Good Reviews of 1.5 engine!

granty09

I thought it would it be good for people, who have yet to take delivery of their Karoq (including myself), more specifically people with the 1.5 engine in both manual and DSG, to hear from people who haven't encountered any problems with the 'kangarooing' with their car. I haven't come across many, if any, posts regarding the engine not having any problems and I think it would just be good to hear from these Karoq owners as generally problems are shouted about more than non problems! Having recently purchased the SE L 1.5 DSG it would just be good to know that there are some owners who don't suffer the apparent fault. Maybe useful to specify whether you own a manual or DSG :) Thanks peeps! 

Hi Granty, ive had my 1.5tsi SEL DSG for a couple of weeks now and love it. No kangarooing (It may be that the dsg box manages to  overcome it) very refined.

Im sure you will love your car!

2 minutes ago, Breezy said:

Hi Granty, ive had my 1.5tsi SEL DSG for a couple of weeks now and love it. No kangarooing (It may be that the dsg box manages to  overcome it) very refined.

Im sure you will love your car!

Hi Breezy, I'm sure are plenty of owners that don't have a problem, they just don't make enough noise about it. I was seriously considering cancelling the order with all the bad reviews, but I should probably stick with it! 

If they were all bad yins then then sales would be suspended. If 50% were wrong sales would be suspended, 

sadly it could be 1% or 5% or10% bad and VW Group will just keep some getting very bad cars.

Vorsprung Durch Technik ,  you would thinks so and hope so, but VW never learn, they let social media go crazy on lemons while failing to deal with the problem few.

• Like 2

At worst I get an occasional slight hesitancy/jerkiness, when warming up. only in very cold conditions. I can put up with this, for the overall price/package. Thats it. Its fine. as Breezy has said - you will love your car - I do.

• Like 1

READ the posts ........ The problems are largely, though not exclusively, associated with the manual gearbox NOT the dsg. The dsg box seems to be able to mask the issues. I wouldn't touch one with the dsg box either as I would be suspicious of storing up troubles for later. My Karoq is the manual version - great car but I cannot put up with the dying at junctions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StEdmund said:

READ the posts ........ The problems are largely, though not exclusively, associated with the manual gearbox NOT the dsg. The dsg box seems to be able to mask the issues. I wouldn't touch one with the dsg box either as I would be suspicious of storing up troubles for later. My Karoq is the manual version - great car but I cannot put up with the dying at junctions.

I would not be at all happy with the manual from the way you describe it. My last 3 cars have been autos, this is my first DSG. I can't see myself with with a manual in the future. My wifes Fabia is a great car. But in town with 6 gears means constant gear changing. 

I don't see the DSG as storing up troubles. I don't expect the car to change from what it it does now. I intend to keep the car for around 5 years, (keeping up with warranties) It has done some 6,000 miles in 9 months.

10 hours ago, StEdmund said:

I wouldn't touch one with the dsg box either as I would be suspicious of storing up troubles for later. 

Not sure how a dsg box is going to store up problems for later. Fact is, this is a well known issue with manual vehicles using the 1.5 evo engine in several VAG models.

Ive not seen any reports of kangarooing with the dsg box and no reports of dangerous loss of power when pulling away.

One or two individuals have said they get some sensation of hesitation in low speed driving when box is moving between low gears but that is a small number and even they then say that it doesnt concern them to the degree of having the car checked over or serious enough to stop their enjoyment of the vehicle.

It may well be that the DSG box is able to manage the issue better than most drivers would and so it isnt an issue, or it may be some other reason, but the fact is that generally the 1.5tsi with DSG is a very nice drive.

Not sure that comments re the 1.5tsi/DSG combination made by (understandably frustrated) 1.5tsi/manual owners,who are not, by definition, driving the DSG models, are particularly helpful?

The OP is looking for reassurance re his choice of 1.5tsi DSG and I think he can take that from the fact that so few are coming on to forums like this to complain about their vehicles.

The majority seem to be impressed with them.

Edited by Breezy

Had our SEL 1.5 DSG for just over a week now and about 180 miles in , no kangarooing noticed so far. The throttle /power delivery on the 1st gear somes seems either too sensitive or a bit slow in reacting , nothing major just need to adapt to the throttle. PS the LED lights on the Karoq are bloody fantastic ! Way better than the Xenons on my Golf R.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have my 1.5 DSG for 7 months (~11.000 km) now and I don't see any loss of power or kangarooing. The only concern I have when I'm in 2nd gear and goes to 3rd, the throttle requires more power (over 2000 rpms). But besides this, I see no issues on usage of DSG. (forgot to mention that for more than 10 years I was not thinking at all about automatic gear; I thought that it was for lazy people etc.; but now, I look at comfort and better enjoy the ride).

• Thanks 1

@Breezy,

Likely there will be no issues with DSG / DQ200's in the near or distant future.

VW Group should have learned after a 'World Wide Recall' in 2012 excluding Europe, then the Service Campaign stating 2013 in Europe.

Then 2013-2015 the issues that required service campaign '34H5' a software update.

Then from 2015-2018 across various models the 'Slipping Clutch' issues that have finally had a TPI issues and software updates & upgraded Clutch Packs.

