Looked at the Karoq today, an EDITION model

ktm690rr

I am vaguely interested in acquiring a Yeti replacement and so went off to have a cursory look around a Karoq. First impression was that it is a bigger vehicle, but the interior appears to be the same size as my Yeti. The controls for the heated seats and other things along that bar of switches appeared to be a bit low and out of easy eye line, could easily get the wrong button. I had hoped that Skoda would provide a protective wheel arch trim, plastic, to prevent stone splash from hammering the arch, but not there. I am ambivalent about the glass panel roof, up here there is no reason for it, and as it comes as standard the only way around it might be to buy a lower car and spec it up- could end up being more costly. This car had a black metallic paint, there's probably a ponsey name for it, its black and very expensive. AlI in all I need a bit more convincing that its the right replacement. I am actually waiting for the release of the 190bhp diesel, but heaven knows when that will appear and it I gather it will be top spec ! Time will tell.

M

With the exception of Red which is an extra £325. We have both the Yeti and Karoq and there's definitely more room in the Karoq, in the front, in the back and in the boot. I get your point about the sunroof and we wouldn't have had it if it hadn't been standard. Even in the Central Belt, the weathers not that good but it does let a lot of light in on a nice day with the screen open. Layout of the switches is similar to the Octavia which we had before the Karoq. I drive both the Yeti and Karoq and don't have a problem with switch positions in either.

1 hour ago, ktm690rr said:

I am vaguely interested in acquiring a Yeti replacement and so went off to have a cursory look around a Karoq. First impression was that it is a bigger vehicle, but the interior appears to be the same size as my Yeti. The controls for the heated seats and other things along that bar of switches appeared to be a bit low and out of easy eye line, could easily get the wrong button. I had hoped that Skoda would provide a protective wheel arch trim, plastic, to prevent stone splash from hammering the arch, but not there. I am ambivalent about the glass panel roof, up here there is no reason for it, and as it comes as standard the only way around it might be to buy a lower car and spec it up- could end up being more costly. This car had a black metallic paint, there's probably a ponsey name for it, its black and very expensive. AlI in all I need a bit more convincing that its the right replacement. I am actually waiting for the release of the 190bhp diesel, but heaven knows when that will appear and it I gather it will be top spec ! Time will tell.

M

Whatever paint you choose on the Edition, is FREE.

You're going for a diesel????    Is that a sound move considering the forthcoming war on diesels the government is launching.  :wondering:

If you REA::Y don't want the panoramic sunroof, then go for the SE L instead, but depending on your extras you add it may end up costing you more as you have mentioned.

Unfortunately not all paints are free. As I said in the previous post Velvet Red is an additional £325 on the Edition and £900 on the rest of the range,

42 minutes ago, Macdemon said:

You're going for a diesel????    Is that a sound move considering the forthcoming war on diesels the government is launching.  :wondering:

If you REA::Y don't want the panoramic sunroof, then go for the SE L instead, but depending on your extras you add it may end up costing you more as you have mentioned.

43 minutes ago, Macdemon said:

Macdemon, don't fall the propaganda about diesel, they are OK, honest, and anyway I prefer to drive utilising torque rather bhp, lastly, nothing in this world is free, as someone else pointed out it is a no cost option ! Thanks anyway.

M

As a matter of interest, I have a red diesel. If they stop me going into town, I'll drive to the park and ride and use my National Entitlement card to get a free bus into the centre of town 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bowdie said:

As a matter of interest, I have a red diesel. If they stop me going into town, I'll drive to the park and ride and use my National Entitlement card to get a free bus into the centre of town 

Hi Bowdie, I wouldn't tell everyone you are driving red diesel ;)

M

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a diesel now and have just got the Edition diesel on order. To be honest it’s rare I go into the city (Newcastle,Durham etc) because all I want and need are in shopping retail parks outside the cities anyway, and I don’t have to pay extortionate parking fees for the privilege. 

The appropriate bodies are now moaning co2 is raising for the first time in 20yrs while Others are saying now how much the latest diesels are cleaner and that  they are being unfairly treated. So what are we to believe?.

