Capita? The fact that these guys have messed me around so much has just steeled me to see this one through to the end!!!

As an aside, the previous owner of this car is a reasonably famous person ..... with some 182K twitter followers. In the absence of any feedback from the retailer and the poor response from Skoda, I really want to throw this out over the twittersphere and ask them about the front end repairs. I'm holding back.... for now.

• Like 1

It sounds like you have proof from VW finance that the Dealership sold you a car illegally............

I think you have more than one leg to stand on

• Like 3