Emissions Update 23R6

Hi guys,

I am sure this subject has been thrashed out over several forums, but just wanting current feelings

My 1.6 tdi Octavia 2 has been a great car.  EGR, fuel pump and high pressure replaced under warranty, but she returns 50-60 mpg  over 122k miles and has been great to drive.  Never dropped below 50 mpg under the worst conditions, and usually around 54 mpg with mixed driving.

on 18.1.2018 I took her in for brake fluid change instead of doing it myself.  The service manager offered me the update, and I refused it. Then he insisted that there would be no effect on driveability and fuel consumption, and the bonus was a written guarantee of emissions and exhaust and fuel components replaced up to 160k miles.

I stupidly agreed.

Immediately noted acceleration was "softer", there was minor pulsing on gentle overrun, and the fuel consumption indicator seemed to take a dive.

FIrst tank of fuel seemed to indicate a drop to 41mpg.

I have spoken to main dealer, suggesting the update appears to make the EGR being used more, and perhaps  the system sticking on a filter regeneration.    Their suggestion was to pay for a forced regeneration.

Can anyone give me links to feedback on the emissions update, and any thing else useful

thank you

Have a quick scan or search in the Yeti Section, Superb mk2, Fabia Mk2, this section, the General Car Chat Section.

You need to make your official complaint to Skoda / VW and then with your 24 year Trust Building Measures see what Skoda / VW are intending doing to compensate you for increased fuel use and a change to your vehicle with the Engine Management now installed and the plastic tat in the air intake.

Not for you to pay for forced regens or anything else to be done.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Crinkly Dave said:

Thank you.  I have written to the Main Dealer to complain and ask for removal. I thought by now there may be a joint legal action

Dealer will reply with VAG policy statement that the fix cannot be removed. In fact that is the truth although some garages are now finding a work around to the blocking measures.

All your answers to questions and more can found by joining the private Facebook group The Volkswagen Diesel Customer Foum (Emissions Scandal).

There are nearly 7000 members of this group, most of whom have the same problem as you and more. You can also see they are regularly using the Trust Bulding Measures to have parts replaced at no cost. Some are worried about the cost in future as they come to the end of the 2 year limit on the Trust Building Measures.

We at worj have had a good few amount of people in with VAG cars and had the "the fix" complaining of bad MPG and and pulsing. we send them back to VW or Audi etc, and to write a letter of complaint to who ever it needs to be, and we won't carry out remedial work so the proof is left in place.

12 hours ago, Crinkly Dave said:

Thank you.  I have written to the Main Dealer to complain and ask for removal. I thought by now there may be a joint legal action

I believe that Shark can remove the 'Fix' as one if this site's members has had it done. A friend has just had a A4 TDI fix reversed at another map garage and says it's back to how it should be mpg and driving-wise. Good luck. 

Edited by Redboy
Ironic mispelling of fix :-)

3 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Good, how many miles had your car done before getting it?

& that will not be a 1.6 TDI CR.  the last to get the Fix seeing as it was the Software and a plastic tat bit.

Plenty 1.6 TDI CR showing issues since they are many more now done.

What is the plastic tat bit you refer to? Is that literally what they do stick a plastic part in the intake? So they're just restricting air flow to the engine? Dear God no wonder these engines feel dead after the 'update'. 

Ah your right. A piece of plastic tat in the air intake!! The size of that company and that's the best they can come up with.

I liked that part when they said it's about rebuilding trust. I'm no expert on this issue but I would suggest fitting the cheat mode in the first place while being bad enough, to then ruin owners cars with poor performance and reduced mpg after the update isn't the best way to go about it. Comical!!

My VRS has done 78k miles but was responding to the post above mine that said they wanted to revert the fix on their vrs. Now it may have adverse affects on the 1.6 but I have seen no issues with the cr170 so can not see why they would need to revert back to original.

• 4 years later...

last entry 2018 but i'm adding my 2012 octavia TDI vrs 2.0 140kw estate had this update in 2017 ... i noted a previous entry here that a vrs came out the other side of this possible nightmare ok and thankfully it seems mine as well 

previous owner kept the paperwork ... which plays down the Nox update and goes over the top about skoda trust ... to the point i was concerned about it 

i'll attach the paperwork here tomorrow for others not so lucky ... i feel like i just got real lucky however i am concerned for the others not so lucky 

hence me reading this thread 

tom (promomast) 

Edited by promomast