Has my car got a GPF ?

I don't keep up with new car regs much now I've retired, so I was surprised to see in another thread, the mention of GPFs. I'd no idea that these are going to be/are fitted to petrol cars.

So what does this mean to me ? Has my new Kodiaq 2.0Tsi got one fitted (it was built in March this year I think) and does it need to be treated like a DPF  e.g short runs are bad for it and will the engine need a good blast from time to time ?

Will it regenerate like a DPF ? Is it going to be costly to replace like a DPF ?

One of the reasons I returned to a petrol engine was because of DPFs etc on diesels !!

Edited by olderman1
No title

Your 2.0 TSI has 180PS and no GPF.

The MY19 2.0 TSI is uprated to 190PS but is burdened with a GPF.

The same goes for the outgoing 1.4 TSI 150PS, the new 1.5 TSI 150PS fitted in the Kodiaq gains a GPF.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Your 2.0 TSI has 180PS and no GPF.

The MY19 2.0 TSI is uprated to 190PS but is burdened with a GPF.

The same goes for the outgoing 1.4 TSI 150PS, the new 1.5 TSI 150PS fitted in the Kodiaq gains a GPF.

Will the MY19 models with the GPF need more care like the DPFs typically do? One reason I chose petrol was to avoid issues with shorter trips.

No special care required with a MY19 1.0, 1.5 or 2.0 l TSI with a Gasoline Particulate Filter, just as no Special Care required with 1.6 or 2.0 TSI DPF SCR's.

If there was to be then VW Group have built Not Fit For Purpose (NFFP)  vehicles and they would have to be sold with a warning, 

'These vehicles might not be suitable as a daily driver for individuals, families, businesses'.

Now that would not be Simply Clever.   

And why would WLTP / RDE Approval and results be given for vehicles that can not just be driven as people need to drive?

I looked up some discussions on GPF vs DPF and from what I can tell, the GPFs won't have the same issues as DPF since a petrol exhaust runs at a higher temperature and you will be able to burn it off with regular driving. If they become an issue or not for other reasons remains to be seen I guess.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1613566

^^^ 2 Years on from Auto Express running an Article, they & Autocar, What Car, Pistonheads, VW Driver, EVO, Topgear and others should be running 'Long Term' VW Petrol models with GPF's and reporting on them.

That would be a service to readers as all those Magazine / Journals do VW Group Reviews / Road Tests and also take their Advertising Money and surely VW Group Media cars are available for these Motoring Journalists and others to do exactly the kind of use that the customer / buyers will.

As mentioned above, all being well GPF's will be far more reliable than DPF's.

One of the main issues with DPF's and their need or preference for longer drives were the difficulties diesel engines sometime have reaching and maintaining enough heat to burn off the soot collected inside the DPF. To be fair the latest DPF's are light years ahead of the older technology, most of them now have catalysts that help to generate more heat.

As petrol engines get hotter much quicker compared to modern thermally efficient diesels, then the GPF should have far less work to do and therefore be less troublesome.

It is still a relatively new technology though, so as always we'll be VAG's guinea pigs!

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

OK, Can someone tell me if my Kodiaq 1.4TSI 2WD 123HP engine first registered April 2018 has a GPF?  Sorry if the answer is obvious, but this old codger isn't up to all the technical stuff with modern cars.  When SU carburretors with dash pots went out of use my brain got left behind!

DPFs get a bit of a bad press to be fair. Early implementations seem to be a  bit poor, but had a 2012 Superb. Over its life I initially di longer runs, then yr 1-2 real short ones. Later years had a real mix. Never a moments trouble for the 70k I owned it. Our 16 plate Furby is also mixed usage and no problems with the DPF. Can't say the same for the water pump(s) unfortunately!

• 1 year later...
On 14/10/2018 at 19:58, lowedb said:

DPFs get a bit of a bad press to be fair. Early implementations seem to be a  bit poor, but had a 2012 Superb. Over its life I initially di longer runs, then yr 1-2 real short ones. Later years had a real mix. Never a moments trouble for the 70k I owned it. Our 16 plate Furby is also mixed usage and no problems with the DPF. Can't say the same for the water pump(s) unfortunately!

A 2012 car would have been built to euro5 emissions, so the DPF was rather a half hearted affair compared to those fitted to the latest WLTP cars.   The latest ones are virtually pyrolytic furnaces that try and burn off ash and need lots of fuel when they run

The GPFs in new cars are a passive device, bit like the catalytic converter in the exhaust.  Sufficient heat to run it except first few seconds of starting the car 

My 2014 1.6 diesel Superb often found itself smelling hot and running the fan when I stopped - apparently because it was trying to clear the DPF and my journey hadn't been long enough. I used to avoid making short journeys that I actually wanted to make (it’s half a mile, but up 350 feet to the post office ...).  I loved the car, but changed to petrol, after 42 months and 16,000 miles.  Now, of course, I know that diesel was inappropriate ... but I didn’t when I bought it!

The petrol Kodiaq (1.4) doesn’t seem to mind.

19 hours ago, chrisluciofg said:

which engine do you prefer ?

The 180 bhp tsi is a fantastic unit. My Kodiaq behaves like a Golf Gti in Sport mode. She's no slouch in Normal mode mind you. Fuel economy isn't great, but I've just done a trip from Bristol Temple Meads to M4 J32 and had 38mpg averaging 65mph. I'm happy with that. In the 150 bhp tdi I'd have had circa 50mpg I'm sure. But not as relaxed and comfortable as the tsi equipped Kodiaq. 

Interesting information in the owners manual relating to GPF's.

It would seem that they too (even if it's less likely) can clog up much in the same way as a DPF.

The manual now outlines the cleaning process for both diesel and petrol engines...

image.png.4d824c631f897b59b81a07f9fc75dc2a.png

Edited by silver1011
  • Thanks 1

I don’t remember seeing any of this in the manual when I got my 190 Tsi at the beginning of the year. It seems to suggest the “Italian tune up” method to clean your GPF  I have noticed a fan running on behaviour after a spirited drive.

On 23/10/2019 at 18:16, Yotbuds said:

Hi, I'm due to pick up a 2019 Fabia Estate 1.0 MPI SE tomorrow and have just found out that VAG have started fitting GPF's to petrol engine cars. I'm not sure if this applies to my model which is normally

I think you'll avoid an OPF (aka GPF) on the 1.0MPI as it has port injection and not direct injection (particulate emission much much higher with direct injection)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1