The thing is there is no point getting the 150bhp diesel because the 1.5 TSI 150bhp is nearly as good on juice. Problem there is you can't get the 1.5TSI in 4x4. I would go for a 190 bhp diesel or 150 bhp petrol 4x4 but if you can only get the Edition model with the 190 bhp diesel it will have to be the 1.5TSI as I definitely will never buy a car with a sunroof. I don't particularly want all leather seats either. I'm curious to know what all the Yeti owners who moaned about 17 inch wheels think about the 19 inch jobs on the Edition. No chance of getting all season tyres for them and also no chance of getting all season tyres for the 1.5TSI on 18 inch wheels because nobody makes them in 215/50 R18 tyre size. Well done Skoda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

There is no 1.5TSI AWD DSG available though.

All Season tyres are sometimes lost in translation, Manufacturers call Summer Tyres 'All Seasons' too often.

is it All Weather Tyres / Winter Certified tyres you want.

225/45 R 18 All Weather / All Season, including Michelin CrossClimate + available.

http://camskill.co.uk 

Plenty 215/50 R 18 Winter and snow tyres if you want them, choices of them. 

Google 215/50 R 18 winter tyres. 

http://mytyres.co.uk  will have some.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Karman said:

The appropriate bodies are now moaning co2 is raising for the first time in 20yrs while Others are saying now how much the latest diesels are cleaner and that  they are being unfairly treated. So what are we to believe?.

Exactly, there is no such thing as a green car, they all have their pros and cons, if all the diesel drivers switch to petrol then the co2 levels will go sky high!

SWMBO saw a Karoq today and liked it a lot, however the replacement for her Yeti is likely going to be a BEV.

6 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

There is no 1.5TSI AWD DSG available though.

All Season tyres are sometimes lost in translation, Manufacturers call Summer Tyres 'All Seasons' too often.

is it All Weather Tyres / Winter Certified tyres you want.

225/45 R 18 All Weather / All Season, including Michelin CrossClimate + available.

http://camskill.co.uk 

Plenty 215/50 R 18 Winter and snow tyres if you want them, choices of them. 

Google 215/50 R 18 winter tyres. 

http://mytyres.co.uk  will have some.

Yes I know there is no 1.5TSI AWD DSG available in the UK yet but it is supposed to be coming. I'm willing to wait. 

The All season tyres I'm talking about are exactly that ALL SEASON and will have the snow symbol.

Yes I know there are 225/45 R 18 Cross Climates available and it's Cross Climates I specifically want but if you do the maths you will find they aren't an exact match for the 215/50 tyres.

215/50 R18 = (215 x 0.5 x 2) + (18 x 25.4) = 672.2 diameter

225/45 R18 = (225 x 0.45 x 2) + (18 x 25.4) = 659.7 diameter

The 225/45 R18 are therefore nearly 2% smaller in diameter and circumference. Is this acceptable to Skoda and insurance companies? I for one don't know and wouldn't like to test it out. It will obviously mean the odometer won't be accurate. So, like I said there are no 215/50 R18 genuine all season all weather tyres available from any tyre manufacturer. Well done Skoda!!!!

I know there are quite a number of winter tyres available in 215/50 R18 but as I'm fed up to the back teeth of changing my summers over to winters and back again every year on my Yeti, I promised myself I'd have this new breed of all season tyres on my next car. Now you can see I've done my home work and I know exactly what I'm talking about.          

• Like 1

Good you have done your home work, looked at the numbers, and taken that as an accurate indication of the sizes.

Go into a Tyre Centre supplying Michelin Cross Climate + and put the different tyres side by side and next to what you are going to be replacing.

Your Speedo is not accurate now, but then it does as most do it over reads. 

Changing to winter tyres or any tyres sometimes even marked as the same size can make that a little more accurate or less accurate.

You notice this if you change tyres often enough and check out how your Speedo is with V-Box or GPS.

I have been fitting offroad tyres & winter tyres for lots of years and i know to measure tyres physically, side by side or with a tape measure, 

because side buy side you see that the scores on the doors / sizes on the sidewall are not always the full story.

Brand / tread type. so your 2% by your calculations / tables might mean nothing in real life.

Usually does not.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

As to testing it, insurance, etc,  just stick with want you believe then and leave others to fit what is legal, covered by insurers and safe where they drive.

Tale of the tape being rather important when tyres are on rims of different widths.

Edited by AwaoffSki

7j x 18 225/45R 18    65.97 cm

8j x 19   225/40R 19   66.26 cm

7j x 17   215/55R 17   66.83 cm

7j x18    225/50R 18   67.22 cm

6j x 16   215/60R 16   66.44 cm

6j x 16   225/ 60R 16  67.64 cm  Nanuag / Castor alloys.

