Car service included fuel system treatment

The car had its 3rd annual service  today and mot which it passed but I have just noticed its had a a fuel system treatment @ £22.50 plus vat not sure exactly why its been used should it be part of a normal service. The service has been done by an independent garage that I used for my old Skoda for years. Joe

VAT is charged by businesses from Customers and is supposed to be paid to the HMRC / Public Purse.

Too much false accounting goes on with 'Service Parts' & VAT.    Either the Retail Cost plus VAT was what it was or someone is at it.

If a Fuel Cleaner or any such crap is needed to get a car through a MOT then good.

It is a Mk3 Fabia 1.2 TSI.  

Someone is taking the PITH.   Buy your fuel & buy your Oil, buy Fuel filters if required,  as for Fuel Cleaners,  just a nonsense.

Edited by AwaoffSki

36 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@JoePeddos Did you ask for the garage to add snake oil to the fuel system? If not, then refuse  to pay their charge for unauthorised work.

No I did not ask, will take it up with them tomorrow Have checked the last 2 main dealer services they have not put a fuel additive in  They also used an engine flush Auric Goldfinger  asked the same question. Looks as if it may be back to the main dealers for service

From the 2015 Fabia Owner's Manual:

Fuel additives
Unleaded petrol complying with EN 228 1) meets all the conditions for a smooth-running engine. We therefore recommend that no fuel additives are used. This can result in considerable damage to parts of the engine or the ex- haust system.

54 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@JoePeddos Did you ask for the garage to add snake oil to the fuel system? If not, then refuse  to pay their charge for unauthorised work.

We had exactly this with a Nissan Micra. Car went in for its 1st service at the local main dealer (not where we bought it from) and when we collected it there was £40 for oil and fuel treatment. I pointed out that I had taken the car for its 1st Nissan service and that did not require the above thus I would not be paying it. They pointed to a A4 notice hidden behind the computer screen saying that you needed to opt out should you not want it. I argued with them that since the product was not required, the notice was not clearly on display and the fact it had not be brought to my attention it was not legal and binding. At that point they said the car would be taken back into the workshop and locked away and I would be charged storage until I paid the bill in full, I said that I would be calling the Police since they were breaking the law by withholding my car (no idea what law though). At this point the showroom (the service desk was in the showroom) was filling up nicely (5 pm approx) and they clearly did not want the Police turning up so they agreed to waive the charge (it had probably cost then a couple of quid at most for the product).

17 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Am I correct in thinking moden engines/fuel systems shouldn't be flushed.  :thinking:

Never had another car flushed before or since and never needed to.

Most or many would unless it was your friendly trusted garage that services your vehicles, has your best concerns at mind, then put your car in for a MOT.

As to a 3 or 4 year old car that should sail through the Emissions part of a MOT, then that should never be needed, 

not some dirty diesel or old petrol gas guzzler.

As to doing the Servicing unless they offered a price and charge that and say what is included then they are pith taking.

If their Services include an Engine Flush and a Injection cleaned, 'whats the worst that can happen',  other than causing your car to run crap with unsuitable 

additives or treatments!