Aftermarket brake pads or brake set

I've just had MTEC drilled discs and Brembo pads up front with rears to be done very shortly.  This is the same combo I used on my Oct 2 scout, A4 Quattro and wifes Cooper s

Recommended and reasonably priced.

Ate ceramic pads are not to be confused with performance pads. They are standard performance ECE R90 pads with the added benefits of low dust, long life and low noise. Great if you hate cleaning alloys all the time.

Not recommended if you are not changing the discs (rotors) at the same time as the ceramic pads will not bed in quickly and lay down the carbide layer very well and much of the benefit will be lost.

In my experience most but the very cheapest makes are as good or better than OE skoda.

Edited by xman

2 minutes ago, xman said:

Ate ceramic pads are not to be confused with performance pads. They are standard performance ECE R90 pads with the added benefits of low dust, long life and low noise. Great if you hate cleaning alloys all the time.

That makes sense! 

What are the other common performance pads with factory calipers besides ebc yellowstuff?

Pagid discs and pads are my go to choice. Good value and high quality exceeding the OEM fitment by a quite a margin. 

Watch out for the wear sensors as they  become brittle and crack when removing them. Best to disconnect the wire and remove the pad and sensor together, give the a good spray with WD40 then gently ease them out with a small screwdriver. Buy the sensor when you get the discs and pads. If you don’t damage the sensor removing it, you can always return the new one anyway but don’t need to run out to get one mid job if you do damage it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

??? The wear sensor is built into one pad in the set (a wire embedded in the pad material) and is usually mounted on the nearside inner position. Not all cars use them so check your car physically has one. 

If you buy pads with sensor, and the car doesn't have the connector to plug it into then just simply snip the wire off.

101442106.jpg

Edited by xman

I am stuck with a set of MTEC discs which ruined a set of EBC pads after 2 weeks (now running brembo pads but the noise is still terrible) the braking is excellent but the noise is unbearable and ill be changing as soon as i can afford something better as MTEC didnt want to know.

Edited by JohnnyType2

6 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

I am stuck with a set of MTEC discs which ruined a set of EBC pads after 2 weeks (now running brembo pads but the noise is still terrible) the braking is excellent but the noise is unbearable and ill be changing as soon as i can afford something better as MTEC didnt want to know.

Did the EBC pads delaminate or have big chunks brake off? That’s the reason I stopped using EBC pads. At first I thought it was down to using grooved discs but had the same happen on standard discs. Same with a motorbike too when the rear wheel locked up only to find half the pad material broken off and wedged between the remaining pad material and disc. 

Grooved discs are noisier than standard and unless you track day your car I don’t see much point in them on the road other than looks. MTEC don’t manufacture their own discs but buy cheap discs in to machine and coat.

If you want grooved or drilled then spend more and get something like the Otto Zimmerman discs. They don’t make their own discs either but they’re German made, probably ATE, not cheap Chinese ones. They are high carbon discs manufactured to very high standards. 

Brembo do grooved and drilled discs for most cars too as do EBC. Again I would fit quality plain discs unless you are doing track days. 

Check this thread out

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/422855-brake-disc-question/

I changed my front brake disc's & pads to the original Skoda (OEM) as to be honest, I couldn't be bothered with any aftermarket problems, I find the OEM setup actually decent, Ok granted it's not fantastic compared to what you can get but that involves spending a few more £ or $ etc.

Try Mike @ Briskoda parts section within the forum, he might be able to sort you out a good deal or your local TPS?

• Like 1

The OEM discs and pads are made by TRW, so not exactly an unknown brand in the braking world.  The front pads are only £65 a set in TPS for the 340mm set up, now that the parts have been included in the trade club too.

My only complaint with the OEM set up is that there is too much bias on the front discs/pads, which ends up with the rears getting little use and corroding quite badly - the Seat FR doesn’t suffer with the rear disc corrosion issues with a more balanced set up.

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 06:34, lab4games said:

I am currently using 288mm rotors.

Possible to change to the 340mm from the VRS if I have 18inch wheels? Does it require change in clippers too?

All new calipers, brackets, discs, pads.....also the servo/master cylinder is bigger on the 340mm set up as the pistons are 60mm I think....

The 288mm & 312mm use the same caliper blank….& are either drilled to 55mm or 57mm pistons...& are stamped on the caliper it self...….if you have 57mm pistons then all you do is get the 312mm bracket & discs...easy job..I did it...

Also re brake pads...grease the pad "ears" & DO NOT use Mintex ceratec grease....I did & it failed & the pads stuck on...resulting in more wear & brake judder & ruined discs.....& that was a set of ATE grooved power discs & ATE standard pads...also ATE pad shims cause problems also as NOT metal......

Now waiting for Brembo Max discs & standard pads......if you want race/track the best is Ferodo DS2500 pads on a plain high quality discs.....but I need grooves to stone/grit clean....Had too many stuck bits of grit ruin/score discs in the past...

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

also the servo/master cylinder is bigger on the 340mm set up as the pistons are 60mm I think....

Not in my experience. They all have the 23.81mm master cyl. It is only when you get to cars that have 4-pot calipers as standard (like the TTRS/RS3) do you get the 25.4mm master cyl. 

