Yeti used as a van

andyasjl

Has anyone removed the rear seats of a yeti and used as a small work vehicle, tint rear windows etc, I’m fed up being charged extra for my little van when it’s smaller than my car, ie tolls, road tax, insurance etc, or is it just too small...thoughts

Edited by andyasjl

You can easily do that,  the seats out and use your Yeti as a Van,

plenty do that and put the seats back in for passengers.  That was one of the reasons many went for a Yeti.

There were commercial versions in the RoI. 

Skoda Yeti Sherpa.

http://finbarrgalvin.ie/new-cars/skoda/yeti-sherpa-commercial 

Pictures in Google images and elsewhere,

A UK MOT Station will carry out a test without the rear seats in with the Rear Seat belts still fitted.

If a problem put the seats back in.

(Once in 14 years a MOT Station would not test my Jimny with the rear Seats removed but the seatbelts still fitted.)

It is the size it is, go look at one and see if the size you need.

If you do not need AWD there is more room with a VW Caddy, different versions.

Still needs Insured for Commercial / Business use even though it is a car.

Carrying tools etc.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

^^^Usual sound advice from George.

You might also want to consider a Roomster, especially if you intend to carry a spare wheel.  The spare does not occupy load space in a Roomster.

Roomster also has greater cargo space, lower sill, and taller tailgate than Yeti.

I've owned and loved two Roomsters, and consider them a far better load carrier than my Yeti.

https://www.topspeed.com/trucks/truck-reviews/skoda/2007-skoda-praktik-ar132366.html

• Like 2

I take the rear seats out to take rubbish to the dump several times a year, less than a minute to take them out and about the same to put them back, no tools required.

In the 4 years i had my Yeti, i had the rear seats in it once, rest of the time they were sheeted and stored in the garage.  I also made a wooden platform that fitted in where the rear seats would have been.  It was held firmly in place by the rear seat fixing brackets.  It  gave me a totally flat loading space from behind the front seats to the lip of the boot which suited exactly what i required.  In honesty a van would probably have suited me better but the Yeti had various advantages that appealed to me, so i believe i got the best of both worlds.

As x19 my seats are kept in the garage. I carry two bikes an mtb and a road bike with just the front wheels removed.

It makes a great shed though as Robjon commented not quite as good as the Roomster

As x19 my seats are kept in the garage. I carry two bikes an mtb and a road bike with just the front wheels removed.

It makes a great shed though as Robjon commented not quite as good as the Roomster

00B60DBD-B06C-4A5F-B3F7-911C807BFCEA.jpeg

• Like 1

I use mine commercially. I have one seat in the back, the rest are removed and I carry all my tools and equipment in plastic tote boxes. Mine's the Elegance though with 4x4 so I already get tinted rear windows. Worth having them factory tinted as it's a proper job, and you get all the Elegance toys as standard too (heated seats, bluetooth, xenons etc.)

Thanks everyone, good info, will be going to have a good look around one soon, all wheel drive and high seating will be a main reason to swap from my small van, mainly small hand tools and lightweight equipment will be carried, 10k  you get a nice car, 10k for a van,  you get beaten up high Mileage box on wheels

A

As others have said it a very versatile vehicle. As your location is "Down South" if a Yeti suits space wise I'd look to try both a 4WD and a FWD before you make a decision because you might find a FWD does all you need - mine's the 1.2 TSI and I've taken it on holiday with four adults, three dogs, a top box and various suitcases and bags and, as long I've been realistic in my expectations, never found it wanting on power, even around the West Country. I get 40+mpg regularly from mine, mainly on short trips, and as many threads on here will testify all the advice is that 2WD on the right tyres generally beats 4WD on the wrong tyres when the weather gets bad.

Think about whether or not you need a spare wheel - with it you get a floor that comes up to the lip of the boot, without it you gain significantly more space and headroom. 

