Suspension knock

Sako123

Hi guys.i have a front end suspension knock...initally thought it was the struts wer us.so replaced them.it has also had new drop links.but still has the knock when I drive over the slightest of hole or uneven  road...?? In unty rool bar bushes and consul bushes look ok...any ideas  would be greatfully received  thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bought my car in August and after one week of having it, it was back at carbase to be checked over.  The vehicle was presenting a "slight" knocking of which i put down to suspension issues.  The vehicle in question is a 2014 Octavia 1.6 DSG.  Anyway, after taking it in, they said they could not see anything saying "It all looks solid and in place".  I initially accepted this and proceeded to travel from my home in England to Germany - you know, having upgraded from  Nissan 1.8 Almera Tino fuel guzzler to this beauty.. thought id test it out - car handled beautifully - no knocking noise at all.  Perhaps the roads in Germany are better? i digress again.  4 weeks later and im back in the UK making another appointment.  The mechanic checks it over, goes for a drive and says "yup, i can definitely hear something" - they replace the links and noise is still there.  Tomorrow they are going to order in a new anti roll bar "kit" - if that does not resolve it then the mechanic has said that he will be forced to put his hands up and say he doesn't know .... if it persists then i should bring it in again - did mention to him about giving SKODA uk a call - wonder if they'd know?  Will keep you posted!  I suspect it is the Anti Roll bar bushes ( fingers crossed )  - here is the video that sort of makes me think it....  Anti Roll Bar (Sway Bar in the US/Canada)

Hi Kevlar..thanks for your input...just tell what I have changed on mine..top mounts,springs and struts.still knocking.drop links.still knocking.both ball joints still knocking..consol bushes and there is an improvement after that but still a thud when I go over a hole.just like as if the dampers not damping on rebound..?????

22 hours ago, Sako123 said:

Hi Kevlar..thanks for your input...just tell what I have changed on mine..top mounts,springs and struts.still knocking.drop links.still knocking.both ball joints still knocking..consol bushes and there is an improvement after that but still a thud when I go over a hole.just like as if the dampers not damping on rebound..?????

Hi Sako123 - it really amazes me that so much has to be done as a process of elimination - just out of interest, how much has that all cost you ?  Luckily im still under a "duty of care" by carbase so am covered for the drop links and bushing (anti roll bar) - other than that i dont know what ill have to do to get the problem  resolved ... perhaps ill go crazy first? haha.  On a serious note though, maybe an independent garage would help.

So, Carbase have been very good and accommodating in trying to resolve my knocking issue.  They have informed me that after changing the links and anti roll bar & bushings, the sounds persists.  They have advised me to take it to Blade Skoda (my local dealer) for a  "fault" diagnosis.  I am not too sure what else they can do - I hope Skoda will have a better idea - I am out of options if they can't find the problem.  Do I have particular "return" rights if I only bought the car in August this year (2018).... I reported the knocking one week into owning the vehicle and did have it checked over (so they do have that on record).  Also, all the work done has fortunately not cost me anything! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sako123 said:

My cost for parts is over 200 pounds so far..no loubor as in have done it myself...hope you get yours sorted..

Around £160 for mine so far - still have the knocking.  Will look at the top struts tomorrow...

• 2 weeks later...

Car had it's diagnostic done at Skoda - it was found to have the incorrect break pads fitted.  There was a space?!? Anyway,  new pads fitted and knocking sound gone!!! Woohooo

Edited by K3vlar