Skoda Rapid has tiny wheels. Can I upgrade size?

Greegiecee

My Rapid has the tiniest tyres - 185-60-15. Honestly my old Seat made in 2000 has tyres that size! Am I able to increase the tyre size to 195 or even 205 on the same 15" rims? 

the rim is 6J x 15 ET38

3 minutes ago, Greegiecee said:

My Rapid has the tiniest tyres - 185-60-15

A 205/50R15 may fit (it's within limits for a 6.0J width), but I leave checking wheel arch clearances (inside and outside) to you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Are you bothered by losing mpg? 

Rapids on 215/40R17 lose 3 or 4 mpg. A 1.6TDI Rapid owner on here put 18s on and lost 8 mpg.

Thanks Camelspyyder. I'm only looking at going for a wider tyre, not necessarily the diameter. I just think 185 sounds absurdly narrow for this day and age! I may lose 1 or 2 mpg on slightly wider tyres I would think. 

13 minutes ago, fatzy said:

195/55-15 is a listed dimension for Rapid, so that would be an alternative. Also 205/55-15 which have approximately the same circumference could be a solution.

Thanks fatzy, this was what I was hoping to hear.

It depends what you want to achieve

see links below and test out your options. Note fitting a different size wheel or tyre will make the speedo inaccurate, in some cases not by much in others more.

I've just changed from  215/40/17 to 185/60/15 (the size of the spare that came with the car) and am now using CrossClimate tyres instead of the factory supplied Bridgestone. It's too soon for me to test the MPG (OBC is showing an improved MPG) but the ride is smoother and less noisy whilst I've not noticed any change in handling. So I'm ready for winter when (if) it comes, the original alloys with part worn tyres are in my garage ready for swap back until the tyres are worn out / next winter.

Note I'm running the Toledo spec version of the car but mechanicals are identical.  

https://www.willtheyfit.com//

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/rapid/2017/