Rear drum brakes sticking on

Hi,

As per title, hand brake is sticking on, on SWMBO's 64 plate 1.2 (3cyl) SE. I've done some research and taken the drums off and cleaned them out. All the shoes move freely.

I did detect some tiny particles stuck to the braking surface so emery papered and cleaned with brake cleaner aerosol.

However they are still sticking on but much easier to free off when you pull away.

I wonder if the surface of the shoes has started to break up and stick / transfer to the drum??

Any advice or ideas on fixing welcomed - probable next step is to install a new set of shoes and see if that sorts it out!

Regards

Ian

A bit annoying that the work you did has not kept this away for a bit longer.  I've found that once a bit of serious rusting has taken place on the face of the drums, you really need to clean it up back to bright metal - or the rust will quickly reappear and you are back to sticking again.  My daughter's late 2009 Ibiza had that issue within its first winter, AA man - SEAT supplied roadside support thing, sorted that out with a few clouts from a mallet.  After warranty was up I cleaned them out every two years, it would not do much harm to strip and clean them every year though, so far, that late 2009 Ibiza lives on at 48K miles and all its original rear brake parts still in use and no more reports of sticking rear drums. (famous last words!)

Did you check the handbrake linkage? My wifes were sticking on occasionally after wet weather/washing but ended up failing the MOT last year due to binding. When I stripped them down, everything was fine, but the movement in the handbrake linkage on the shoe was the issue and wasn't releasing the brakes properly. Cleaned and freed up the linkage to get full movement back and not had an issue since, even after wet weather/washing (tempting fate now!).

Mark,

I have had that before on cars where the pivot on the handbrake mechanism inside the drum had seized - it has its first MOT tomorrow so we'll see!!

I think I'll treat my wife to some new shoes :-) and a thorough check over of the mechanism should sort it!

Ian 

Passed its MOT - sticking didn't even get mentioned by the garage so must be a damp & overnight thing.

I cleaned them both out in under an hour - didn't go under the car so was happy just doing it sat on my large trolley jack / slotted ice hockey puck under the sill.

Fiddly bit was disengaging the auto adjuster through one of the stud holes so the drum would come off.

Ian 

I noticed when I was looking at buying a set for my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza, probably same as current Fabia/Polo with drum rear brakes, that there were two options, one option was just a set of four shoes, other option was a fully assembled set of shoes for both sides, as it was a really really good discount at ECP at that time, I just bought the plain shoes option for very little money, so far they are still in their box as I free'd up the wedges and generally cleaned the brakes up, which still looked okay - no cracking etc.

Edit:- AwaoffSki, you do know that the Unicorn is the national animal of Scotland, just thought I'd mention that!  Also it looks like Fort William will become the home of Scottish alloy wheels.

Edited by rum4mo

Good idea not to pull on the handbrake too hard too! Most folk use the ratchet when pulling it on, despite being advised to push the button in and raise the handbrake and stop pulling when you feel a small amount of resistance. Extra click might be valid if parked on incline but otherwise, it just over-tightens the brake, potentially stretching the cables and causing additional wear to the "Teeth" and potentially causing the sticking that has been described.

• Thanks 2

You can buy an entire set of hubs and shoes with all the gubbins for £50 including postage from Germany.

eurocarparts had a sale on, 50% off so their shoes came in at an ok price too.  In the end I settled for cycling the handbrake while moving at 4am on the way to work on an empty straight road, seems to have resolved the problem (it’s not stuck for the last 3days)

Folks my wife started complaining her brakes were sticking and car wasn’t pulling off the driveway last week. She’s got 13 plate monte.  Yesterday same thing happened and ABS light came on but went off after car switched off and in again.  

Is this something that that needs to be fixed at a skoda dealership (neither of us are mechanical minded) so would defo need to go to a garage. Or could we go to a tyre place which tend to replace brakes as well as tyres...

what woukd i be asking to have replaced?  Issue is if I send to skoda i’ll Likely get charged the earth..   thanks

You could try what I did, and just lightly pull on the handbrake a few times for about 5aecs while on a straight road to loosen anything that may be making them stick.

or, take it to a local garage and tell them you think the shoes are binding on the shoes and it needs a clean inside.  Agree the time beforehand, should be no more than an hour at £40.

that would be my tactic if not confident to pull the drums apart (its one screw and a cap after the wheel is off).

• Thanks 2

• 11 months later...

Let's face it, rear drums and shoes are rubbish. I've lost count of the times I've rebuilt them on my Fabia, my daughter's Fiat 500 and my wife's A2 before she moved to electric.

If the hub won't come off, you can move the adjuster wedge up with a bradawl with the the wheel off and use a torch through the wheel stud hole to locate it. The hub being off definitely helps if replacing shoes. I clean the drums with a rotary wire brush. If there's a lip use a rotary flap wheel to grind down. A coat of paint on the exterior of the drum cuts down corrosion..

The cables stretch too, so if it's a few years old, I'd look to replace. I've replaced the brake cylinders which can weep. Use Lithium white grease on the springs, and a smear of copper ease on the wear areas.

Bosch, Pagid, Febi, Brembo, they're pretty much the same, but I do like Brembo kit. Use new spring kit as a matter of course.

On parking, unless you're on a hill, leave the car in gear and lay off the handbrake. People haul on it which just starts the process of ultimate MOT fail in 6 months. Adjusting the tension on the handbrake cable under the plastic trim is a short term solution.

Edited by spartacus68
  • Thanks 1

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5j0698511-rear-drum-brakes-fte-32152.html

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5j0698511-rear-drum-brakes-trw-31441.html

eurocarparts/carparts4less also used to offer a similar complete kit but I can't seem to find it.

And don't forget 4 of these 

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/6n0609589-sliding-part-skoda-10625.html

Edited by xman
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, xman said:

My mistake, you actually need 8, thst is 4 for each side. These nylon pads are what the shoes rest against and slide over and get chewed up in time adding to the sticking problem

Part no 6N0 609 589 if you want to get them from your dealer

Definitely over forcefully applying the handbrake won't help. Light enough pressure to apply to just enough to stop in the condition needed. (Less application on level road, slightly higher on hills, whether up or down). Usr the button when pulling, as with lowering as using the ratchet wears the teeth and allows you to over-force the handbrake too easily. If parked up in wet/damp conditions, expect a it of sticking. Drive slowly off, releasing the handbrake just a little later then moving. This will create a little friction and help clean the surfaces. Might be worth doing the same sort of thing when parking. Click the handbrake up one notch, say, and finish off the parking with this click. Then, fully lower to relax the system and re-apply.

Clean mechanical is the real answer but the weather and climate will add its toll.