Low coolant level warning

Gabi4

Having read these comments, I have bought some G13 off EBay for just under £10 delivered. I notice on the instructions that I should use distilled water. Went ever I have topped up the rad on previous cars (non VAG group) I have always used tap water. How important is it use distilled water?

• 2 weeks later...

Before topping up, I'd suction out some more coolant in order to check if the sensor works at all.

In fact, on my old Octavia, MIN level doesn't trigger the sensor yet.

Edited by agedbriar

On 04/03/2019 at 10:53, Petroldsg said:

Having read these comments, I have bought some G13 off EBay for just under £10 delivered. I notice on the instructions that I should use distilled water. Went ever I have topped up the rad on previous cars (non VAG group) I have always used tap water. How important is it use distilled water?

Did you buy genuine G13? If so then there are two types, one where you need to add water (concentrate)...

image.png.d5619dbbd5f91f0505dbb274f7915637.png

image.png.b75f0e9f4c68cd311724fde4b032c307.png

The other which is pre-mixed (ready mixed) which you can pour straight into the header tank from the bottle...

image.png.efece96718f6fee1c1d001c971bb394c.png

If you're just topping up the header bottle from anywhere between minimum and maximum, then using undiluted concentrate will be fine.

Edited by silver1011

1 hour ago, agedbriar said:

Before topping up, I'd suction out some more coolant in order to check if the sensor works at all.

In fact, on my old Octavia, MIN level doesn't trigger the sensor yet.

could do that yes but i would expect an error on the dashboard or my OBD11 app would have picked it up

20 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Did you buy genuine G13? If so then there are two types, one where you need to add water (concentrate)...

image.png.d5619dbbd5f91f0505dbb274f7915637.png

image.png.b75f0e9f4c68cd311724fde4b032c307.png

The other which is pre-mixed (ready mixed) which you can pour straight into the header tank from the bottle...

image.png.efece96718f6fee1c1d001c971bb394c.png

If you're just topping up the header bottle from anywhere between minimum and maximum, then using undiluted concentrate will be fine.

got one today mixed version, cheapest so far: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-ready-mixed-G13-Coolant-1-5-Litres/152234335270?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=451424724313&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l264

• 2 months later...

My 2015 2.0TDI 150 PS DSG had the light for low coolant come on so I booked it in with the main dealer. It is second hand and two months out of the guarantee .

Later that day they rang me to say the problem was that the heater matrix was blocked and the bill would be over £1300 pounds, but as a goodwill gesture they would deduct 45%

Bringing it down to £706.97.

My job before retirement being a company engineer responsible for field liability claims resolution, on pressuries boilers among other thinga, and  I pointed out the following

The heater matrix could only be blocked by either sand left over from the casting process, or corrosion products had excess flux been present in manufacture of a component such as the heater matrix and overcome the Inhibitor in the coolant causing corrosion and consequent particulate silt that blocked the Matrix

The coolant itself would not be replaced periodically at service intervals, but only when the Cam belt is changed either at five years or 140,000 miles, neither  of which has been reached

The inescapable conclusion therefore is that there was a latent manufacturing defect as the car left the Factory, and notwithstanding the Guarantee period has expired the liabilty under the law is with the manufacturer

I have been in contact with Skoda twice to register a complain, they responded today (the second time) not accepting liability but offering a goodwill free of charge major service.

I  responded "I can afford to pay for my car being serviced, thank you very much , but attempting to fob me off when under the law you have a clear liability to pay in full for this repair."

I also reminded them that this dealer has replaced SIX other heater matrixes that failed for the same reason, and that I found Fifteen other cases in the VW passat Forums.

I pointed out that this is very bad policy for a major company to refuse to accept not merely it's liabilty in a single instance, which is after all a mere pittance to them, but to try to pretend this is a one off problem

It makes you wonder, if this dealer has had six failures of this type, how many are there across the hundreds of dealerships across the UK, and how many people simply top up their coolant unaware of the sort of future bill they face?

Has anyone else been treated in so cavalier a fashion over a failure of this type due to a manufacturing defect?

I am simply not going to leave it at that, you can be sure!

Edited by oldgroaner
  • Like 4

Whilst not relevant to the Karoq, can I please take the opportunity to congratulate you on your determination on not being rolled over by Skoda UK.

It fills me with joy when I read a story where someone is able to see through Skoda UK's fobbing off and is able, willing and determined enough to see it through to an acceptable solution.

The vast majority of us would not be able to argue against the dealers diagnosis. Your explanation on how the defective heater matrix can't be anything other than a manufacturing defect is brilliant.

Dig in and good luck!

• Like 3

I haven't even got started yet! I have been preparing further thoughts to add to my complaint as follows

Since it it as the video shows a simple job to remove and replace the heater matrix, the main cost of the repair has to be in the amount of cleaniing of the system by repeatedly flushing it, in my case I was told it would require seven times. Hence the cost in hours labour.

The question should be asked, it is all very well to have a complex and time consuming cleaning regime to deal with the problem, in fact the existence of such a scheme indicates clearly a problem  that is within the expectation of the designer to make such a provision necessary.

No one develos such a rigmarole if they have no expectation of needing it!

Let us consider that, and ask for you to guarantee not only that all the debri, sand, scale, and corrosive products have been removed from the cooling system, what steps have been taken to recondition  the area where these products were created despite the exotic coolant specified to prevent their formation?

Clearly the coolant has failed to do the job it was specified for.

I am left with no logical reason not to expect a repeat failure of the matrix in the future as there is/are untreated corroded areas in the cooling system more advanced than the initial new condition of the whole system.

Are you prepared to guarantee the work carried out on your behalf and the materials used will ensure there is no repeat of this failure?

Failing that I am therefore asking you to   recall my car for replacement of all contaminated and corroded engine and cooling parts at no cost to me.

That is the minimum one should expect from a reputable company.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 19/06/2019 at 20:07, oldgroaner said:

Apologies to all, I have posted this on the wrong thread , it should be on the Skoda Octavia Mark 3, I shall reposi there,  perhaps an Admin can delete this one?

It won't hurt to leave these posts. :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I was inspecting for some resonance noise under the bonnet and noticed that coolant reservoir have a little play when you try to move it up-down. Althought im not sure that is the reason for that noise just wondering is that normal? 2.0 tdi engine.