Spark plugs

Tomsalmon

Wondered why the car was misfiring so thought I’d change both the plugs and ignition coils and found this! Any way of getting the snapped part out from inside the engine? Was also some missing ceramic also! Apart from oil, oil filter air filter spark plugs what other bits require a service? Car is now running perfect again! cars done 78,000 and as I’m aware nothing major has been done so far!

86858BCC-15B7-44C9-8AA0-D5E34602B376.jpeg

@roaddetectivethank you! @Skoffski can it be fatal for an engine if that happens? I’m literally clueless on most things car related but I can pick stuff up easily hence changing the plugs and ignition coils. Why do people advertise a tool for removing those and say that you need one? I literally prized up under the wire harness and pulled up on top of the coil with grips! Number 1,3 and 4 were looking like they had limescale obviously not that but looked similar then that one in the photo which was the 2nd one. Going to replace the oil and oil filter and air filter but was wondering if they’re was anything else I need to do!

More than 20% of the 1,800 CAVE engine Fabia in the UK had rebuilt or replaced engines, and a good many had the tip break off a plug and not just burn out.

Best use a Coil Removal tool. & be careful.  Time for a new Fuel Filter i would say, & brake fluid change if not done already.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/348086-vrs-engine-death

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/454617-mk-ii-vrs-engine-endgame

Loads of similar threads sadly since 2010.

PS. 

IMO & IME you should use VW502 00 spec oil, so 5w 40 FS and no need for Castrol i would rather buy ASDA or COMMA oil.

Edited by Skoffski

2 hours ago, roaddetective said:

Those small pieces of spark plug will have been blown out of the exhaust valves.

You would be extremely lucky to have such large pieces blow out the exhaust without major damage. 

For one the exhaust valve opening is small and as I have seen myself they would likely wedge in the valve seat, of course, running problems follow along with damaged valve and seats. So then if gets past then it smashes onto the turbo wheel, possibly inflicting terminal damage.

More likely still in the cylinder either stuck to the crown, or rattling about, peppering the head, crown and bore. Or stuck between piston and bore scoring the wall. 

Camera inspection recommended. And compression test as well.

Not a worn plug but catastrophic failed plug.

Often the piece does not break off but burns down.

I have had 2 engines with plugs like that.

I have seen others with the tip broken off.

There are pictures in threads in this section of engines with the head off and what the bore can look like.

The top plugs were taken from a car by me, and the next by another member.

*The engines lived long and prospered.*

post-86161-0-95794600-1483521097 (1).jpg

5996b3e106f40_DensoVSNKGIR.jpg.b78f9be1afe81e8cf54213d2955755e4.jpg

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

Not exactly new to this section is it!

That is 1.4 TSI CAVE engines for you,  why discontinued, why breather mods, software updates, spark plug updates, oil spray jet upgrade and more software updates.

and even some CTHE then failed.  Hence discontinued.   

Failure rate was high, even replacement engines failed.

http://onlyrevo.com/support/sales/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mark wastnidge said:

Hi

Does this issue only apply to the vrs?  

I've a 61 montecarlo 105hp petrol.  

Cheers mark 

Its really only seen in the 1.4 vrs engines and possibly in the 1.8 gen 1/2 engines. Oil burners on the whole.

This is what a worn plug taken out of an EA111 1.2 tsi engine looks like ..after 86k miles, worst plug from cylinder 3, missing platinum disc on worn ground electrode..IMG_20180207_231636-1-1.thumb.jpg.3bdd17ffd785b69f025b9c270462538a.jpg

On the other hand this plug also came out at same mileage on cylinder 4 - hardly any wear!

IMG_20180207_232515-1.thumb.jpg.477deb31be8ff66652f6cdb9c049ef26.jpg

As can be seen from the plug threads, cylinder 3 has been running hotter than cylinder 4

I'm going to change my plugs in the coming weeks,  I'm old school so use to changing plugs every 10k or less.  

My fabia done 37k and got a stutter when cold.

Having read other threads.  I'll prob change coil too while I'm at it. 

I'll get some pics of my plugs for comparison. 

Cheers mark 

Not sure where you get your parts from but I got a code for Euro car parts and it cost me £110 for 4 ignition coils and 4 plugs. Which I thought was pretty decent. One was like the Photo above and the other 3 had a buildup of a sort of limescale like the photo below, top image but not as bad as that! Let me know how you get on, if you haven’t done it before you’ll have to remove some pipes to get acesss to number 1 as it’s impossible without doing so! 

BEE4D146-5E91-410E-AE01-74112975D84B.png