Water ingress in spare wheel well (Estate)

Afternoon...

Decided to give the car a proper internal clean today which included a full clean of the boot.

When removing the spare wheel insert (I don't have a spare) I was shocked to find around 5mm of water in the wheel well.

I have not done a test to try and find root cause, but can confirm nothing has been spilt and that the polystyrene insert was bone dry on the inside so the water must be from rain water making its way in.

I checked the boot pillers and all is clean so unless its getting into the boot via the side catches I dunno where else it could be getting in.

Anyone else experienced this or at least checked theirs....

20180512_163316.jpg

Edited by RickTT

Guest FurryFriend

Looking at the picture of your boot floor, to the right of where the spare wheel latch would go... are those 2 holes? 

Has your car ever been fitted with a tow bar? Often, sellers will remove them, (and of course it's never been used for towing Sir), and don't seal up the fitting holes..... maybe. 

Hope you find it. I once found my spare wheel bobbing around in 4 inches of water in  the boot of my Rover... which explained the bumping I'd been hearing every time I braked. 

Light seals are a good bet as already identified. As is a number plate that has fixing bolts drilled badly and not sealed. ;)

Water gets in everywhere by the tiniest holes. 

Edited by FurryFriend

4 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

Looking at the picture of your boot floor, to the right of where the spare wheel latch would go... are those 2 holes? 

Has your car ever been fitted with a tow bar? Often, sellers will remove them, (and of course it's never been used for towing Sir), and don't seal up the fitting holes..... maybe. 

Hope you find it. I once found my spare wheel bobbing around in 4 inches of water in  the boot of my Rover... which explained the bumping I'd been hearing every time I braked. 

Light seals are a good bet as already identified. As is a number plate that has fixing bolts drilled badly and not sealed. ;)

Water gets in everywhere by the tiniest holes. 

No holes anywhere... All sealed hence no release of water...

Its got a factory fit towbar fitted ... Will be mentioning it to the dealer when it goes in on Tuesday for another fault they can't fix !!!

4th visit...

Edited by RickTT

Guest FurryFriend

Only other 'self fix' I can suggest is to wait till later on, find a really dark spot, or cover the boot area, put the brightest lamp you can get hold of into the boot, shut the lid, and then, once your eyes have acclimatised have a crawl around /look around the whole boot cavity. 

Sometimes, the simplest solutions work. 

I had the same problem about a year ago.

It was noticed by the garage at the car's first service and went back a few weeks later to be sorted.

It took them about 3 weeks to find and repair the problem - unfortunately I am not sure exactly what the fault was.

I do know that the tailgate and a number of other panels had to be removed in order to find and cure the leak.

The problem has not re-occurred.

My car does not have a tow bar.

Tony

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RickTT said:

Cheers.. its back in the dealer in the morning so we will see what they say this time.

Let me know if you get it sorted.  Not come across it yet, but then we haven't had that much rain.  After lots of rain I'll take a check (I also have the factory towbar) and see if the same applies.

• Like 1

Not had this on and recent cars although Yeti did leak via sunroof drain tubes. One tip I remember from the old days was to 'puff' talcum power around the boot and the water coming in would leave a trail

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 14/05/2018 at 14:46, RickTT said:

Cheers.. its back in the dealer in the morning so we will see what they say this time.

This post is a few years old but I have the exact same issue, I also have a factory fitted towbar, did you find out what the cause was?

• 6 months later...
On 17/12/2020 at 13:34, McDuck said:

This post is a few years old but I have the exact same issue, I also have a factory fitted towbar, did you find out what the cause was?

Did you make any progress?

No, someone said it could be to do with the lights in the boot lid and to swap them out.  But they work if I try them in the front of the car, the ones from the front of the car don't work in the boot.
If I leave both boot lights disconnected the torch works?

I may take it to a garage to be looked at.