1.5 TSI ACT vibration and noise

Hi,

Is there someone here who has problem with cylinder shut off function?

If the RPM is around 2000 and ECO signal appears on instrument panel I can hear an abnormal noise.

Looks like there is a vibration when 2 cylinder mode is active.

The car is on the workshop but there is no DTC so they could no do anything.

I have a replacement car and in this car there is no vibration and noise.

I think that there is a problem with the engine mount bracket, dual mass flywheel or exhaust system.

What do you think?

• 1 month later...

i think i can relate to your issue.

When you drive 50 / 70, you put up the cruise control, the ECO sign appears (or 2 cyl) and wait for around 2-3 seconds. the buffeting starts (like an open window ?)

for the vibrations part, it's under the driver seat ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/05/2019 at 21:21, cr_2dman said:

i think i can relate to your issue.

When you drive 50 / 70, you put up the cruise control, the ECO sign appears (or 2 cyl) and wait for around 2-3 seconds. the buffeting starts (like an open window ?)

for the vibrations part, it's under the driver seat ?

6th speed and around 100km/h

Yes cruise control active and open rear window effect can be heard.

I can't feel the vibration only buffering noise can be heard. 

Very low frequencies  noise.

Went to the dealer. they confirm this is an issue, but wait for the factory to come with a solution.

It also can be heard when stationairy when the car is up in the air. (whatever the thingy is called in english a bridge?)

17 hours ago, cr_2dman said:

Went to the dealer. they confirm this is an issue, but wait for the factory to come with a solution.

It also can be heard when stationairy when the car is up in the air. (whatever the thingy is called in english a bridge?)

I was at the dealer. They could hear the noise but unfortunately they cannot do anything because the all 1.5 TSI engine has the same problem.

I got a replacement car and I could hear this noise but with lower decibel.

45 minutes ago, Amarton said:

It would be solution for me if I can deactivate the 2 cylinder mode with VCDS or ODIS.

Is it possible?

I think it would be possible, since the engine can decide to (de)activate. However, to do this, would be changing the co2 output of the car, (hence dieselgate :p)

• 7 months later...

My Superb 150 also has this vibration, it is quite noticeable on a stretch of billiard table smooth road I drive daily.
 I also get quite a bit of clutch judder when taking off *very* gently. Both conditions are quite specific but can be induced predictably.

My service is due on couple of months, will get them to take a look at it then. I still have a year+ on the warranty but I will push to get it resolved then.

Did anyone ever find a solution outside of a software update? Have also seen some folks say to use only basic fuels as this reduces the vibration.
Anything with mounts or clutches?

I'd also be curious to know if the ACT (Active Cylinder Technology) feature can be disabled.

It works as it is supposed to on our Kodiaq but I can feel it turning on and off and would rather not.

I referred to an absence of a murmur 

I have a neighbour who has a room full of Naim hi-fi equipment and spends his time listening for distortions .

A murmur may be in the ear or brain of the listener ......subjective / objective 

My wife notices lots of things of which I am blissfully unaware until she points them out 

Regards

• Like 1

The ACT on my Kodiaq changes the engine note audibly, as you'd imagine going from 4 cylinders down to 2,  as quiet as the engine is it can still be heard.

At certain engine temeratures and RPM when ACT activates it can be felt too, like a brief misfire or hesitation. Not always but enough to notice.

It is simply another function that VAG use to hit strict emission targets, that they then attempt to market to their customers as features trying to convey benefits that often aren't there.

If turning off ACT costs me 0.01mpg and improves the potential for increased longer term reliability then I'll take that.

Edited by silver1011

I think it's about 10% more MPG, so I wouldn't throw that away... in real money depending how much your drive that could be a set of tyres in 2 years.
What are your driving habits silver1011 , short / medium journeys or long journeys?
Subjectively my ACT was smoother after a few hundred mile journey, I usually do 10Km to from work with a short mway stint.

PS Is your handle something to do with Lockheed Tristar?

On 04/01/2020 at 20:31, wrecked-looking-guy said:

I think it's about 10% more MPG, so I wouldn't throw that away... in real money depending how much your drive that could be a set of tyres in 2 years.
What are your driving habits silver1011 , short / medium journeys or long journeys?
Subjectively my ACT was smoother after a few hundred mile journey, I usually do 10Km to from work with a short mway stint.

PS Is your handle something to do with Lockheed Tristar?

i've tuned my 1.5 ACT. the ACT is now  "deactivated" of the engine, after 2 tanks, the consumption stayed the same for mixed consumption: i'm at 6.2L (mixed). At Town only with short distances (<5km) i consume around 7L (which is properly more as it used to be)

The DSG is now also tuned, it won't go as low as it used to be, the dsg now keeps around 2000RPM instead of 1400RPM. And it won't go to the red zone when i press the pedal to hard. I also won't switch 2 gears back when i ask for 'some' power on the highway

I don't regret tuning it off. The vibrations and sounds it makes is really awful.  Compare it with an open window effect.

And yes i went to 3 dealers, they all say it's normal, bla bla bla. I went to a test center to drive the same care, it wasn't AS awful as mine. when i reported this to the dealer they said "they all do that, we don't care".

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm new, but I own a Octavia Mk3.5 of 2017. Now she has 70k km on the clock and I'm facing some strange noises from motor bay. 

Could you tell me if this is normal? Dealer says it is, but I'm not quiet sure. It happens only till 1200 RPM (if you have a constant 1200 RPM or when you rev it above and then the revs drops below 1200 RPM - then you also hear it). Above is quiet. No matter of clutch (pressed or not), gearbox (neutral or in a gear), AC (on or Off)... There is no noise during warm-up sequence, but just from when the revs drops after warm-up. The noise is louder when the oil is warm (example: after long drive on highway, when the oil reached 100 °C).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1941uczMSJ5z3KOioL5egh7bhUO3KXmin/view?usp=sharing

Another question is "how do I know if this engine had GPF?". Do all 1.5 TSI have GPF? On "MySkoda" app the Production date says August 2017.

And another question. Which oil do I need to feel? or better... Which oil is the most suitable for this engine? I'm doing regular changes at 15k or 1 year no matter what. Also I somehow suspect that this noise have to do it with too thin oil? Possible?

Thank a lot in advance

• 1 year later...
On 20/03/2019 at 14:32, Amarton said:

Hi,

Is there someone here who has problem with cylinder shut off function?

If the RPM is around 2000 and ECO signal appears on instrument panel I can hear an abnormal noise.

Looks like there is a vibration when 2 cylinder mode is active.

The car is on the workshop but there is no DTC so they could no do anything.

I have a replacement car and in this car there is no vibration and noise.

I think that there is a problem with the engine mount bracket, dual mass flywheel or exhaust system.

What do you think?

Dear Amarton

I drive the same engine VW Passat and I think I have the same problem. What did you do eventually? What happened? Any diagnosis so far? Regards.