England EV Charging points, a proposal. & location & news on new charging hubs in England & Wales.

Ootohere

Why just a 'Proposal' from Chris Grayling MP, has he and Philip Hammond MP & Theresa May MP along with Michael Gove MP not had long enough to check it out, see that they will have the Electricity available and the National Grid and utilities from suppliers to the properties in place,

then make the announcement, 'all new homes and work places and car parks in England must have Electric Vehicle charging facilities' .

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44759150 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

Manufacturers and trade associations probably own the Cons.  Mustn’t upset them if you want to keep them as sponsors, perhaps.

• Like 1

Probably House Builders and Property Developers are the ones that worry the Tories.

As to the Charging Point Facilities being part of the build and insitu that is no huge step, developers and builders should be doing that as a matter of course, the Government just need the tax incentive for that.

Issue is all New Homes have no Parking for cars, vans etc.   Not everyone has a Drive & Garage or a parking place, but then not everyone has a vehicle.

Simply Clever or just Sensible from a House Builder of new homes in Perth Scotland & elsewhere.

it is 'incorporating cables'  not installing chargers......

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-42832175 

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 09/07/2018 at 08:45, Offski said:

Probably House Builders and Property Developers are the ones that worry the Tories.

As to the Charging Point Facilities being part of the build and insitu that is no huge step, developers and builders should be doing that as a matter of course, the Government just need the tax incentive for that.

Issue is all New Homes have no Parking for cars, vans etc.   Not everyone has a Drive & Garage or a parking place, but then not everyone has a vehicle.

Simply Clever or just Sensible from a House Builder of new homes in Perth Scotland & elsewhere.

it is 'incorporating cables'  not installing chargers......

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-42832175 

I don't see how houses not being built with chargers is a barrier, throw a few hundred quid at a sparky and job done.

Whats stopping people is that electric car ownership is more expensive than an ICE.

9 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

I don't see how houses not being built with chargers is a barrier, throw a few hundred quid at a sparky and job done.

Whats stopping people is that electric car ownership is more expensive than an ICE.

I thought that too until I discovered the cost of a leaf was the same as getting another octavia. But now I'll save £1000 a year on petrol and £140 VED. Servicing is cheaper too. 

Only downside is that Nissan dealers appear to be crappy. And the internal finish of the leaf feels cheaper than the octavia. 

• Like 2

The extra cable cost to run to the point where a charger is not even 50 quid.  And it is just the Chancelor that needs to make the tax advantage to house builders and home owner)  buyers make sense. 

Edited by Offski

Instead of all these car washes popping g up in disused petrol stations I don't see why they dont replace the pumps with chargers, turn the shop into a nice little coffee shop and jobs a goodun. £10 to charge your car and a coffee or something. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris said:

Instead of all these car washes popping g up in disused petrol stations I don't see why they dont replace the pumps with chargers, turn the shop into a nice little coffee shop and jobs a goodun. £10 to charge your car and a coffee or something. 

Sounds like a good idea but scrap the replacement of pumps and just level it to have parking spaces for more vehicles. Just need a bigger uptake on EV's. 

On 09/07/2018 at 08:17, Offski said:

Why just a 'Proposal' from Chris Grayling MP, has he and Philip Hammond MP & Theresa May MP along with Michael Gove MP not had long enough to check it out, see that they will have the Electricity available and the National Grid and utilities from suppliers to the properties in place,

then make the announcement, 'all new homes and work places and car parks in England must have Electric Vehicle charging facilities' .

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44759150 

Con government would not do it due to its support base.  It has taken metropolitan leader particularly the London Mayor, to take this in hand with the £100m project my company has to roll out public charge points ie Source London.

It is not without it problems as can be seen by Paris just withdrawing support for the EV hire scheme in Paris last month.  We now have a few thousand EVS which can be distributed to other city projects ie Bordeaux, Turin, Indianapolis, LA. Unfortunately they are LHD else they could have come to the London roll out.  Enforcing improper use of public charge points is one big headache.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Offski said:

Re the Octavia finish compared to a Leaf,   until Skoda get around to building a mid sized EV we will never know what they will cost and what the finish will be like when the materials need to be light. 

I'm hoping for 2021/2022 for a return to Skoda

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chris said:

I take it you've not seen what they're doing in Dundee, former filling station turned into a charging hub, one of three in the city

https://utilityweek.co.uk/new-public-ev-charging-hub-opened-in-dundee/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, domhnall said:

I take it you've not seen what they're doing in Dundee, former filling station turned into a charging hub, one of three in the city

https://utilityweek.co.uk/new-public-ev-charging-hub-opened-in-dundee/

Due to work in Dundee later this month and even may fly in to Dundee airport.  Hope it will be a EV taxi that takes me to the client.  Ideal.  Client makes forecourt equipment spookily !

• Like 1

Whenever I've done quick calcs of running costs EV vs normal car (p/mile), based on what I pay for electricity, it'says turned out not a great deal better maybe 20%. Of course that is comparing a mini sized toy EV against my supersize Superb. I suppose if you have solar panels and don't travel too far a field it might be better. But I am certain that government will in time tax electricity in line with petrol and then it makes no sense at all.

If you take total cost of ownership over time, which is maybe a more realistic metric, I don't see pure EV makes much sense at all.

IMO plug in mild hybrid is the way to go.

33 minutes ago, xman said:

Whenever I've done quick calcs of running costs EV vs normal car (p/mile), based on what I pay for electricity, it'says turned out not a great deal better maybe 20%. Of course that is comparing a mini sized toy EV against my supersize Superb. I suppose if you have solar panels and don't travel too far a field it might be better. But I am certain that government will in time tax electricity in line with petrol and then it makes no sense at all.

