What off road tyres do you use

R1100

I want to change my tyres for a more all terrain biased tyres but keep my 19inch rims.  I am mostly on slippery muddy tracks and grass with the occaisional gloopy bit.

Can you advise your choice of all terrain tyre or at least a tyre that can cope with the above.  My stock Hankooks are ok but do struggle at times

Thanks

You gonna need some M+S (mud + snow) tyres.

But it`s not easy to find 19" all season tyres.

At least Continental, Nokian and Goodyear do not produce such sizes.

Edited by linni

Your best choice seems to be to go for all season (M+S) tyres.

Michelin CrossClimate

Pirelli Scorpion Verde

Vredestein Quatrac 5

Or Vredestein Geolandar A/T  G015, which is pretty serious all terrain tyre, but you have to make a compromise in wheel size: they only make 235/55/19 

• Like 2

The Yokohama Geolander are good onroad and not bad AT's offroad, i have used them on a Yeti on 16" Rims and on a Jimny on 15's.

But for a Kodiaq to get All Terrains that are good in mud i think you need to go for 225 tyres with a higher profile or go for 18" rims and AT's.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

http://4x4tyres.co.uk

http://camskill.co.uk

I had G012  AT-S,  as is standard fitment for road use on the Ariel Nomad.  For offroad they have Yokohama Mud Tyres.

Yokohama Geolander 235.70 R15 8x15%27s 019.JPG

I have BF Goodrich A/T's, KM2's & Mud tyres for my Jimny.

But on my V8 Automatic 110 i had BF Goodrich A/T's and for the road and towing they were good, in snow and mud and even slippy grass just rubbish really compared to the like of Cooper A/Ts.

clova november snow 017.JPG

BFG KM2 009 (640x480) (1).jpg

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

I really miss my Defenders but they aren't as good for long distance. Had Cooper's AT3 on my last one which were better imho than the BFG ATs UI had before.

Interesting that the Scout uses either the same Hankooks I use or the pirelli. Never had perelli Scorpion Verde.

Need to think about this. Thanks for the replies

• Like 1

I swapped from a 110 Defender on Cooper STTs to a 2011 Octi Scout. It came with Hankook icept evo2's - a snow tyre.  I do a lot of driving on farm tracks, back roads and the odd foray into fields. I was cautious how the tyres would perform, but having just swapped them for a the same again after 45,000 miles of varied driving I would suggest a look at them, unless you like leaving braking from speed to the last minute.  Fuel economy is good (45+mpg unless on short runs).  Towed a 1.4 tonne trailer through a wet grassy field lambing field (notoriously greasy) last spring without any hit of slippage. Coming from a Defender, I am impressed with how it has performed. You are looking at £100-110/tyre in 225/55R17, not sure about your sizes. I leave them on all year round - the cost of having a second set of tyres/rims is equal to the alleged fuel saving, but I don't have to swap them and lose lots of room in an already crowded garage. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 25/01/2019 at 11:39, R1100 said:

I really miss my Defenders but they aren't as good for long distance. Had Cooper's AT3 on my last one which were better imho than the BFG ATs UI had before.

Interesting that the Scout uses either the same Hankooks I use or the pirelli. Never had perelli Scorpion Verde.

Need to think about this. Thanks for the replies

Did you come to any conclusions?