Coasting in Normal/Sport

I have a feeling I know the answer to this already... but is it possible to program the DSG 'box using VCDS or any other tool to coast when in Normal (not bothered about Sport, but I guess if it's possible in one, it would be in the other)? I'm getting fed up of having to select 'eco' or 'individual' every time I start the engine to reset the DSG 'box back into Eco mode... and I only use it because of the coasting function which I've finally got used to and how to take advantage of.

Really annoys me that the DSG mode always reverts back to normal, even though the remainder of the mode selection is remembered.

• Like 1

Might be easier to make a VCDS adjustment to remember last drive mode instead. That's got to be possible and would imagine easier than applying the specific freewheel capability into normal mode. Just a thought .. not unlike remembering high beam assist setting for example ..

Edited by jasoncmiles

3 hours ago, jasoncmiles said:

remember last drive mode instead

That's where it gets complicated - it remembers the 'drive mode'... but the DSG 'box resets itself. So you end up in a silly situation where everything (throttle response etc.) is in 'eco', but the DSG 'box is in 'normal'.

Ah, I had not realised that. That is rather bizarre to remember one and not the other. Must admit I usually use normal mode as I have not managed to get used to the coasting function. Old dog and new tricks and all that. Do you find that you get some fuel savings with that mode?

2 hours ago, jasoncmiles said:

Do you find that you get some fuel savings with that mode?

Depends how you drive more than which mode you're in, to be honest. You can get pretty good mpg in normal/sport if you have a feather-touch with your right foot, and you can get ****-poor mpg in eco if you treat the accelerator as an on-off switch :D.

But yes, the coasting function does help in the pursuit of economy gains, once you've learnt how it work, when it kicks in, that you need to react a second quicker when putting your foot back on the accelerator because the DSG 'box need to go back into gear...

It's hard to quantify though, the mpg has steadily been getting better from new anyway as you'd expect. So I have no idea if my ever-increasing mpg is down to just that or if my driving style and learning how to use the eco functions on the car (like the ACT and coasting) is also making a difference.

6 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

the engine is still running so using fuel

I'm scratching my head, wondering if you're being serious or not...

If there is no accelerator input, then the engine is idling - I think we can agree on that. However, if a gear is engaged, then the engine is pushing against that gear, and all the friction and everything else slows the car down. If you put a car into neutral and coast along, then it will slow down more gradually and so you can keep the engine idling for longer rather than having to use the accelerator to combat the friction of the gear.

I'll agree that the savings are minimal, but they are still there and they do add up if you use the coasting function properly. If you use it at the wrong time and/or slow down too much, then no, you're going to waste fuel accelerating back up to speed. So you do have to learn when to use it and how to use it in order to get the maximum benefit from it.

• Like 1

Let's not do the in-gear out-of-gear coasting and fuel consumption argument. It's been done on here (and every other motoring forum) to death over the years.

There are valid arguments for and against but one thing is for sure, no one will ever agree :D

Earlier this week I traveled from North Wales home to Hertfordshire -  About 250 miles. 

Used Eco all the way and made use of the coast feature.  I have the most economical version of the Kodiaq - (Diesel 2wd) and got average mpg over the whole journey of 59mpg(!)

I'd like to try that journey again in Normal/Sport to see how it compares. 

Mantrahalos

26 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Let's not do the in-gear out-of-gear coasting and fuel consumption argument. It's been done on here (and every other motoring forum) to death over the years.

There are valid arguments for and against but one thing is for sure, no one will ever agree :D

Did someone coast off with boredom of the topic 8-)

• Like 1

'Coasting function' and economy or not is dead easy to check.

If you do regular trips that are identical just do not use Cruise Control or any other fancy assist and in 'D' do the trip sometimes where your toe is always touching the throttle and D6  or D7 shows, and do a journey where you always lift off the throttle and just 'D' shows.

For me over 18 months on my weekly drive the difference can be 630 miles from a tank when just driving with little thought, and 730 miles from the same 63 litres used when thinking 'coast' toe off the throttle.

Journey times are the same on the regular 340 mile round trips.

2 hours ago, Offski said:

'Coasting function' and economy or not is dead easy to check.

