Octavia SEL 1.5 tsi ACT throttle problemsp

Car only 7 months old and been back third time for throttle prob. 1st time rev up to 1800 rpm without any assistance. Cured and 2nd time hesitation. Seem to cure that but 3rd time could move accelerator 1 to 1 1/2 inches and no response at all. Ended up no throttle then 1000 rpm lifted clutch and cut out in heavy traffic!! Been back to dealer again and no faults recorded and nothing found. Car back and throttle best its been - but for how long!  -  will keep you updated.

There’s been a few posts on here about it:

The pedal is now little more than a lever, some software detects how far you’ve pressed it and sends a signal off to the engine. Trouble seems to be that the software guys haven’t quite got the mapping right and have also been adding some tweaks (such as the first version where it upped the rpm to 1800 to help avoid stalling). Maybe one day they’ll get it right...but going back to the dealer to get software updates is going to get tiresome!

Mine’s at the stage where on starting to lift the clutch it ups the revs, my brain reckons the rev counter and engine sound mean I’m pressing the accelerator enough so I lift the clutch a little more, the software suddenly drops the extra revs and the car starts hopping. If you’re happy with yours now, maybe I need to go get mine updated,

Same car and engine and same problem. When I pull away from standstill, the engine dies and the car lurches. I thought I would be able to learn how to drive round it but no; I am getting really fed up with it now. I got the software upgrade to stop the high revs when parking and that was good but now the nose diving on pull away is really tiresome. Apart from that, the car is very good. It's a great motorway drive with plenty of power and a comfortable cabin and very good on economy. 

Seems like Corrieman might have had another SW update for the nosedive.

It seems strange that they can easily correct this for the 1.5L

It is not new functionality, its been around for 10 years & its available on all the other VAG engines without any problems.

I Wonder whether theres something inheirently mechanical which is the root cause (clutch, DMF??) & they are trying to use these SW functions to mask it as best they can rather than pay for a replacement part?

On 23/07/2018 at 10:07, Granttd73 said:

Hi, 

I will contact them as soon as I get back, away down south just now.

I will also be asking the dealer why they switched my dashcam off!

15 hours ago, DC79 said:

The pedal is now little more than a lever, some software detects how far you’ve pressed it and sends a signal off to the engine. Trouble seems to be that the software guys haven’t quite got the mapping right and have also been adding some tweaks (such as the first version where it upped the rpm to 1800 to help avoid stalling). Maybe one day they’ll get it right...but going back to the dealer to get software updates is going to get tiresome!

Mine’s at the stage where on starting to lift the clutch it ups the revs, my brain reckons the rev counter and engine sound mean I’m pressing the accelerator enough so I lift the clutch a little more, the software suddenly drops the extra revs and the car starts hopping. If you’re happy with yours now, maybe I need to go get mine updated,

Only done yesterday so too early to say how it goes

21 hours ago, DC79 said:

This happens on manual Karoq's with this engine too!:angry:

• 1 year later...

Changed Octavia for 4 month old Superb 1.5 Tsi and hesitation problem on this vehicle as well. Assured software update would be out April. Update now available ( 24 eu ) had this done last Friday. Difference in vehicle is unbelievable and at last VW group got problem fixed. Total confidence in vehicle now

• Like 1

I have just taken delivery of a new Octavia 1.5 TSE SE L Estate with a manual gearbox .

I have been able put a couple of hundred miles on it so far and have to report it drives beautifully with no signs whatsoever of hesitation, stuttering or the "kangaroo"

behaviour that have been reported by some owners.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

I have managed to put two and a half thousand miles on my 2019 1.5 TSI SE L Estate ( manual box ) and am able to confirm that there has been no problem with power delivery  and acceleration is smooth and immediate with no hesitation . Very fully laden and towing a very full and heavy trailer and keeping to mostly Autoroute fuel consumption  was 49 MPG . Only glitch was false warning from TPMS , this happened to me several times with my previous Yeti , so nothing new .

Regards

• Like 1

I have an Octavia 2018 manual with 1.5 Tsi ACT engine. I had the high-revs-when-moving-slowly problem fixed but this revealed the poor throttle response and nose-dive-on-pull-away problem. I had a software update applied about two weeks ago for the hesitation on pull away problem. This is a fairly recently released software update, I think it was first available in September, but it was never advertised. The improvement is substantial, I can now live more confidently with the car, after about 18 months of anxiety every time I pulled away in traffic. Skoda Customer Care told me to contact the original seller of the car for the update. The update takes less than an hour to complete and is well worth while, it makes the throttle response nearly normal.

3 hours ago, SoupDragon said:

I have an Octavia 2018 manual with 1.5 Tsi ACT engine. I had the high-revs-when-moving-slowly problem fixed but this revealed the poor throttle response and nose-dive-on-pull-away problem. I had a software update applied about two weeks ago for the hesitation on pull away problem. This is a fairly recently released software update, I think it was first available in September, but it was never advertised. The improvement is substantial, I can now live more confidently with the car, after about 18 months of anxiety every time I pulled away in traffic. Skoda Customer Care told me to contact the original seller of the car for the update. The update takes less than an hour to complete and is well worth while, it makes the throttle response nearly normal.

How is your car doing for fuel economy after the software update? Mine was definitely worse than before, down by 10% on some journeys compared to what I was averaging before, also seems much more prone to stalling sometimes, even when car is moving. Car was back at garage after that, maybe slight improvement but not running as well as it did before the update; if you ignore how it was pulling away in first gear, it is better at that end of the scale but worse at the other end.

I have not had any problems after the update. It was done Friday 25th Oct and since then I have driven to Aberdeen and back, about 500 miles and it averaged about 51 mpg. This is the same as what it was before the update. Much of that journey was in torrential rain. I have not got the stalling problem either. I am pleased with the result.