Is Karoq CO2 already WLTP?

LemIsBack

I’m due to order a Karoq as a company car shortly, but don’t want to get stuffed on tax if it arrives after September and the CO2 rate suddenly shoots up. I believe most new Skodas are already WLTP (my colleagues Superb went up a group between him ordering and receiving) but I struggle to find definitive information on this.

Can anyone confirm if the quoted outputs are NEDC or WLTP?

Edited by LemIsBack

I ordered my Karoq yesterday.  I was the first person the dealer had to get to sign a WLTP form.  The form says that I understand that the WLTP figures are not yet available and that if they are the official fuel consumption and emissions figures may change.  If higher figures are published before my car is delivered I can cancel or amend my order at no charge.

The currently quoted outputs are NEDC and most likely when tested for WLTP MPG will come down and emissions will go up.  I don't have a build week yet but was told to expect the car in 10-12 weeks if there are no problems.  Whether it will be WLTP tested by then I have no idea and it is also guess work whether it will make much difference to the vehicle tax rate.  Fingers crossed, but I already have some idea of realistic MPG and I hope I am not being too optimistic in thinking that any increase in road tax won't be very significant.

After further research does appear that company car tax (which I'm primarily worried about) will continue to use the NEDC figure until April 2020 - which is fortunate as the rates as are based on previous years manufacturer outputs and get tighter each year. A sudden change this year would have seen me not being able to afford or even order many cars (we have a Co2 cap).

10 hours ago, Macdemon said:

What is NEDC & WLTP????

New European Driving Cycle (a lab test started in 1980s, since modified), where a car is driven (on rollers) for an unrealistic drive style with heating and air con (and everything else) off for about 20 minutes in a warm room

Worldwide Harmonised Light vehicle test Procedure is a longer road test on a mix of roads and speeds, trying to mimic normal driving.

Obviously the modern computerised engine controls can be made to distort results in one, by fixing parameters to look good. 

Only a nutter would expect to get the test mpg, most people use something like real world mpg as a guide. 

Governments often use a single random item as a basis of taxation, could have used NOx or particulates or combined figure but instead used CO2 in isolation. So Basically just an arbitrary set of tax thresholds used for first year car tax.  And a way of under-taxing those who get a company car instead of real salary to avoid (full equivalent) PAYE and NI 

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, eribaMotters said:

Another way of the government extorting your hard earned, tax paid money out of you.

Colin

9 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

New European Driving Cycle (a lab test started in 1980s, since modified), where a car is driven (on rollers) for an unrealistic drive style with heating and air con (and everything else) off for about 20 minutes in a warm room

Worldwide Harmonised Light vehicle test Procedure is a longer road test on a mix of roads and speeds, trying to mimic normal driving.

Obviously the modern computerised engine controls can be made to distort results in one, by fixing parameters to look good. 

Only a nutter would expect to get the test mpg, most people use something like real world mpg as a guide. 

Governments often use a single random item as a basis of taxation, could have used NOx or particulates or combined figure but instead used CO2 in isolation. So Basically just an arbitrary set of tax thresholds used for first year car tax.  And a way of under-taxing those who get a company car instead of real salary to avoid (full equivalent) PAYE and NI 

Thank you guys.. :) 

9 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Not sure that bit's true. It might be a better simulation of a road test, but it's still laboratory based.

http://wltpfacts.eu/purpose-lab-tests-wltp/

From what Ive read, at the moment its largely test house based but in time it will incorporate real road tests when portable emissions measuring system (PEMS) become available.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1