You will not believe this!

Start driving to dealer to pick up new 220ps Sportline this morning.

Call from dealer.

There is a fault with wireless charging box/signal booster on all new Superbs this fitted to. Skoda has put a block on them registering new cars until fault rectified. Apparently only just announced, so long story short no new car today, dont know when I will have new car. Not a good start to my relationship with Skoda.

I guess they must assume really safety critical, or surely they would let you drive away and take it in later for work.

To say I p***ed off is an understatement.

I guess if anyone picked up a new Superb yesterday, they may be having to get rectified to.

I am saying Superbs but may be other new cars with charging box/signal booster.

I will update as I know more

• Sad 1

I do know they have stopped anyone ordering those wireless charging boxes.  They did leave it until the last minute to tell you.  Wonder what's going to happen to all of those people that already have cars with it in...!

I have just looked on here a bit more and its not just the Superb, any Skoda with the wireless charging box.

I rang Skoda UK and there line is "its done for regulatory issues" when I pressed him he said thats all they have been told. More like a safety issue I would have thought.  I had read on here before about concerns how hot they got.

Skoda UK said depending on dealers workshop time the fix could be done today. I think fix is ripping out charging unit and fitting plastic tray. Bet my dealer wont be working to those timescales.

Its such a shame, all my mates saying what you doing getting a Skoda. I know any brand can and does have problems but a real bad start to the relationship especially on new car pick up day, not many of us have lots of those.

On the Kodiaq section, some are talking of rejecting their new car. I feel annoyed but maybe that is a step too far, or maybe not.

I would also assume that anyone with a car with a  wireless charging box fitted will be subject to a recall to have those removed.

How will those guys be compensated for removal of functionality they have paid for?

Some people paid extra for the wireless charging box.  So I would think that those people would be reimbursed for the cost of that particular option.  Some may have purchased a particular spec because it had that particular feature, not sure what will happen to those people - cause to reject the car? - not sure that you could prove that is why you chose a car in the first place :)

That's a crap situation, I can understand you being p'd off!

*if* it's safety critical then it's a good catch and hopefully the disappointment is somewhat appeased and offset with peace of mind? 

At very least I would expect a refund for the option itself and a service voucher or similar by means of compenstion.

Don't be put off though; the Superb is a great car and the 220 TSI engine is a gem.  Judging by the recent reliability survey in AutoExpress, BMW and Audi drivers have more things to worry about! 

1 hour ago, Parked said:

I think fix is ripping out charging unit and fitting plastic tray

maybe this is the short term solution. Take out the offending components now in order to get the cars delivered and then recall for the permanent fix/replacement parts????

That would seem more logical than having to compensate etc. Car dealers/Head Office in the UK are the worlds worst at communicating effectively with customers. Transparency is not a word they understand.

Also would seem that the problem is not that critical unless there is a recall for existing cars or the components have changed recently.

It is must be really dreadful for you to be faced with this and I hope you (or your dealer that is) get it resolved quickly

Edited by Sagalout
typo

Surely there must be a way they could disable it/cut power to it without having to remove it? If they do end up removing it then they definitely need to refund the cost of this option plus compensation. If this is widespread I guess they will have worked out what they are willing to do.

This issue was reported on the SEAT forum as well. The dealers were notified late yesterday of the embargo on releasing new cars with wireless charging system. I suspect this may be a VAG wide issue.

• Thanks 1

Picking up my car in half an hour. Just talked to my dealership and they did not mention anything about that. I have the wireless charger in my car.

Is this maybe isolated to the UK as I am from Slovenia.

Hope you sort it out ASAP.

Edited by shootek

1 minute ago, shootek said:

Picking up my car in half an hour. Just talked to my dealership and they did not mention anything about that. I have the wireless charger in my car.

Is this maybe isolated to the UK as I am from Slovenia.

Hope you sort it out ASAP.

Thats interesting Shootek,  maybe the "regulatory issue" mentioned by Skoda CS is valid then? I'm sure all will become clear soon. But in UK doesnt seem very clear whats happening yet.

Enjoy your new car!

Haven't people said the area gets warm. If so then perhaps there is an overheating problem which might (x 10 to the minus whatever)  be why. Just my guess on the subject.

I have read that this is also affecting Golfs, in addition to Karoqs, Kodiaqs, Superbs and SEAT Leon and Ateca. Not heard of anything else. It seems to be related to the mobile phone signal booster incorporated in the phone box charger, there is a regulatory issue with that. This has been posted on a similar thread on the leon forum.