Just remember if any issues, Report them early, or VW / Skoda will say "Never heard of that before."  while some say 'They all do that, it is a characteristic."

Maybe time Twin Dry Clutch DSG had a 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty as VW had to give where the 'World Wide Recall' was done, ie in countries rthat matter to VW because courts would rip them a new one...

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Breezy said:

SE-L is a nice spec Granty, what colour have you gone for?

The SE-L had everything we wanted, in the class and price range, I couldn't really find a better car. Quartz Grey and added extra of Heated Windscreen! I thought about the Digital cockpit but couldn't quite stretch to that. Was going to do family pack as well but thought I'd save a bit and just buy a separate boot mat!

11 minutes ago, granty09 said:

The SE-L had everything we wanted, in the class and price range, I couldn't really find a better car. Quartz Grey and added extra of Heated Windscreen! I thought about the Digital cockpit but couldn't quite stretch to that. Was going to do family pack as well but thought I'd save a bit and just buy a separate boot mat!

I am a big fan of the heated windscreen! Also the heated steering wheel is a touch of luxury on a very cold morning. Two little moans -  the alcantara seats. On a long journey say 80/90 miles plus, i need to stop and have a walk around. The seats whilst comfortable are a little too firm. Also the SE -L DSG spins the front wheels on its standard tyres, if pulling swiftly out of a junction. Winter only. Thats about it - apart from that its probably the best car i have owned. (Including BMW, VW)

31 minutes ago, granty09 said:

I think, to be honest, I'm just over thinking everything, partly to do with the fact it's the most money we've ever handed over for a car. What will be will be, I will enjoy the car and deal with any problems I have if they show up :)

Over thinking... that's me

We have had our Karoq DSG Edition 1.5 for a year today.  This is our first Skoda and I know that forums are often full of people wanting help with problems but I was thinking only the other day if I was looking now and reading all the tales of woe would I have persuaded my husband away from purchasing the car and I think I really would have, however, he loves the car and we haven't had problems with the DSG box.  Husband drives his on eco mode most of the time, what he likes is that you can flick the gearstick backwards at the approach to a busy roundabout and it will switch to sports mode, then flick back and it will revert to previous mode, so for those occasions where you need to accelerate quickly it is easily possible.  Just had its first service on Tuesday the only negative from the dealer was that they didn't have any windscreen wipers in stock, which he said the bosses were not happy about and couldn't work out how that had happened so I think that issue won't arise again.  We have heated windscreen and nozzles, mostly the car is kept in a garage but when husband finishes work tonight I am sure he will appreciate that as it is -3C today, he says it clears the screen so quickly and you can feel the screen is warmer in the heated area that the edges.  Waiting for him to come home tonight after filling up the tank we are going to see how many miles and what petrol consumption we've used over the year, only because we used to have a Lexus hybrid and it would be good to see the comparison.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

I am a big fan of the heated windscreen! Also the heated steering wheel is a touch of luxury on a very cold morning. Two little moans -  the alcantara seats. On a long journey say 80/90 miles plus, i need to stop and have a walk around. The seats whilst comfortable are a little too firm. Also the SE -L DSG spins the front wheels on its standard tyres, if pulling swiftly out of a junction. Winter only. Thats about it - apart from that its probably the best car i have owned. (Including BMW, VW)

It's good to actually hear a decent personal review of the car, there are people out there who like the car and have positive experiences :) I much prefer a firm seat, same with mattresses although that's another conversation. I'm coming from a car with firm sports suspension so hopefully the firm seats won't be too much of a problem on long journeys :) 

14 minutes ago, womanofkent said:

Over thinking... that's me

We have had our Karoq DSG Edition 1.5 for a year today.  This is our first Skoda and I know that forums are often full of people wanting help with problems but I was thinking only the other day if I was looking now and reading all the tales of woe would I have persuaded my husband away from purchasing the car and I think I really would have, however, he loves the car and we haven't had problems with the DSG box.  Husband drives his on eco mode most of the time, what he likes is that you can flick the gearstick backwards at the approach to a busy roundabout and it will switch to sports mode, then flick back and it will revert to previous mode, so for those occasions where you need to accelerate quickly it is easily possible.  Just had its first service on Tuesday the only negative from the dealer was that they didn't have any windscreen wipers in stock, which he said the bosses were not happy about and couldn't work out how that had happened so I think that issue won't arise again.  We have heated windscreen and nozzles, mostly the car is kept in a garage but when husband finishes work tonight I am sure he will appreciate that as it is -3C today, he says it clears the screen so quickly and you can feel the screen is warmer in the heated area that the edges.  Waiting for him to come home tonight after filling up the tank we are going to see how many miles and what petrol consumption we've used over the year, only because we used to have a Lexus hybrid and it would be good to see the comparison.

Brilliant, makes me feel better that there are people out there who have good experiences of the car. Looking forward to picking it up. Original delivery was supposed to be end of March but now looking like end of May :/

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@womanofkent

Goes to show that until Skoda can assure New Customers placing orders that there are no issues, maybe buying a year old Karoq 1.5TSI might be simply clever.

Sounds a great idea, how much will someone give me, only 8500 approx miles on the clock, Edition model with extras :rofl: 

having said that don't think I could persuade husband to change it though :doh: