Consumption figures when idling

Is you consumption when car is idling steady in 800rpm?

I am talking about figures that maxi dot shows you.

With DSG gearbox that would be in neutral, or foot on the brake in traffic.

I am going to exclude special conditions like in very hot weather when the climate control is working overtime or maybe battery needs charging, the car has just started, or dpf regen doing its thing.

I am talking about normal circumstances. My maxi dot usually shown 0.7 l/100km but recently this has been all over the place, and then its settles down, and they again showing higher figures as I go along.

I am thinking fuel consumption slightly increased in my car during the years, with now making slightly less miles per tank than before.

With all electrical consumers shut down, A/C off, my 1.8 TSi burns 0.7 l/h. If it is colder outside I see the idle consumption at 1 l/h. That is with A/C off. 

Most any VW Group car i have driven will show after 10 minutes or so of sitting idling 11 MPG.

But if you sit long enough to use 4.546 litres going no place you will be doing no miles / zero / ziltch and have used an imperial gallon.

That is actually 0 mpg then.

Hence Stop / Start. 

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

But if you sit long enough to use 4.546 litres going no place you will be doing no miles / zero / ziltch and have used an imperial gallon.

That is actually 0 mpg then.

I sat and stared at that second line for a few moments, and it blew my tiny mind :biggrin:

My current 1.4tsi is 0.5L/100 sometimes dips to 0.4 if nothing running.

My previous 1.9pd was 0.5L/100 so yours does seem high.

Hopefully other 2.0d owners will reply.

So presumably all these Maxidot figures are fanciful as the actual fuel consumption at standstill idling is clearly 0 mpg. You don't have to actually use a gallon of fuel for that to be the case.   

Or is the MAxidot showing litres/hour at idle as some seem to saying?

• Like 1

0 mpg @ 0 MPH , 

Sitting square wheel going no place fast.     aka as sitting stationary.

Not a lot different from a EU test in Temperature Controlled building on a Rolling road.

Does not get you to work unless your work is driving a car on a rolling road in a building. But that gives MPG figures.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx 

Ehhh it's l/HR.

Hard to work out a fuel consumption figure when you're not going anywhere.

Fancyful maxidot figures ??????

Sorry to say it's spot on accurate,just like it is in every modern car,do you really think the ECU is only guessing how much fuel it's using.

I believe that control unit was called a carburettor.

47 minutes ago, juan27 said:

So presumably all these Maxidot figures are fanciful as the actual fuel consumption at standstill idling is clearly 0 mpg. You don't have to actually use a gallon of fuel for that to be the case.   

Or is the MAxidot showing litres/hour at idle as some seem to saying?

If you set your display parameters to Litres/100 km, the vehicle is stationary and engine idling then it will show consumption as Litres/hour.

Members in mainland Europe, Ireland and Australia would be have Litres/km as their setting and there is nothing to stop a UK member from doing that (temporarily) if they are curious about their idling consumption.

As with all Maxidot or computer figures there is always an element of 'faith', but you would think that anything unusual could be an indicator of something untoward.

I should add that running any ancillary units, such as ventilation fans at high setting, window heating elements, headlights or engine cooling fan operating are capable of pushing the idle consumption up 0.1L/hour and the air conditioner often knocks it up by 0.3 L/hour so you have to take these factors into consideration when viewing a display value.

Edited by Gerrycan

16 minutes ago, 181ce said:

Ehhh it's l/HR.

Hard to work out a fuel consumption figure when you're not going anywhere.

Fancyful maxidot figures ??????

Sorry to say it's spot on accurate,just like it is in every modern car,do you really think the ECU is only guessing how much fuel it's using.

I believe that control unit was called a carburettor.

OK some were saying l/100km above....my point about it being fanciful was on that basis.   My bad not knowing about l/hour showing when stationary when you show  l/100km. otherwise. 

Sounds very useful if you were running the engine stuck in a snowdrift with not much juice left.  Or engaged romantically in your Octavia in the Outback 150 miles from the nearest petrol with the a/c running or something. 

Edited by juan27
  • Like 1

Perfect for that.  taking into account the Ambient Temp, at Air Temp or Ground Temp,  and how much snow around you, and can you open the windows or not, turn the heater on full, 

or not and how long until hypothermia,  or just drifting off to sleep never to wake up.

Very rare thankfully in the UK as you can just go out the car and into the cab of the HGV blocking the road, or walk to the nearest property, hopefully surviving the short distance unless really in the wilds having gone through the closed snow gates.

14 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

My current 1.4tsi is 0.5L/100 sometimes dips to 0.4 if nothing running.

My previous 1.9pd was 0.5L/100 so yours does seem high.

Hopefully other 2.0d owners will reply.

Sorry, my bad. Should have been L/Hour of course.

Very useful information for Taxi Drivers.

Hopefully soon legislation in the UK will be introduced making vehicles idling illegal. 

Already being seriously considered for the most polluted places in the UK which are often at Bus Stations and Taxi rank areas,

also the routes where gridlock is a regular thing, so traffic at standstill. People have low VED because the vehicle has Stop Start but they turn it off, or they have a hybrid but run the ICE and turn off the Stop / Start.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42761147 

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

In all fairness it's a nicety a little bit of code the software man/non man (woman must be pc.....) threw in ,the information was there already used for the eco nanny etc etc,not to mention making the car run (as raw data),and they had to make the display show something even if it were blank lines( still requires coding),same as it shows 0l/100 whilst on overrun when fueling is shut off.