Brand New Kodiaq Key set 'Lost' by Garage

Would be good to see if anyone has any thoughts about this situation please.

The Dealer Garage called today to say the keys to our brand new Skoda, which is sitting in a compound somewhere waiting for us to pick it up on 1 March, have apparently been 'lost' by someone. They therefore need to order some new keys.

These new keys are, they tell me, now on 'back order' and as there is a delay I'm told the car will not be available to pick up until at least end of March.

Obviously this is disappointing to say the least !

Many Thanks

There are 3 things I can think of...

1 - Are you trading in another car or anything like that? What's the impact of this? Have they guaranteed the trade-in value? If you're not trading in but selling privately or something and will end up without a car, will they provide a temporary vehicle to cover this period?

2 - What happens if someone finds the 'lost' keys? Will they be able to use them for nefarious purposes? Will this cause any insurance issues?

3 - Compensation... may not be applicable if you are happy with the remediation offered, but I'd at least expect a gesture of goodwill from the dealership.

It's quite simple really.

They put you in one of their Kodiaq's for a month, or until the new keys arrive, for free.

That's what you should ask for now. If they say no then contact Skoda UK, explain your dissatisfaction and ask them to open a case.

You might be surprised how quickly things take a turn for the better.

Edited by silver1011

Thanks for all the advice!

We are going down the part exchange route but cant really give them our current car as the new one needs an adaption so the wife can drive the new one - obviously they wont fit an adaption to a temporary replacement.

The adaption is flipping left foot accelerator - costs £600 incl VAT

Do you think I could ask them for a replacement for a month but still keep the current car to use for my wife until they fix the issue  ?

Many Thanks

Guy

The concern is that as the keys were pretty obviously stolen (90% certain) then someone (a thief!) can now enter the vehicle with the physical part of the key. I've been told changing the physical locks is too expensive and the dealer wont do it.

There wont be many red Kodiaq editions with a 18 plate around in our neighbourhood ...so the car is not secure.

Not sure I want it any more !

Guy

7 minutes ago, stbarbesurfer said:

I Just refused the car - everyone I asked advised this was the best approach - its a shame as we have been waiting since November and were meant to pick it up on Thursday.

Back to the drawing board !

You going to order another one ? (from a different dealer?)

7 minutes ago, stbarbesurfer said:

Back to the drawing board !

I would contact Skoda UK and explain the situation to them - they may be able to help out by providing a loan car and expediting an order for a new one? You shouldn't be left to pick up the pieces of the dealership's ineptitude.

• Like 1

A hard decision to make, but with the dealer refusing to change the locks, I would have refused to take the car as well. As above you should contact Skoda UK.

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 2

I thought that all current Octavia, Kodiaq, Karoq etc keys were the same. Even if the Dealer has lost both sets of keys, it should be possible to get a locksmith to open the door and then access the diagnostics port to reprogram a new key. They could even take a "spare key" from one of their demo Kodiaq's and reprogram it so that you can drive the car until new keys arrive.

In addition to programming new keys they can also remove old keys, so that lost keys cannot start the car. The lost keys will however be able to open the doors (pop the handle cap and open manually) unless the locks are changed. What a pain in the 4rse.

Rejecting the car was the best option - and insist on a new one as they will not replace the locks.

edit: I should have read all of above posts before repeating what many have already said:blush.

Edited by Orville

Good decision and the best  result for you. 

Not so much for the person who takes possession of the vehicle and is unaware of the lost keys situation. 

Unless the dealership tell them of course!!! 

Anyway, after speaking to my brother who knows more than me about cars I called the insurance company and they said it was unlikely they would pay out from thefts within the new car as there would be no sign of forced entry.

The part of this that I find amazing is that Skoda are clearly trying to be dishonest to maintain the value of the vehicle. They want me to go away.

I said I would take the car if they replaced the locks (barrels). They are refusing to do , even after I complained to Skoda Customer Care.