7 hours ago, Paul52 said:

As others have said it a very versatile vehicle. As your location is "Down South" if a Yeti suits space wise I'd look to try both a 4WD and a FWD before you make a decision because you might find a FWD does all you need - mine's the 1.2 TSI and I've taken it on holiday with four adults, three dogs, a top box and various suitcases and bags and, as long I've been realistic in my expectations, never found it wanting on power, even around the West Country. I get 40+mpg regularly from mine, mainly on short trips, and as many threads on here will testify all the advice is that 2WD on the right tyres generally beats 4WD on the wrong tyres when the weather gets bad.

Think about whether or not you need a spare wheel - with it you get a floor that comes up to the lip of the boot, without it you gain significantly more space and headroom. 

All wheel drive is a reason to short list the yeti, about to relocate just off the A66 in Cumbria, looking at Volvo XC70 too, can  go without a spare as only ever be around 30 miles from home in work vehicle, my routes to work are in the Lake District NP, so like the grip when it gets wet, driving an auto on the up and down twisty lanes is great so will be getting an auto same as our scout which partner will be using for work.

will be going to view on next week as not seen the rear in the flesh yet, but I do like the look of them

I haven't used any of my Yetis commercially but they have done a fair bit of load moving.

Below are some pictures from a road trip to Dubrovnik with yacht supplies - included a (uninflated) inflatable dinghy, outboard motor, fore sail, battery, 3 peoples luggage for a 10 day trip etc etc. The off side rear seat was left in, the other two removed. The remaining seat was slid in a couple of inches (as the Varioflex seating allows). As mentioned, the seats come out in seconds - and way a tonne... TIBET III has a spare wheel so has the raised floor. With a sun roof you probably have a bit more headroom when the blind is retracted. Reversing camera was handy when, er, reversing with no useable interior mirror.

ij0d.jpg

8mh0.jpg

urif.jpg

Edited by aerofurb
  • Like 1

Guest FurryFriend

Might also be worth putting proper window shades in if you're carrying anything of value. 

We have Carshades https://www.carshades.co.uk and they are really excellent quality. 

Seemed a bit pricey at the time, but are very good quality and have proved their worth. 

Bought them for summer days when we have our dog in the back as they still allow the windows to be raised  and lowered with the blinds in place. Although we have tinted windows as standard these give a higher level of privacy to the rear. 

And, obviously, NEVER, leave anything of value in the car overnight. Too many scroats around these days. 

Mark any tools or high value items with smart water or microdots. 

Funny that..... Smart water is actually a single word, it's a security product,  but the site starred **** the middle bit.... Work it out :biggrin:

Edited by FurryFriend

One other option to look out for (which I have on TIBET III) is the fold forward pax seat back - dead handy for carting long things. 

Not sure when it became became an option, mine is a 2014 FL. 

On 06.04.2018 at 00:54, andyasjl said:

Has anyone removed the rear seats of a yeti and used as a small work vehicle, tint rear windows etc, I’m fed up being charged extra for my little van when it’s smaller than my car, ie tolls, road tax, insurance etc, or is it just too small...thoughts

I' ve been observing many interesting setups  through out the web. Among those, I marked two of them before which might also be interesting for you.

for work: http://www.instructables.com/id/Skoda-Yeti-Work-Car-Setup/

for camping: http://www.instructables.com/id/Skoda-Yeti-MicroCamper-Fat-Berta-30/

• Like 1

Guest FurryFriend
On 05/04/2018 at 22:54, andyasjl said:

If you DO go ahead with this, don't forget to update your insurance cover to reflect that you'll be using it for both business and private use. 

I only usually have one seat in the back (for my daughters car seat), but occasionally need to put another in. Never bother with the middle seat, that's in the garage! 

When I have the other seat in there, I just keep it tumbled. I commute half of my journey to work on my road bike, as traffic in Hereford is hideous. 

The Yeti swallows it! 

IMG_20180419_071503.jpg