19" tyre size

TheRoq

Does anyone know why the 19" tyre size is different between 2WD and 4WD?

2WD is 235 40 19 - Pirelli P7 from what I've seen

4WD is 225 45 19 - Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport

Just curious

What i can tell you is those Bidgestone Dueler HP Sport are ridiculous tyres to put on a AWD vehicle if you want to use it in the cold, wet, snow, ice. someplace like the UK where fitting Winter Tyres or not is up to the Driver / Owner and many on a lease just use what the vehicle comes fitted with.

Thank goodness they are in a 225 & not a 235 or they really would be ditch finders.

Pirelli P7 just as bad IME.

VW Group vehicles do not half get some rubbish OEM tyres.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

Edited by AwaoffSki

Not answering the original question but I've had a whole debate in my head about wheel size (and worrying about whether I was doing the right thing and not going for a petrol 4x4 Kodiaq) seeing as I have an Edition on order.   Found out that a 4x4 is still useless in the snow without winter tyres and a 4x2 is actually not far off a 4x4 when it has winter tyres on.  Had a look recently for what winter tyres are available as I was considering getting some anthracite wheels but thought these may as well be for a winter set.  But there are seriously few options for the 19" wheels.  Best option I've found is to get a set of 18" wheels for winter.  Both wheels and tyres are cheaper and they have better handling.

Really great You Tube video here:

https://youtu.be/mPyg3ilw3KU

Hi, am considering buying Karoq Edition but note I could upgrade 18in wheels on SE L to 19in but not backwards, I want to do this as have heard the ride is harsh on 19in.  Skoda says I must buy a whole new set of 18in in addition then pay to have them fitted - leaving me with a set of 19 in wheels I have no just for!!

How can I best smooth the ride?  I had heard that there is Drive Mode Select and Dynamic Chassis Control - what are they and will they help?

Many thanks in advance as I wish to make a decision over there weekend.

The ride isnt too bad on 19" wheels, better and less crashey than my qashqai on 19".

The drive mode selection only affects the steering, throttle and (on DSG) the gearchange.

DCC isnt available on the Karoq yet, I think it might be coming later this year.

A shame as I would have gone for that option.

Have you actually been on a test drive yet? I think you'll be ok with the comfort. Better than the Ateca.

3 hours ago, TheRoq said:

The ride isnt too bad on 19" wheels, better and less crashey than my qashqai on 19".

The drive mode selection only affects the steering, throttle and (on DSG) the gearchange.

DCC isnt available on the Karoq yet, I think it might be coming later this year.

Have you actually been on a test drive yet? I think you'll be ok with the comfort. Better than the Ateca.

I agree. My Kia Sportage has 19" wheels and the press describes the ride as "choppy" . Which it is!! The Edition I test drove was for more comfortable. That said I ordered the SE L for the 18inch wheels.

4 hours ago, TheRoq said:

I test-drove the Karoq SE L 1.5 TSI (18" wheels) and the Edition 1.5 TSI (19" wheels). The ride felt about the same, smooth and comfortable, and certainly less hard than on the 1.4 Ateca I test-drove last month (18" wheels). I ordered the Edition because of all it's extra tech which, had I added to an SE L, would have been way more expensive.

Edited by FabFabFabia

19 hours ago, Ricey7000 said:

Our 1.5 TSI with 19" came with Bridgestone Potenza S001's .  Ride was fine , definitely harsher than the 18" we drove on the test drive but no complaints from the passengers.

Just to follow up on this I checked the tyre pressures this morning and they were all at 40psi , I dropped them back to 33 and ride is noticeably better 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FabFabFabia said:

Thanks Ricey7000 - so is 33psi the recommended tyre pressure for these Edition 19" tyres?

Diagram on petrol filler says 34 but only noticed that after I’d lowered them to 33 B)

• Like 1