Its a nice car and deep down I would take it it if they could sort the locks, though they are refusing to do so because they know that doing so will cost them e.g. locksmith / moving car/ possible scratches etc. They gave me three reasons on 3 separate occasions ' It will cost thousands' 'we cannot let you have a car you won't be happy with' (though they were happy to let me have with new keys in 4 weeks and before they admitted the barrels needed replacing') and also 'we cannot cover the risk of repainting as the locksmith may scratch the car'

They hope I will move along and take it no further so 'they can pretend this did not happen and happily sell it to the next person who comes along.

Very poor effort so far by Skoda !

54 minutes ago, stbarbesurfer said:

Anyway, after speaking to my brother who knows more than me about cars I called the insurance company and they said it was unlikely they would pay out from thefts within the new car as there would be no sign of forced entry.

The part of this that I find amazing is that Skoda are clearly trying to be dishonest to maintain the value of the vehicle. They want me to go away.

I said I would take the car if they replaced the locks (barrels). They are refusing to do , even after I complained to Skoda Customer Care.

Its a nice car and deep down I would take it it if they could sort the locks, though they are refusing to do so because they know that doing so will cost them e.g. locksmith / moving car/ possible scratches etc. They gave me three reasons on 3 separate occasions ' It will cost thousands' 'we cannot let you have a car you won't be happy with' (though they were happy to let me have with new keys in 4 weeks and before they admitted the barrels needed replacing') and also 'we cannot cover the risk of repainting as the locksmith may scratch the car'

They hope I will move along and take it no further so 'they can pretend this did not happen and happily sell it to the next person who comes along.

Very poor effort so far by Skoda !

Perhaps an email to UK MD will help.

https://ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-8986&c=Skoda UK-Managing Director

On 27/02/2018 at 22:09, stbarbesurfer said:

Thanks exFiesta.

I will do this tomorrow with order number / car registration/ names of people spoken with etc.

Many Thanks

How are you getting on? (If it's OK to share/tell)

Hi exFiesta

I ran out of energy  - Skoda obviously want to keep the car and sell it to someone who has no idea about the missing keys. Certainly they don't want my custom and I cant fight against that.

This is the worst customer experience I have ever had...it beats Lufthansa but that's another story. I've only lost £75 in the end - the deposit on a left foot accelerator adapter so the wife could drive it, which as the garage said when I asked if they would pay it ' that's on you!'. Ouch.

- just bought a new Nissan Xtrail instead.

Thanks to everyone for the input and help.

1 minute ago, stbarbesurfer said:

Hi exFiesta

I ran out of energy  - Skoda obviously want to keep the car and sell it to someone who has no idea about the missing keys. Certainly they don't want my custom and I cant fight against that.

This is the worst customer experience I have ever had...it beats Lufthansa but that's another story. I've only lost £75 in the end - the deposit on a left foot accelerator adapter so the wife could drive it, which as the garage said when I asked if they would pay it ' that's on you!'. Ouch.

- just bought a new Nissan Xtrail instead.

Thanks to everyone for the input and help.

Fair enough, it's a shame it was made so difficult for you.  

On the plus side - hope you enjoy the new Xtrail :)

Sad. 

Since you are not a potential customer of theirs maybe time to name the dealership involved.

Then customers going to them will be aware of how they treat customers.  People looking to by new or even used cars.

The Dealership Insurers might even be interested in how they treat security of Stock Vehicles, 

and ones that might be borrowed as Courtesy Cars or Demonstrators, or sold on.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Garland Motors Aldershot. Skoda retailer number: 25056

The car was ordered back in November and arrived early February into their possession is still sitting in the compound today.

Skoda KODIAQ 2.0 TDI 150ps Edition 5seat Dsg Registration: HX18YLH Year of manufacture: 2018 Pick up/ delivery: 01/03/2018 Skoda retailer number: 25056 . 

The car is Red, with sunroof / area camera and and several other add-ons.

Rgds

• Thanks 2

Re the £75 deposit on the left foot throttle pedal.

They have no right to that money.    The Dealer Principal or Finance Director should have that money returned to you.

Skoda UK CS can do that and then get it from the Main Dealers if they are not quick in returning it.

Thieving Barstewards.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

PS 
I am a right leg amputee that used to fit throttle pedals, and other disabled adaptions, hand controls etc.

Edited by AwaoffSki