Software update

Anyone had their dealer ring up and say "There is a software update for your Fabia"...? I asked what the update is for but the dealer said they don't know just there's an update and can be done.

I checked the VIN number on the infotainment update and nothing needs doing.. could be an ECU update? Worth getting it done?

Let me know if anyone else has had this on their 2016 Fabia 1.2 90 cars?

• Like 1

Whoever at the dealership called you, so just get back onto them and this time ask for someone with a clue to speak with you.

Ask if a Service Campaign, a Skoda Secret Service Campaign, or a 'Need to know' and not telling you campaign,  'Trust us', we know what we are doing!

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

Surely not 'Safety related' or Safety Critical''.

They can tell you what the update is and why it needs doing, and they can send the info by Email.  or have a competent person do it.

Or just ask Skoda UK Customer Services in writing.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

It takes a special kind of idiot to be given the job of calling valued customers about a Service Campaign and then to be clueless why they are calling, 

or to pretend they have no idea why they are asking a customer / owner to spend time taking a vehicle into them.

At least this one has not said there is a Recall!.  When there is not a Recall, but then who would know when it is like the muppet roadshow with Skoda / VW UK.

Edited by Offski

Yeah I’ll call them back tomorrow and ask specifically what it is! Probably an air con software upgrade! HA Honestly if my dealer calls me again about my air con needs servicing I’m throwing a GDPR request to reticence all my details.,

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

My car went in for service today, told there was an update to put on to make the battery run more efficiently.   Update not gone on properly and dealer says they are working with Skoda to sort out the problem. They say Skoda have told them not to release the car until it’s so sorted.  Fortunately I have a courtesy car.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jon45 said:

My car went in for service today, told there was an update to put on to make the battery run more efficiently.   Update not gone on properly and dealer says they are working with Skoda to sort out the problem. They say Skoda have told them not to release the car until it’s so sorted.  Fortunately I have a courtesy car.

I had that update done in March this year.

As in another thread people trust the professionals.  They might ask and the Service desk staff can not or will not tell.

They ask them to ask in the workshop and still are not told.

The Software Update or Enhancement Info should be printed and given to the person that owns a car or drives it,  simple as that, hard copy if they want.

Explained reason for a Service Campaign or TPI.

It is not Confidential or covered by Data Protection, just Simply Clever to be open with customers.

Can't believe I am reading this now, had ours in the weekend for MOT and an unplanned software update. Only to find out the update has failed and now the car will not even start! I am not sure if its professionals or monkeys they have in the service department but I may take a pack of bananas when they finally get the car running again just in case.

2 hours ago, James777 said:

Can't believe I am reading this now, had ours in the weekend for MOT and an unplanned software update. Only to find out the update has failed and now the car will not even start! I am not sure if its professionals or monkeys they have in the service department but I may take a pack of bananas when they finally get the car running again just in case.

I do wonder if Skoda  bought in electronics from different suppliers and a difference is now com going to light.  May not be a dealer problem but Skoda HQ.

Bosch were the designers of the Engine Management / Defeat Device that VW Group used, they Bosch said do not hold us responsible we are a contractor, 

we are not the cheats and frauds.

VW buy in many things from many people, VW have an Engineer shortage because VW are liars and cheats and Engineers are serving time in Jail because they are 

also Deaf, Dumb and Blind,  The Managers & CEO's that are Qualified Engineers with Doctor before their name know nothing they just sign off the Production.

Edited by Offski

3 minutes ago, Offski said:

Bosch were the designers of the Engine Management / Defeat Device that VW Group used, they Bosch said do not hold us responsible we are a contractor, 

we are not the cheats and frauds.

Bosch design, manufacture the ECUs and write software to customer specifications. VW ask them for test features to be included. The ecu is full of factory only accessible features. Bosch did what was asked. VW test engineers deliberately abused the features to game emission tests.

Who are really to blame?

• Like 1