"Delivery stop for vehicles fitted with wireless smartphone charger, advanced telephone connection and business mobile phone interface

Retailers are to stop delivery of all new vehicles containing certain optional phone preparations to customers with immediate effect.

These phone preparation options normally include a component which amplifies mobile phone signals. Regrettably, due to technical and regulatory constraints, we are unable to provide this function at this moment in time.

All other functions of these options, such as wireless charging and dual phone Bluetooth connection will continue to be fully operational without any restrictions."

See here https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/attention-anyone-due-to-collect-new-car.444013/

Just now, Parked said:

Luckypants you know more than Skoda UK, thank you!

After my call with them this morning about the whereabouts of my car, that does not surprise me in the slightest.

Does the superb l&k come with this as standard, heard on Monday car in uk docks but dealer still very vague re collection date and wondering if I should call them for an update - this is my first Skoda and am really excited about driving it but a little disappointed re my dealers communication with me, they are always just about to contact me when I call them to chase

tyi

My dealer has’nt heard of this. Would’nt surprise me, if it was specific to the UK, with all the funny rules you guys have. 

After taking day off to collect the new car, which as you know I am no not. I thought I would post the latest in case you are interested. I am sure this will change in the next hours/weeks/months as the facts become apparent.

I spoke to sales guy a while ago. His understanding is fix will not cosmetically alter car, wireless charging will still work, problem is with telephone signal booster and its not working well. So Skoda wants to get this sorted before releasing cars. He is not sure what the fix is, software or hardware. I cannot believe Skoda would create bad feeling, inconvenience to customers because they wanted to improve the phone signal.

Then thought Id check with Skoda CS. Basically they said a bulletin has been released to dealers to make them aware of fix, issue is with signal booster and regulatory and technical issues means this has to be rectified. I said will car still have same functionality, he said although he had bulletin he couldn't reveal that information and it would be for dealer to discuss.

So this makes me think something will be changing with functionality of car.

I was hoping to be driving around in my new car in this sunny weather, rather than writing to you lot B)

6 hours ago, GaSelle said:

My dealer has’nt heard of this. Would’nt surprise me, if it was specific to the UK, with all the funny rules you guys have. 

Yeah, we're a bit funny about cars bursting into flames. :o

• Like 1

As far as I can tell, it’s not the QI charging - it’s due to regulations comcerning the signal booster. 

Sounds to me like the RF signal amplifiers have failed international emissions regulations and could be producing radiation either out of the approved cellular bands, or harmonics above the regulated limits.  The regs prohibit apparatus that generates harmful signals as it ‘technically’ becomes an unlicensed radio transmitter!

Likely the hardware manufacturer has an expensive fix on their hands as they will have to make replacements, and a lot of them!  All at their own expense too.

• Like 1

So much useful information on here which I am inclined to take more notice of that what I am hearing from dealer. Thank you!

I know when things happen quickly information is hard to come by and changes by the hour, But it would have helped the situation if Skoda sent a note to dealers as they sent a block on releasing new cars saying something like. "There is an issue with the signal booster, that means it doesnt meet UK regulations, as a result this element is being disabled, wireless charging will continue to work and the car will not be altered cosmetically". The lack of information made the situation worse and the dealers position much more difficult.

I was driving to dealer to collect new car when I had the call. So after the shock and disappointment of that call. I was sitting at home after taking the day off work pondering would the new car be left with a big hole were the phone box was? Would a bit a dodgy fix lead to the dreaded rattles I read so much on this forum about? Would my car be tainted in the future, known as one of the Superbs with the crappy phone box fix affecting future value. I know it sounds OTT but when you are buying a car with a list price of £38k issues like this cause doubts.

I am told all cars with this fitted will be subject to recall. Must be a difficult position if you have a car with a feature you like and could possibly be very important to you and it is removed for regulatory issues. As we know many of us are very attached to our motors.

It was a crap day yesterday, which I was hoping would have been a fun day. Calls to dealer, Skoda UK, writing on here, sorting re insuring my old car.

I feel much better today after sleeping on it.

I hope again on Monday things will be clearer with the dealer, and they can put in writing exactly whats happening re fix, timescales, loss of functionality etc.

Thank you all for the information and advice. I hope if/when I do get my new Superb I will be able to contribute to this forum in a more positive way!