Lack of power in the 1.6tdi

Nick78

Morning all, looking for some advise I've got the 1.6tdi sel my19 model 5 weeks old and 400 miles on the clock, I've noticed a real lack of power in the car, I've had 110 bhp in last diesel and this car is 115 bhp but it really feels like 90bhp very slow and when you try to over take the car really don't want to pick up speed. Anyone else had this issue, had rac out twice already as back breaks grinding from day 1 dealer says forgot to to pdi and it's just protective covers on breaks that will burn off over time, rac confirmed but something just don't seem right. Dealer won't book car in as says nothing wrong even though no pdi done and they even forgot to give me sat sd card, but that's another story.

What are the performance figures for the vehicle,they might help give an indication as to the performance? Skoda quotes 11.0 and 11.1       0-60.           Man and dsg .

Edited by Sad555

That poor that the MY19 1.6TDI SCR MANUAL Can not have a towbar fitted.   If really no PDI was carried out, no tyre pressures checked adjusted. No checks of fluid. Service setting etc done then they need to send out a Tech. Or the car goes back in.   Contact SKODA UK CUSTOMER SERVICES anyway. They import the cars. 

I don't fully understand this pdi stuff until rac told me what it ment, the dealer says it sounds like it was not done correctly as break covers still on, sd card missing , tyres not set up I had to do that, they say they don't need the car back in as nothing wrong with it, softwear is out of date, skoda uk confirmed this by me reading some number out and the sd card is an old one from another car , dealer says they will update on 1st service, don't get me wrong I do love the car, and I know new engines take a while before your get good mpg ect, but just seems really slow for a 1.6 tdi,  and I see I'm not the only one having issues with the apps 

I had one as a loan car when my Yeti (2.0 TDI 110 BHP) was in for a service and found it gutless.

It was a DSG and  I often had knock it down a gear or two or use manual mode to get decent acceleration in city traffic and on the open road which rather defeats the object of having an "auto". 

For me it would have to be the 2.0 diesel or the 1.5 petrol.

Edited by VAGCF

I've been told to try my settings as I use normal someone said try sport, as far as I know that only changes the steering wheel and not the power, again it may be the engine just needs to have time to be worn it as I'm taking it easy with it and it's the only size I can have for my 17 yo son to drive on my insurance without breaking the bank, car before was 184tdi so I'm.missing my power lol

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 16:32, skoda1982 said:

i have the 1.0l 3 pot has the same bhp 115ps and is quite nippy  and can have a tow bar

Same here, and no problems like the poor 1.5TSI's

10 hours ago, don_kiddik said:

Same here, and no problems like the poor 1.5TSI's

Just picked up a 4000 mile 1.5 tsi  Edition with DSG box and have covered a further 1000 miles in last 10 days with no issues and plenty of grunt .  What are the problems the poor 1.5 tsi's suffer from so I can look out for them ?? 

1 hour ago, Boxerdog1 said:

Just picked up a 4000 mile 1.5 tsi  Edition with DSG box and have covered a further 1000 miles in last 10 days with no issues and plenty of grunt .  What are the problems the poor 1.5 tsi's suffer from so I can look out for them ?? 

No problems with the 1.5tsi using the DSG

• Thanks 1

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 03:20, Nick78 said:

I've not got a clue either, both dealer and rac said its a plastic film that's over the rear breaks to protect them and the wheel needs taking off to remove them and they always forget, so that helps lol

What a load of crap..lol

4 hours ago, Boxerdog1 said:

Quite a few of the manual 1.5 TSI's have the kangaroo problem when setting off, the DSG variants don't seem to have this problem, hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nick78 said:

It must just be me then, I've got a 1k drive coming up in a few weeks so that should sort the engine out and I'll know what's what, thanks all for the replys 

No, it's not just you, as I said I found it gutless.

Part of the problem, due to the manufacturers chasing of improved fuel consumption figures, is that gearing is very high nowadays and the software wants to get you into the higher gears as soon as possible, quite often too early, before the engine is making real power and hence the lack of performance. 

Putting into Sport mode (by just pulling the selector back) will help as it will then hold onto the gears longer which will improve acceleration.

Apart from the lack of grunt I found the car very pleasant to drive.

11 minutes ago, don_kiddik said:

Quite a few of the manual 1.5 TSI's have the kangaroo problem when setting off, the DSG variants don't seem to have this problem, hope this helps.

At least 3 reports of low speed hunting causing DSG drivers problems when driving slowly. Probably same issue but different effect.

1 hour ago, xman said:

At least 3 reports of low speed hunting causing DSG drivers problems when driving slowly. Probably same issue but different effect.

No issues with DSG when driving slowly ... mind you have had a few DSGs now and perhaps I'm used to their idiosyncrasies !

Mine is the 1.6tdi manual, I also noticed the engine getting really loud and hot so popped into dealer this morning and asked if it's normal as was only on a mile drive and the engine fans was at full speed, learned something new , the new diesels heat up to over 800 c or something so it burns the crap from exhaust and keeps the dpf clear, so even if loads of short runs the car will keep the dpf clean which is great as last car had dpf issues, 

On 18/11/2018 at 03:20, Nick78 said:

I've not got a clue either, both dealer and rac said its a plastic film that's over the rear breaks to protect them and the wheel needs taking off to remove them and they always forget, so that helps lol

The only cars I've seen with wheel (or more likely brake disc) protectors on are Honda, and even then they're on the outside of the wheel (so easily removable), plus given how they look are unlikely to be left on by mistake...

new-car-transporter-leaves-honda-manufacturing-plant-swindon.jpg.38ccf6a11611f6a72a6355c76ce7a803.jpg

Edited by silver1011