Fabia 2 tailgate rust.

Emaharg

Hello. I have just found rust around the rear number plate lights on my recently aquired 2010 fabia estate. I thought this was shocking on a relatively new car, but see from the forum I am not the only one with this problem. Do Skoda acknowledge this and put it right?

Brad

Hi sparticus68.

Thanks for your reply. It looks like some people have this issue far worse than me. In the meantime, I have cleaned and sanded my affected areas around the lights and given them a coat of smooth hammerite for now.

1 hour ago, Emaharg said:

Hi sparticus68.

Thanks for your reply. It looks like some people have this issue far worse than me. In the meantime, I have cleaned and sanded my affected areas around the lights and given them a coat of smooth hammerite for now.

That might not have been the best idea as it could be a get out for skoda if you’ve messed about with it. 

There's not much value left in a 9 year old Skoda (other than what it's worth to you). Granted, a call to Skoda for a paint inspection would have been the way to go, but it's done now. No point beating yourself up about it. I've dealt with Audi before on similar issue with 80 avant and A4 Avant and got nowhere. They wriggled off the hook like a worm!

Yes, understood. I can live with it ok. Its not something  thats visible until you lift the hatch, and being a black car, the black Hammerite is hardly noticeable. It was just a shock to find rust on a relatively new/modern car.  I think that at sometime in the near future, I will take the trim panel off and give the hatch a spray of GT85 or something similar around the seams and anywhere else that looks suspect

The difference between the mk1 & mk2 metal thickness is considerable. looking at my mk2 estate tailgate today whilst sorting the wiper motor I saw rust in the usual places (around the number-plate lights & lock handle). Note this is with the tailgate card removed. Not really much I can do except get the blow-torch out, warm & dry the area & cover the area with grease plus the WD 40 can to spray into the cracks from the inside. Too cold for waxoil but that's planned for summertime.

• Like 1

I had the same problem of corrosion around the number plate lights on my 2008 Fabia 1.9Tdi estsate last year.After being inspected at D.M.Keith, Hull a new tailgate was fitted under the 10 year paint/corrosion warranty.

• Like 1

The dealer was most likely very happy to fit it. Skoda U.K. will stump up the cost under warranty, the dealer gets paid a nice chunk of dough and gets a very happy customer, to boot (Or hatch)! 

Gonna quickly run out and inspect mine, now as its a late 2009 model!

Edited by mrgf

Yes, understood. I can live with it ok. Its not something  thats visible until you lift the hatch, and being a black car, the black Hammerite is hardly noticeable. It was just a shock to find ruust on a relatively new/modern car.  I think that at sometime in the near future, I will take the trim panel off and give the hatch a spray of GT85 or something similar around the seams and anywhere else that looks suspect

Hello again  Despite my earlier post where I thought I would live with the tailgate rust, I am encouraged by the replies where skoda dealers seem to have been willing to honour the ten year warranty.  I suspect I will shortly pay my dealer a visit and see what that say.

• 1 year later...
On 21/01/2019 at 13:51, Emaharg said:

Hello again  Despite my earlier post where I thought I would live with the tailgate rust, I am encouraged by the replies where skoda dealers seem to have been willing to honour the ten year warranty.  I suspect I will shortly pay my dealer a visit and see what that say.

Just seen mine today, how did you go on at skoda 

IMG_20200610_180851.jpg

IMG_20200610_180921.jpg

IMG_20200610_181149.jpg

Hi Jamesey, as that other post was over a year ago and no follow-on, I would think the guy "Lost out" By tackling the issue himself! 

I would, in your case, go straight to your local Skoda dealer and INSIST they do something about it! At close to the ten year mark, they might try to offer a respray but that may just bubble up again in a year or two so ask for a whole new tailgate. They are not THAT expensive! Probably, the paint and labour will be the highest cost. 

The only other thing is, any repair may well only carry the original warranty so as the car reaches ten years old and the new tail rusts again (Worse case), You will still run out of warranty, even if it was replaced a short while ago. 

This changes with purchased parts as they carry a two year warranty and most accident repair workshops offer up to five years on repairs/paintwork fixed under warranty. (This sounds good until you think... A newish car hit up the rear and a new bumper fitted, the bumper is now covered for five years, the ORIGINAL ONE, would have had the ten year warranty for paint)!

So many variables...

Hi.

Yes I lost out. 

When I first found the rust around the number plate lights on my estate I was very alarmed and it being the middle of winter I wanted to try to stop it getting worse.This was before I realised there was a ten year warranty against corrosion. So I scraped of the loose rust andbrushed on some smooth black Hammerite. (Car is also black). Briefly, after this I then found out about the warranty and went to my dealership. They weren't aware of any such corrosion problem, hahaha. Was eventually referred to their body shop 30 miles away. They were very helpful and checked the car all over to ensure it hadn't been resprayed in the past. Told them about the Hammerite and said I was quite happy to scrape it all off. They said not to bother and reported back to the dealership. These miserable ******s were determined to follow the company line and said the paint I put on invalidated the warranty. Thats the end of the story. I have since made a more permanent job with the hammerite and it remains fine. The issue in my case is the foam rubber gaskets they fit under the number plate lights that soak up water and never dry out. Desighn error.

• Sad 1

Shame but obvious...

As a manufacturer, someone alters what you made and then complains about the workmanship... What would you (Or I) Do? 

That said, I am sure they knew of the issue but then, someone might just have had a few issues and "Allowed" the vehicle to deteriorate, prior to claiming under warranty.