If you do regular trips that are identical just do not use Cruise Control or any other fancy assist and in 'D' do the trip sometimes where your toe is always touching the throttle and D6  or D7 shows, and do a journey where you always lift off the throttle and just 'D' shows

Interesting... are you saying you can coast with the 'box in normal (D)? Coasting only kicks in with the 'box in Eco (E) on mine.

WiggosSideburn,

My SEAT does not have ECO mode or such, i have a basic 2.0TDI SCR 150ps DSG Alhambra, but i also drive various other cars / vans with DSG, petrol or diesel and just adjust the mirror, seat and if i need the stop start off hit the A/C.   

eg drive them as they come, and use the 'Coasting' function when available, and the shifter goes back to 'S' if i want to slow down, or i use manual changes.

Small turbo engines with direct injection are capable of idling at really low consumption rates, the 1.4tsi in my 2014 mk3 Octavia indicates consumption of 0.5l/hour at a warmed up 750 rpm (no ancillaries running).

This means that if you are coasting at just 20kph the consumption is around 40km per litre or 2.5l/100 or over 100mpg. Coasting at 40kph better than 200mpg

Raise revs to 1000rpm and consumption rises to 0.7l/hour, 1500rpm=1.0l/hour and 2000rpm= 1.4l/hour.

My point is that if you are on a slight down gradient and to avoid slowing while in gear you have to apply a small amount of throttle to maintain speed then consumption will be higher than coasting.

If the gradient is steep enough that you require in gear engine braking to avoid exceeding a speed limit then, happy days as you are using no fuel.

I think coasting has potential in certain circumstances especially in slow moving traffic, the only problem then is on a multi lane highway if you leave a small gap to the car in front then the BMW in the adjacent lane always fills obliged to fill it, even if your lane is nominally slower

You are not 'coasting' in slow moving traffic if you touch the throttle, it goes into gear, maybe a low gear.

On steep gradients the car knows the gradient and engages gear and it the displays 'D6'  D5 or what ever and not just 'D'.

As you see with a DSG going down a hill the 'immediate consumption' can display 200 mpg, which would be nice if you can find a 200 mile down hill to see how that goes.

It is still nice getting up slopes and be able to lift the toe off the throttle and the gears disengage once you are maintaining speed on the flat or downhill as no load on the engine. You have to get used to it obviously, only a few minutes required... but as long as you know about it, some get in hire cars and are unaware.

Often easier just to touch the throttle, some end up touch the brakes though.

Now with the latest 1.5 TSi EVO you can have the engine actually shut down, not just the 2 cylinders or the DSG disengage.

Front and rear sensors now have vehicles slowing down if some vehicle jumps into the safe space infront,

or following vehicles at the speed of those in front.

Merc / BMW / Audi / Jaguar/ RangeRover drivers must these days inhibit the distance sensors to sit up others jacksy.

(all the better when washing your windscreen while activating  their wipers..)

DSCN1213.JPG

Edited by Offski

1 hour ago, Offski said:

Now with the latest 1.5 TSi EVO you can have the engine actually shut down

Undoubtedly clever... but I don't like the idea of that for some unexplainable reason.

• 10 months later...

Old thread, but interesting topic!

Does anyone know if the new 1.5s fully shut down in the kodiaq?

I currently have a BMW 320i which has an 8 speed auto box. It coasts (engine on) in 'eco pro' mode but most of the time it seems to do it when I actually want the car to slow down!

I regularly drive from Manchester to London in the car, 400 or so mile round trip. My best run in eco pro mode I managed around 47-48mpg

This week I drove down one evening and I did the trip in around 3 hrs, sticking religiously to 70mph (using speed limiter) average mpg was 46.something according to the computer.

I found the option to disable coasting for the return leg, and even though I hit traffic and it took 1 hour longer to get home, my average mpg was 50.5mpg.

I expect it makes more of a benefit on diesels or cars with short gearing. The BMW has a very high top gear, 1600rpm at 70mph and there is very little engine braking from this engine. So i am convinced that I am using more fuel with coasting.

having the engine completely shut down for coasting makes a lot more sense!