Chrome strips becoming milky.

skodakm27

My Superb I owned previously started to look a right mess with milky spots all over the chrome strips and Skoda badges etc. I have had my Karoq Edition about 8 months from new now and the same thing is happening as well.Does anyone know whether these chrome effect items have the chrome colour under the plastic or is the chrome colour on the outside of the strip.I ask this because if it is on the underside I will not be fobbed off  with the excuse that it is the fault of the cleaning products used to clean the car and not the poor manufacturing process.

Thanks in advance if anyone can advise me.

Regards Keith 

I always thought they were coated. If they were actually chrome or even chrome effect I believe you could just clean/polish them up.

This has been an issue on VAG cars since the beginning of time, much like the centre caps on the wheels that are also ****e

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 1

Thanks for comment.

The point is that with my superb skoda told me it was the cleaning products being to acidic which had caused the problem,so the reason I am trying to find out if the chrome colour is on the underside  then if that is the case cleaning products could not possibly causing what is happening. 

Regards Keith 

Maybe the issue is that cleaning products are attacking the coating rather than the chrome.

What do you wash your car with? Or do you use these hand car wash places that cover your car in the most aggressive of cleaners money can buy?

With the wheel hub caps,  milkiness is from water ingress under the plastic top film from where it is cut which mixes with the adhesive.

Its caused by a sh++ design and poor manufacturing quality.

Almost impossible to stop, possibly smearing a little grease along the edges where the plastic coat finishes to stop water getting under, whether that would help, I'm not sure.

Probably the same with all the "chrome"

Edited by xman

Thanks for that Xman.

I always have my Koraq cleaned by a professional valeter who knows better than to use the wrong products.And now the reason it happens is different to what I thought it may be,at least I know it is down to poor design and as such it is a problem for Skoda to resolve at their expense.

Thanks for that. 

Regards Keith 

Under warranty Ive never had a problem them changing milky hub caps or bonnet/boot logos under warranty, so should be the same with all chrome affected the same way.

But accept the the replacements will go the same way and there's no extended warranty on replacements.

Some dealers will quote trim as wear and tear, quote manufacturing defect back at them

Edited by xman