Guide - How to clean your MAF sensor.

Goochie

From time to time you may be prompted by a Brsikoda member or other source to clean your MAF sensor. Symptoms of a faulty sensor can be a reduction in fuel economy, lumpy idle or a fault code logged in the ECU.

If you are not experiencing problems that could be related to the MAF sensor it is best left alone.

Purchase a can of Isopropanol based electrical contact cleaner. Halfords sell it in a yellow/green aerosol can marked as "Electrical parts cleaner". You'll need a small plastic bag without holes, the best choice is a food freezer bag.

1) Open the bonnet and locate the MAF sensor. On the 1.8T Octavia, It can be found at the back right corner of the main plastic engine cover with the other end being attached to the air filter box.

2) Remove the main plastic engine cover by releasing the large rubberised screws.

3) Carefully unclip the electrical connector to the sensor.

4) Remove the screws that hold the cover on the air box and the 2 that hold the MAF to the airbox.

5) Use a pair of latching mole grips to hold the circular clip open on the other side of the MAF to the air box - you need to pinch the 2 tabs together. The mole grips are good because you can leave the clip pinched and keep your hands free.

6) With the clip loose, withdraw the MAF housing from the vehicle. If you look into the housing through the end that has both a plastic and wire mesh protector you will see a small opening in a plastic protrusion at the centre of the housing. This it the "business end" of the MAF and the part which may require cleaning.

7) Place the MAF housing in the plastic bag. Depending on your cleaner you'll have to pour it in from a bottle or sit there spraying an aerosol for ages.

With the bag close around the sensor put enough cleaner in there to half fill the bore of the sensor housing.

8) Hold the bag closed and shake the cleaner around in all directions in the MAF housing.

9) carefully dispose of the cleaning fluid

10) if using an aerosol cleaner it may be worth having a final spray around the sensor.

11) leave the sensor over night to thoroughly dry out.

12) refit to car.

• 11 months later...

great tip - I had read somewhere IIRC that MAF cleaning is best done when you are sure that there is a MAF problem and are about to pay up for getting it changed in any case. You have nothing to lose if cleaning doesnt work and a new MAF sensor is pretty dear IIRC.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've had a warning light come up and have had it read and it says the maf is not working, took it off to clean it but it seems clean as a whistle inside?? Should I still clean it or bite the bullet and get a new one?

• 6 months later...
  • 8 years later...
On 22/03/2006 at 09:06, Goochie said:

From time to time you may be prompted by a Brsikoda member or other source to clean your MAF sensor. Symptoms of a faulty sensor can be a reduction in fuel economy, lumpy idle or a fault code logged in the ECU.

If you are not experiencing problems that could be related to the MAF sensor it is best left alone.

Purchase a can of Isopropanol based electrical contact cleaner. Halfords sell it in a yellow/green aerosol can marked as "Electrical parts cleaner". You'll need a small plastic bag without holes, the best choice is a food freezer bag.

1) Open the bonnet and locate the MAF sensor. On the 1.8T Octavia, It can be found at the back right corner of the main plastic engine cover with the other end being attached to the air filter box.

2) Remove the main plastic engine cover by releasing the large rubberised screws.

3) Carefully unclip the electrical connector to the sensor.

4) Remove the screws that hold the cover on the air box and the 2 that hold the MAF to the airbox.

5) Use a pair of latching mole grips to hold the circular clip open on the other side of the MAF to the air box - you need to pinch the 2 tabs together. The mole grips are good because you can leave the clip pinched and keep your hands free.

6) With the clip loose, withdraw the MAF housing from the vehicle. If you look into the housing through the end that has both a plastic and wire mesh protector you will see a small opening in a plastic protrusion at the centre of the housing. This it the "business end" of the MAF and the part which may require cleaning.

7) Place the MAF housing in the plastic bag. Depending on your cleaner you'll have to pour it in from a bottle or sit there spraying an aerosol for ages.

With the bag close around the sensor put enough cleaner in there to half fill the bore of the sensor housing.

8) Hold the bag closed and shake the cleaner around in all directions in the MAF housing.

9) carefully dispose of the cleaning fluid

10) if using an aerosol cleaner it may be worth having a final spray around the sensor.

11) leave the sensor over night to thoroughly dry out.

12) refit to car.

Hi great explanation thanks what I wanted to know is im not experiencing any lumpy problems or running /power loss at all . I had eml light on last year I read the codes and it was 02 sensor lambda bank 1 sensor 1 I replaced but few days after the light came back on (as happened to someone else in another thread on here) I haven't done anything since except turned it off for the mot and that lasted the day ;) I read it could possibly be a problem caused by dirty mass airflow sensor but as you say don't touch it if no running problems?  Was wondering whether to leave it or try ? Also I have some holts egr and carb cleaner anyone used that ? Thanks 

6 hours ago, abudabi555 said:

Hi great explanation thanks what I wanted to know is im not experiencing any lumpy problems or running /power loss at all . I had eml light on last year I read the codes and it was 02 sensor lambda bank 1 sensor 1 I replaced but few days after the light came back on (as happened to someone else in another thread on here) I haven't done anything since except turned it off for the mot and that lasted the day ;) I read it could possibly be a problem caused by dirty mass airflow sensor but as you say don't touch it if no running problems?  Was wondering whether to leave it or try ? Also I have some holts egr and carb cleaner anyone used that ? Thanks 

Second thoughts best to use the proper stuff but really should i touch it or not ?