If you take total cost of ownership over time, which is maybe a more realistic metric, I don't see pure EV makes much sense at all.

The cost per mile is changing rapidly with the cost of fuel rising so quickly.  Octy has a small tank ie 50 litres but putting £65 of fuel in it to do 600 miles is 11 pence per miles just for the fuel whereas EVs can be run at half that cost when charging at home if one uses Economy 7 electricity to charge at as low as 7 pence per kWh and a Kilowatt can take 3 miles or so therefore it is costing about 3 pence per mile for energy consumption. 

What is preventing me move is fuel is only about 50 pence a litre as it is a Benefit in Kind with my Job so EV is still not worth it from a personal economic standpoint though I do feel a moral imperative for the sake of my fellow man/woman/child and for the same of the planet so will move to get one of the new batch of 60-64 kWh EVs due in the next year or so which also will have thermal management which has been an issue with the Leaf 2 and Zoe QC.        

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/economy-7/ 

Image result for economy 7 tariff cost per kwh

6 hours ago, xman said:

I charge at public chargers so pay zip, zero, nada. 

A plug in hybrid means your petrol economy suffers due to lugging round the EV side and your electric performance suffers due to lugging round an engine and fuel. 

I used to spend £1000 on fuel and £140 on road tax. Unless I charge at home those costs are now zero. 

All I have to pay for is insurance, servicing and tyres. 

5 hours ago, lol-lol said:

The cost per mile is changing rapidly with the cost of fuel rising so quickly.  Octy has a small tank ie 50 litres but putting £65 of fuel in it to do 600 miles is 11 pence per miles just for the fuel whereas EVs can be run at half that cost when charging at home if one uses Economy 7 electricity to charge at as low as 7 pence per kWh and a Kilowatt can take 3 miles or so therefore it is costing about 3 pence per mile for energy consumption. 

What is preventing me move is fuel is only about 50 pence a litre as it is a Benefit in Kind with my Job so EV is still not worth it from a personal economic standpoint though I do feel a moral imperative for the sake of my fellow man/woman/child and for the same of the planet so will move to get one of the new batch of 60-64 kWh EVs due in the next year or so which also will have thermal management which has been an issue with the Leaf 2 and Zoe QC.        

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/economy-7/ 

Image result for economy 7 tariff cost per kwh

So far (only had it since Monday) I'm averaging 4.5 miles per kW. 

Week in week out my maximum commute is 40 miles each way. But even when I collected the car from down south it was easily within range. Unless you're regularly travelling from the south of England to the north of England or Scotland then EV will cope easily. And if you get a hyundai kona or jaguar ipace they'll cope with that too. 

21 minutes ago, domhnall said:

So far (only had it since Monday) I'm averaging 4.5 miles per kW. 

Week in week out my maximum commute is 40 miles each way. But even when I collected the car from down south it was easily within range. Unless you're regularly travelling from the south of England to the north of England or Scotland then EV will cope easily. And if you get a hyundai kona or jaguar ipace they'll cope with that too. 

so maybe 180 mile range?

Much better than the 110 that whatcar got by they drive it without due care and attention to range and in a Clarkson let's see how quickly can I use its battery.

i think the leaf2 and Zoe can do 200 miles with using ones brain.  New 60-64 kWh cars will do 300 miles I reckon.

Sustainable in Scotland for a long time into the future where renewable electricity is produced and not being used even paid for not to be produced, and where the Government intend reducing pollution as the UK Government signed up to but are failing to meet the commitment.

Millions even billions getting put into providing renewable electricity generation and yet it is not used in the National Grid because there is more expensive generated electricity to be used first, nuclear and gas generated.

As it is people get driving about 30-60 miles for £6 of petrol or diesel so it costs money to take a vehicle someplace, and to park or drive in some areas,

Free parking, charging and access to areas if only for a few years will be nice, and payment for electricity if you need to buy it might still save you greatly on daily Congestion Charge / Low Emission zone access.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41181129 

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-31449607 

Edited by Offski

1 hour ago, lol-lol said:

so maybe 180 mile range?

Much better than the 110 that whatcar got by they drive it without due care and attention to range and in a Clarkson let's see how quickly can I use its battery.

i think the leaf2 and Zoe can do 200 miles with using ones brain.  New 60-64 kWh cars will do 300 miles I reckon.

I drove 95 miles home. Started with 89% charge. Finished with 30% and estimated 54 miles left in the tank.  That was sitting on autopilot at 70 mph on the M6 and M74. Charged for 20 minutes and I was back to 90%  charge. 

Edited by domhnall

19 minutes ago, domhnall said:

I drove 95 miles home. Started with 89% charge. Finished with 30% and estimated 54 miles left in the tank.  That was sitting on autopilot at 70 mph on the M6 and M74. Charged for 20 minutes and I was back to 90%  charge. 

So that is a bit more the 160 miles but as you say doing a fair bit of 70 mph.  

Renault do a range figurer on their French website   https://www.renault.fr/vehicules/vehicules-electriques/zoe.html     Huge difference from travelling at 130 kph compared to the slower speeds, sometimes a choice  of taking the more direct A road rather than the longer but quicker Motorway  can make a massive difference.

We need a big rollout plan ie every larger petrol station and McDonalds to have a 14 kWh, 21 kWh,  43 kWh or better and then  EV drivers will know that there is a decent  charger relatively close by.