cam belt change time

mickey the vrs

Cheap if it includes water pump and toothed belt for water pump.

Another thing is how honest dealer is if they recommend belt change already. 

Sounds way too early.  VW (the manufacturers/designers) suggest 165k miles as an inspection only with no age limit.  UK dealers suggest otherwise, but then "they would say that wouldn't they" as they're in the business of selling mechanics time.  In reality, the UK dealers are suggesting the manufacturer has got it wrong.  Has anyone on here known a belt fail?

• Thanks 1

Have had a call from my Skoda dealer(Garlands Aldershot) to tell me they have checked the service requirement with HQ and guess what? Cam belt only needs an inspection at 5 years not a change! At last a dealer who checks the facts. £50 inspection charge not £300 +. Well done Garland.

On 17/05/2018 at 20:50, Snaefell said:

Sounds way too early.  VW (the manufacturers/designers) suggest 165k miles as an inspection only with no age limit.  UK dealers suggest otherwise, but then "they would say that wouldn't they" as they're in the business of selling mechanics time.  In reality, the UK dealers are suggesting the manufacturer has got it wrong.  Has anyone on here known a belt fail?

Bought a VW Golf in the 80s.  It was one if the first that VW said did not require an early oil change (1 month/1,000 miles I think).  Irrespective of whether that was good or not so good, the dealer had put stickers on the owners manual and the service book saying along the lines of "although VW do not require a 1,000 mile oil change we recommend you have this done within 1 month or 1,000 miles whichever is sooner".

Clearly it was not in the dealer's financial interest to follow VW's servicing regime.  Call me cynical... but if ŠKODA says the belt will last for over 100,000 miles, why would you change it at 43k?

indeed if the belt failed before then, would there not be a potential claim for a part having failed before the end of its planned life?

John

Edited by jst_at_home

• 5 years later...

I have a 2015 Skoda Citigo SE 1.0L Petrol with 40,000 miles. The latest full service (at a regular i.e. non-Skoda or VW garage) raised the issue about timing belt replacement and I duly checked the forums, just as I did a couple of years back for our Octavia. I emailed Skoda Europe and Skoda UK the screenshot that I'd seen posted on a VW Up! forum which mentioned "visual inspection only after 240,000 km." Skoda Europe just referred me to Skoda UK, so I didn't get to compare their answers. Here's Skoda UK's Customer Service response from this morning:

I'd like to inform you that I've been in contact with our internal Technical Team regarding the timing belt service interval for your 2015 Skoda Citigo SE with the 1.0 L petrol engine. According to their response, the recommended timing belt replacement interval for this specific model is after 15 years, with no specific mileage stipulation.

That's reassured me that I can wait another few years until it needs changing.

• Thanks 1