39 minutes ago, flybynite said:

Not in my experience. They all have the 23.81mm master cyl. It is only when you get to cars that have 4-pot calipers as standard (like the TTRS/RS3) do you get the 25.4mm master cyl. 

Not on the MQB MK7 Golf....the 340mm discs get different part numbers for the master cylinders....& there is slight size difference as the piston is 60mm which is up from 55mm & 57mm used on the 288/312mm discs........& the same is with all MQB platform cars..the bigger the piston the bigger the master cylinder...

7 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

Not on the MQB MK7 Golf....the 340mm discs get different part numbers for the master cylinders....& there is slight size difference as the piston is 60mm which is up from 55mm & 57mm used on the 288/312mm discs........& the same is with all MQB platform cars..the bigger the piston the bigger the master cylinder...

OK then, educate us

What are the master cyl sizes and what are the part numbers? Every part number I see listed under ETKA is 23.81mm. 

24 minutes ago, flybynite said:

OK then, educate us

What are the master cyl sizes and what are the part numbers? Every part number I see listed under ETKA is 23.81mm. 

For PR codes 1ZA,1ZD,1ZE,1ZF,1ZP....(288 & 313mm discs)

part number 8V2 611 021 made by ATE..or (B) made by TRW

For PR codes 1LJ,1LV,1ZB,1LM....340mm discs except 1LV/1ZB which is 312mm disc GTI

part number 8V2 622 021A

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2015-746/6/611-611010/

the other reason there is a difference is that the rear discs are bigger on GTI (thus pistons) & above so that's why the 1LV 312mm GTI code is grouped with the 340mm discs....

MQB MK7 Golf PR codes for brakes:-

PR code

1ZF 276mm SILVER ZINC basic spec cars.

1ZE/1ZP 288mm SILVER ZINC

1ZA/ 1ZD 312mm GREY, GTD & DCC equipped cars which would otherwise have 288mm

1ZB/1LV 312mm RED, GTI

1ZC/1ZG 312mm BLUE, GTE

1LJ 340mm RED, GTI PP, CLUBSPORT, CLUBSPORT S

1LM BLACK, 340mm R

Edited by fabdavrav

17 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

part number 8V2 622 021A

Part number 8V2 622 021A doesn't exist and everything referred to in the link above is 23.81mm. They may have different part numbers, there is a reason for that, but they are the same size.

I know the disk sizes only too well but what are the respective actual master cyl sizes?

On 15/09/2018 at 08:59, CWARD said:

Did the EBC pads delaminate or have big chunks brake off? That’s the reason I stopped using EBC pads. At first I thought it was down to using grooved discs but had the same happen on standard discs. Same with a motorbike too when the rear wheel locked up only to find half the pad material broken off and wedged between the remaining pad material and disc. 

Grooved discs are noisier than standard and unless you track day your car I don’t see much point in them on the road other than looks. MTEC don’t manufacture their own discs but buy cheap discs in to machine and coat.

If you want grooved or drilled then spend more and get something like the Otto Zimmerman discs. They don’t make their own discs either but they’re German made, probably ATE, not cheap Chinese ones. They are high carbon discs manufactured to very high standards. 

Brembo do grooved and drilled discs for most cars too as do EBC. Again I would fit quality plain discs unless you are doing track days. 

they had deep gouges and the discs were badly scored probably a result of grit or stones getting into a groove? AFIAK their disc blanks are mintex so not that budget. i wouldnt buy grooved again ill go with a set of dimpled and probably take you up on the recommendation.

Hi fabdavrav, what is the part number for 312mm bracket?

On 16/09/2018 at 17:41, fabdavrav said:

All new calipers, brackets, discs, pads.....also the servo/master cylinder is bigger on the 340mm set up as the pistons are 60mm I think....

The 288mm & 312mm use the same caliper blank….& are either drilled to 55mm or 57mm pistons...& are stamped on the caliper it self...….if you have 57mm pistons then all you do is get the 312mm bracket & discs...easy job..I did it...

Also re brake pads...grease the pad "ears" & DO NOT use Mintex ceratec grease....I did & it failed & the pads stuck on...resulting in more wear & brake judder & ruined discs.....& that was a set of ATE grooved power discs & ATE standard pads...also ATE pad shims cause problems also as NOT metal......

Now waiting for Brembo Max discs & standard pads......if you want race/track the best is Ferodo DS2500 pads on a plain high quality discs.....but I need grooves to stone/grit clean....Had too many stuck bits of grit ruin/score discs in the past...

On 17/09/2018 at 15:15, flybynite said:

Hi flybynite, is it worth upgrading from 288mm brakes to the 340mm brakes? 

1.6tdi on stage 1. 

340mm brakes are ok but they are HEAVY especially with the older ATE calipers. they can make the front crashy. Newer TRW calipers are bit lighter. There is enough extra weight  that it can noticeably affect performance unless you have lots of it. They go well with 310mm vented rears but I would not put those on a torsion beam car. The 340mm brakes, like any large single-pot can be a bit grabby when cold, not exactly that progressive.

The 312mm brakes are fine for most road use and a useful step up from the 288mm. 272mm on the rear. If you do not need it to look standard there are other options with 312mm disks. Just google "NQSBBK"

Before you upgrade anything you need to ask yourself what problems are you having with the brakes you have. Feel? Fade? etc then cure that

• Thanks 1