skoda approved used and manufacturer's warranties questions

ronnie69

Not sure if this is in the right section but I couldn't find anywhere better to put it... It also goes on a bit so I hope you'll bear with me.

May 2018 I bought a roughly 2.5 year old approved used Superb 2.0 TDI SE Business Estate from a Skoda main dealer.

As part of the sales process, I query the length of warranty with the car because the dealership website said all used approved came with a minimum of 12 months warranty. I also say that it makes no sense for them to sell a 4 year old car with a 12 month used approved warranty, but a 2.5 year old car with only the 6 months remaining on the manufacturer's warranty. Long story short, they agree to 'top up' the warranty to 12 months in total and I stress that this is a crucial element of me deciding to buy.

On collection day, when I ask for the documents for the tail end of the warranty (the 'topped up' bit), salesman says "I'm just waiting on something from the sales manager for that, I'll send it on to you..."

I chase this up in a couple of emails and while in the dealership having some warranty work done (which should have been picked up before I collected the car but that's another matter). Salesman isn't in on the day I call in (and I'm not local to the dealers) but one of his colleagues says they'll pass a message on. I hear nothing and there is no reply to any emails.

I'm now getting towards the end of the manufacturer's warranty. I have a single slip of paper from the pile of 'bumph' I got on collection which refers to a used car warranty but it's literally a tick in a box on a sheet of paper with few words and no detail. I have no Ts and Cs about what the warranty covers or what its terms are and how I comply with it.

I've emailed asking for detail within 7 days and don't plan to ask again. They've had several opportunities to respond. I'm now considering buying the extended manufacturer's warranty then claiming pro rata from the dealer for the period over which I should already have their used car warranty as part of my purchase of the car. This may involve issuing a claim in the county court. I'd rather not but will if I have to. That bit doesn't worry me although I've better things to do.

Meanwhile, it may be useful to know a little more about used approved warranties. Is it usual to get some form of pack or other written info with Ts and Cs etc?

More generally, is there any difference in cost if I were to buy the extended manufacturer's warranty a few days after the original 3 year warranty ended (it ends just before Christmas and I know I'll be as busy as hell with 2 young kids and also don't want to buy that in case the dealer actually gets back to me with the info concerned).

I'm also wondering what the position would be once the dealer supplied 12 month warranty ends - ie 6 months after the manufacturer's warranty expires - again will it be dearer to buy then than just before the manufacturer's warranty expires? The skoda website doesn't appear to cater for this scenario.

Any words of wisdom from the collective?

'Skoda Approved Used Cars' come with a 12 month Warranty.   Why they charge a premium.  

Remainder of Manufacturers Warranty and whatever is required.

Get that confirmed by the Dealer Principal in writing.  http://skoda.co.uk/used-cars/deals

If the dealership or their employees are incompetent then contact the company that made them Official Dealers.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

Edited by Skoffski

The 12 month warranty offer on Skoda Used Approved cars from the dealership should have come with an a4 page certificate stating the dates applicable and a booklet details what is and is not covered b the used warranty. This is applicable whether its a 6 month extension to top up the remaining manufacturers warranty or on a 4/5 year old car. The warranty is offered and administered by Skoda UK, not through a 3rd party. 

As an aside, it also includes breakdown cover and MoT insurance... 

I cannot comment on your dealer but that, I believe, is how the process should be followed. 

Edited by Teggers

The process should be manufacturers warranty until 3 years (or mileage limit), then used car warranty for remainder (which is not as comprehensive)

If you have been offered it, should be free (strictly included in the price you are paying), not extra cost

On 19/12/2018 at 10:32, Teggers said:

The 12 month warranty offer on Skoda Used Approved cars from the dealership should have come with an a4 page certificate stating the dates applicable and a booklet details what is and is not covered b the used warranty. This is applicable whether its a 6 month extension to top up the remaining manufacturers warranty or on a 4/5 year old car. The warranty is offered and administered by Skoda UK, not through a 3rd party. 

As an aside, it also includes breakdown cover and MoT insurance... 

I cannot comment on your dealer but that, I believe, is how the process should be followed. 

That is exactly how it was as you described when I recently bought my 2.5 year old Superb from a main dealer. 

12 months warranty, mot cover, breakdown cover.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies, useful stuff.

Dealer never responded and I didn’t carry out my earlier threat (2 very young kids, both ill recently and many more pressing things to do). I’m considering my next move but meanwhile does anyone have the number for the breakdown service under the approved used scheme in case the dealer continues to refuse/fail to respond to me? I should probably just phone Skoda headoffice about this, but I only seem to get round to these matters late at night when skoda ho won’t be answering.

cheers

9 hours ago, ronnie69 said:

. I’m considering my next move but meanwhile does anyone have the number for the breakdown service under the approved used scheme in case the dealer continues to refuse/fail to respond to me? 

The phone number from a mobile is 0330 100 3243

Hope the kids are better. Have 2 small ones myself and its never good when theyre sick. 

Edited by Teggers