Buying a Mk2 Fabia vRS

Hi All,

I have been on the forum for a number of years in the Octavia/Superb forums having owned a Mk1 Octavia vRS and 3.6 Superb Estate! I am selling my 2010 plate Range Rover Sport and the Mrs has set her heart of a green Fabia vRS.

Not knowing a great deal about them I have read through Lucifers buying guide and now want to run a mile....

With the below being the main problems (Copy and pasted from Lucifers guide) when I go to view a vehicle how to I make sure I am not going to buy a lemon?

1. Misfiring, Oil Consumption, Engine Failure
2. PCV System
3. Turbo
4. Timing Chain
5. Radiator
6. Supercharger Magnetic Clutch

I know for starters full service history is a must but what about the gearbox how often does the dsg box need a fluid change? Any other good tips on what to look for/check? So far I have had a good search through Autotrader/Ebay and pretty much the cars are from traders where I would much prefer to buy an enthusiasts car from a forum.

If you want to sell yours and it is around £5000 - £6000 then give me a shout...

I have also put a post in the wanted forum.

Cheers,

Chunk

• Like 1

DQ200 DSG do not need Oil changes.   The Service Campaign on 2010-2013 cars did a change from Synthetic to Mineral on some.

The Supercharger Magnetic clutch is with the Water Pump, they might go at any miles. but 5-6 years seems common, so maybe a car you get will have had that replaced. 2 belts as well, anything from £450-600 or so.

A Full Main Dealer Service History is not a must.  They can be a liability, but you do want Service Records though, invoices etc if you can.

Do not be put off by a car with a replaced engine.

If checking if '34 F5' was done check the spare tyre well for a sticker, that can be a CAVE engine Car or a CTHE. 2013-2015 Service Campaign is '34H5'.

Outstanding DSG Service Campaigns or others might show here if you get the VIN,  http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

You might get an early 2013 car for £6,000.

Edited by Offski

Okay thanks Offski very helpful. In relation to the two belts is that a timing belt and auxiliary belt? What age/ miles do they need changing at?

I have found one on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-SKODA-FABIA-VRS-1-4TSI-180bhp-DSG-FSH/273372565628

Looking at the advert it has had the supercharger clutch/water pump replaced. Let me know what you think.

Sorry i can not see the ebay one.  On ebay i see a 2012, 56,000 miles for £5,990.

Out of the 13 green ones on Autotrader under £7,000 asking prices there are some i would look at.

Buying from a Dealer gives you some security if it was to be a bad one and with faults, you are not getting that unless maybe a Briskoda Member and trusted 'enthusiast seller'.

There are some bad ones around, see if you can get a 1.4 TSI Twincharger owner or ex owner to check any out with you.

PS

Change the belts with the Water pump / Magnetic clutch / Coolant.

The symptoms are just a tiny loss of coolant, then possible exhaust emissions warning light or EPC light and limp mode.

Edited by Offski

Okay thanks Offski from doing some more research I think I am definitely likely to go for 2012 onwards as the revised engine seems to have far less trouble in general.

i know the engine is chain driven do these have change mileage/year intervals or just if it sounds like it is going to break?!

in relation to the two belts that need changing is one the supercharger and the other the Ac/water pump? Do these have intervals to be changed at mileage/years?

Thanks 

Be aware that the CAVE engines to 2012 are not prone to Timing Chain issues, just the Oil Consumption ones.

Some 2012/13 DQ200's did not need the Service Campaign on the DSG,  Skoda says they have Mineral Oil in, 

they have been having the 'White Flashing Spanner' issue, where Techs / Dealerships were not aware what that is.

It has gubbed a few DSG's.   

The late 2012 early 2013 CTHE can still have Oil Consumption issues, and on from then.

The Timing chain issue is one for the newer engines oddly.  So they can cause a problem.

It is a minefield sadly and just the luck of the draw.    No interval for timing chain changes.

These are warnings so buyer can be aware.   They are a bargain for the performance and fun, but can be a nightmare even with a Warranty or Skoda Warranty.

Have fun road testing some.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced 

You can see here where CTHE engines were still failing just soon after Skoda / VW introduced them, then there needed to be software updates, 

still some needed Breather Mods, then the Oil Squirter updates. 

Vorsprung Durch Technik.    Well VW Group took their time and in the end never got there, engine productions discontinued.

Edited by Offski

Ive seen far more post about waterpump failing on CTHE 2013-14 than the CAVE. Maybe the CAVE's have long since been given up on and no one reporting on here anymore.

you want a CTHE 2013-14 with 1 owner really and no oil burning problem, Other than that should be fine.

• Like 1

1,800 or so 'Skoda' Fabia, CAVE engine cars in the UK, less every quarter though, and more than 25% have replaced engines.

1,000 or so CTHE engine cars and even they are reducing in numbers and less have replaced engines but it is over 10% of them.

Water pumps do seem to last about 5-6 years regardless of miles covered but obviously some from 2010-11-12 are still trucking on original engines, original water pumps and never been oil users or some might have and once remapped, getting the right plugs, and the right oil never use excessive amounts of oil.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Does it necessarily have to be green? Would a white one not tempt her? 

Comes with cruise control, climate control, rear sensors, arm rest ;)

7151ac9d-1f9c-42eb-a06f-00ad85b7d0bf.jpg

Unfortunately yes she definitely wants a green one but thanks for the offer.

Funnily enough one has just appeared in the for sale section which seems to fit the bill...

Good condition with some tasteful modifications 

Watch this space 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...