engine rebuild?

sheikh12

I have a 2010 Vrs at 55k, it uses excess oil and misfires. I was driving along the motorway, pulled into the outside lane gave it a bit of gas the car inedibility starting juddering then into limp mode. I pulled over turned the car off for a few minutes and it went. I have been driving it now as any quick acceleration results in this juddering. it also judders/shakes on idle, took it up to my garage and he said something about the 3rd  piston/cylinder losing compression. He can't start the repair for 3 weeks he his pricing up the job just now. does anyone know what i'll be looking at or has anyone had it done?

Looking at only an expert that knows these engines doing a rebuild on a 8 year old engine so that means replacing everything.   Head as well,  then doing the upgrades,   so if they have done before they know the exact cost.   If you have not been told go where someone that had done it does know.   Better buy a base engine.  Imo.  Who have you got the car in with?

Edited by Offski

So they say about compression of the cylinder that causes the failures,  has the compression test been done,  a borescope used to have a look.   Have they dealt with twinchargers before?   Has your car had the breather and software update,  the oil spray jet upgrade,  and has it even got the original engine still in?    give the first and last letter of the Reg number and the colour just incase I ever owned the car,  or worked on it.

Edited by Offski
  • Thanks 1

It's in with the mechanic my brothers use he is a certified Mercedes so I doubt he has done much work on them before. I could even tell you I very much doubt so. I bought the car 3 years ago when I was 18 and Skoda were basically refusing to look at the oil problem then warranty had run out. would it be worth getting an extended warranty from skoda? i have a private reg now so i dont think it would matter im sure it was an early 2010 YF10 LTA green. it had alot of previous owners in comparison to miles @

• Like 1

He might not be interested in forums and such but for the Merc mechanic maybe have a look at at the pinned post with Lucifers Ultimate Guide to 1.4 TSI Twinchargers and print that out for him. Part 1.

When have you changed spark plugs in the last 3 years and what was fitted and when last fitted?

Has the car had the Water Pump replaced yet?

Do you use 5w30 FS LL oil or have you gone to 5w 40 FS which is the 'Simply Clever' thing to do.

& Run it with Tesco Momentum 99 or Shell V-Power Nitro +

Its going to cost you at least £1,500 to rebuild that engine, and best not too IMO if you can get away without doing.

Edited by Offski

HI sorry for the late reply, I will do that thanks. about 1k ago. I generally do them every 5k the past year and a half. I've changed them about 5 times now.  otherwise you can really feel it. The first year. plug 3 I think is always saturated with oil. The water pump hasn't been done. yes I use 5w40 have done sone I bought the car. However its just shell vpower i use i dont think there is nitro+. I will start travelling to Tesco 

• Like 1

Shell V-Power is Shell V-Power Nitro + in the UK.

See how it goes with the Tesco Momentum 99 though.

Have you used Denso Plugs?   I would try them,

but there are some that have managed to burn out a DENSO, be sure they are not Fakes you get.

?

What has the Merc Mechanic said?

Bottom the OEM NGK's at 25,000 miles. Top DENSO ifrom same engine @ 30,000 miles.

post-86161-0-38944400-1476714122.jpg

DSCN1968.JPG.0b4249edd8c3842c6e2db5ef51c5ab8d.JPG

Edited by Offski

Re-check all plugs and coils first before stripping the head however oil in the cylinder is never good.

Did your mechanic tell you the what bar cylinder 3 was running? Unfortunately if the garage have to strip down the head and change the valves and pistons I'm sure it works out not shy of £1k, Cost a member of another page I'm on £987.43 3 weeks ago at an independent garage, Another option if your keeping the car is an upgrade to wossner pistons that'll set you back around £800 rather than OEM pistons.

Edited by Mickmartin

he never said he's not had a chance to have a proper look. It's a certified Mercedes independent garage it's in with. can you remember the username maybe I could give him a message? those a are the plugs i use. The mechanic thinks once we strip it all down and sort the issue it will run good, i'e reduce oil & fuel consumption, stop misfires. The only reason I was going to sell it was due to the issues never going to be properly fixed

It will depend on the head / valves not just the Pistons / rings / scrappers and the cylinder bore how good it is.

?

What is the Fuel Consumption issue you have?

Do you just do short runs mostly with the oil seldom getting to 92*oC plus before stopping again.

So like over 10 miles then giving it some laldy?

?

Do you have a nice clean air filter in or is there some modded air intake?

?

When were the spark plugs last changed, and what are the plugs and at what gap?

Edited by Offski

Hi fella, Richard here, team green member from Lesmahagow. Sorry to hear you're having problems with your wee car.

Offski, this is the young lad bought the green vRS from our old friend Gordon the Moron at Parks Skoda in Hamilton, they sold it with Skoda warranty on it as an approved used franchise, but when I first met the young fella down in Hamilton and was chatting about his wee car, he told me straight out that the car had been using oil since he first got it, and surprise surprise when approaching Parks our old friend not only gave him the patter about the oil use being normal but pretty much flat out refused to refer to warranty to sort it out.

The lad looks after his wee car, I first met him shortly after having our engine replaced so at the time I was making sure to pass on the tips about oils to use, spark plug intervals and so on. Over the years I've met him back and forward and he looks after his wee motor well.

Unfortunately for the lad, lack of compression in cylinder 3 is directly related to the oil consumption issue, and you are now faced with an engine rebuild or finding a replacement engine, which isnt as easy as it should be. Some of the lads on the mk2 vrs owners facebook page have had this done recently and generally it's in excess of 2 grand. The advantages of having the engine forged when rebuilding are that if you go down the modding route there is less chance of engine problems like you have now. I'm sure The Grinch and Josh on here, as well as Gareth (message me if you want his contact details) have all had theirs rebuilt.

Sorry it's came to this for you. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AMD87 said:

I know the car and the owner too it is well looked after. I’d be emailing skoda customer service and getting them involved. 

How long has he owned the car? Unless its under warranty he'll no doubt be led round in circles then told they hold no responsibility.

Abandon the car at the main entrance of parks showroom blocking a way in, They'll soon start negotiating.

Park's Skoda Hamilton know exactly what their employee in Hamilton was telling Customers about 'Acceptable Oil Use' 1 litre in 1,000 km,

and Spark Plug Life being 65,000 miles or 75,000 miles and VW502 00 5w 40 FS oil being Semi Synthetic and the wrong oil.

They should do because he told enough people the this stuff before he moved to another of their dealerships.

Skoda UK Customer Services should know as well as they had to speak with Parks of Hamilton about this.

Or a Communications manager had to.  Maybe John Good is no longer with Skoda / VW UK or the other Managers that were working when Alasdair Stewart was Skoda Brand Director and had to get them case handling.

Maybe Skoda UK have short memories and lose records of things, i do not though, and then the names and threads of the Call Handlers & Communications managers at the time are in threads on here.

Threads pinned up top, and easy enough to find with a search.

Get Skoda UK back on the case.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

Dan Wilson, Tom Chadwick, John Good.

Are these people that were in Skoda MK or where ever all gone now?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/316200-metalic-buzzing-noise-vrs

Edited by Offski