Karoq-Accessories-Pricing.pdf             

Difference by calculation of 225/40R 19  to 225/60R 16  is 2.1%

The Owners Manual on 'Snow Chains,'

& 215/60 R 16 tyre fitment and Front Wheel only, 

& Front and back on AWD's seems to get lost in translation.

Edited by AwaoffSki

12 hours ago, ktm690rr said:

Macdemon, don't fall the propaganda about diesel, they are OK, honest, and anyway I prefer to drive utilising torque

Have to agree wholeheartedly with this!

We will see, time will tell on the newest TDI / SCR Euro 6, and the ad-blue use, because some seem to have had the wick turned down to use less still.

Software updates seem to have been getting applied where some had 'issues' and low Ad-blue usage. (VW were not at it again were they?)

The 1.6 TDI is still without Ad-blue and the 2.0TDI is with Ad-Blue,

great for use out on longer runs, car at operating temperature, but as some will know, cold weather, short runs, 2.0TDI /SCR and stinking the environment even if not putting out particulates.

Anyway, 

Gasoline Particulate Filters will be going on the TSI's.

The Fabia Facelift will have the 1.0 n/a & 1.0 TSI with Gasoline Particulate Filter.

31 minutes ago, freedie said:

Have to agree wholeheartedly with this!

I know diesels are ok, its the Government that's the real problem, but diesels WILL be targeted, just watch and see.

The specs dont seem to work for me either! Ive looked at the SEL and Edition (both in 1.5tsi and DSG) mainly. Carwow prices for both were pretty good, but my extras list was pretty big (around £1800, but a bit extravagant if Im honest) so by the time I specc'd up an SEL it was more expensive than the Edition. For an extra £800 over the SEL I could have the edition and all the extras I want. 

Problem mainly is that I want a softer SUV style car over my VRS Octavia as living in the genuine north west of england the roads are absolutely wrecked and they are starting to get real uncomfortable in my current car. Seems pointless to change to an SUV car with 19" wheels. Dont want a panoramic roof, dont want leather seats but then dont want to pay more for a lower spec car.

Looks like Im out until some revisions come along :(

In my opinion It was a knee jerk reaction from the government over all diesels and a excuse to to get more taxes to help prop the NHS up, and some of the public saying oh yes dirty diesels so they should all without properly looking at the latest infomation, but I am not saying the older ones are not dirty they are and the public with the older diesels should be helped to get cleaner vehicles. VAG did not help with diesalgate etc, If we are to believe sales are down, co2 up past the limits set, pressure from various bodies the unfairness of the latest diesels then things might change. I doubt it though myself now the government have their tax and a excuse to get more.

But it’s all down to personal choice whether it’s diesel or petrol, sunroof or not, black or white. Mine Edition in quartz grey, diesel with dsg and with extras. 

3 minutes ago, ExSEAT said:

The specs dont seem to work for me either! Ive looked at the SEL and Edition (both in 1.5tsi and DSG) mainly. Carwow prices for both were pretty good, but my extras list was pretty big (around £1800, but a bit extravagant if Im honest) so by the time I specc'd up an SEL it was more expensive than the Edition. For an extra £800 over the SEL I could have the edition and all the extras I want. 

Problem mainly is that I want a softer SUV style car over my VRS Octavia as living in the genuine north west of england the roads are absolutely wrecked and they are starting to get real uncomfortable in my current car. Seems pointless to change to an SUV car with 19" wheels. Dont want a panoramic roof, dont want leather seats but then dont want to pay more for a lower spec car.

Looks like Im out until some revisions come along :(

I came to same conclusion, SE-L plus options doesn’t make sense vs Edition price

But UK roads too rutted for 19 inch wheels (actually I don’t care about overall wheel size, but no way anything under 55 aspect tyres)

I am also out (as they say on Dragons Den)

13 minutes ago, MikeHig said:

Horacecoker;  I doubt that difference in wheel diameter would be an issue for insurance as it is much the same as the difference between a new tyre and one worn down to the legal limit.

Yes you are absolutely right with that and of course it must be acceptable. The problem with going to a non standard 225/45 R18 tyre is that when brand new they would have the equivalent diameter of a 215/50 tyre that was worn out and ready for replacing. I don't like that thoughts of that as it means if you compare a worn 225/45 to a brand new 215/50 tyre your 2% difference now becomes 4%. it is actually double the amount manufacturers allow for a reduced diameter for tyre wear. Is that acceptable? I think not.  

Edited by Horacecoker