New 1.5 engine losing power intermittently

I know that there has been a lot of fuss about this engine being a bit jumpy in first gear. I've only had this car since March and whilst not perfectly smooth pulling away in first gear, I've found that I could manage well enough providing I gave it enough throttle, gentle on the throttle and it is definitely going to jump a bit. What I hadn't reckoned on was losing power completely. Twice over the last week my car has completely lost power for a few seconds, both times when pulling away in first gear. Once at a roundabout which was fairly alarming, when the car decided to take a bit of a rest just as I entered the roundabout! And again today, whilst waiting to get into my driveway at home, someone let me in and the car just about stopped dead in the middle of the road. I've found a few posts mentioning similar issues on the Karoq forum: 

"There were two aspects to the problem with my Karoq - the kangarooing, and the tendency for the engine to die occasionally when setting off. The latter issue was annoying when, say, crossing a car park but very frightening when pulling out of a junction onto a busy road.

After denials and talk of 'characteristics' etc, then the admission of problems, I was told by Skoda UK on Feb 20th that the software fix would be released in two stages - first for the dying at junctions business (the more serious issue), then for the kangarooing. By the end of March, there was some confusion about whether the 'fix' had been released or not but, after that, I was told by Skoda UK that the latest update would fix both the kangarooing and the dying.

I picked up my 'fixed' Karoq on 10th April; at first it seemed OK, then last weekend, it bounced down the road as badly as ever. I tried it again this morning - and it was fine ...... I just don't know what's going on. I haven't been told which problem(s) the software update was designed to fix, but I will ask at the next opportunity. I'm just wondering if Skoda has reverted to the earlier proposal i.e. to fix the 'dying' first, then sort out the kangarooing with a further update."

Anyone else here experienced anything like this with their Octavia 1.5 petrol engine?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AllanDJ said:

After denials and talk of 'characteristics' etc, then the admission of problems,

Have Skoda managed a genuine admission of the problems with this engine?

If so, I suppose that is some progress.

Why this is not a bigger story is in-itself cause for concern.

Skoda now need to fix this and be seen to have fixed it.

My current car is a 1.4 TSI, the most obvious next candidate would be a 1.5 TSI, I would not consider a car with less torque (1.0) or  DSG (Non- vRS 2.0 TSI is DSG only) so this Octavia might be my last.

Update on this, I contacted the supplying garage, Henrys Skoda of Glasgow this morning and it's booked in for some remedial work on Friday morning, pretty quick response from the garage so full marks for customer service, guessing they don't want me to crash the car because of an inbuilt glitch from Skoda, probably not a good advert for the garage or maker!  Presumably there is some sort of a software update/ revised settings for this engine available which will hopefully sort this issue out once and for all. I have to say that I'm enjoying this car quite a lot, ignoring this issue, it feels much more refined than my earlier 2013 Octavia, much quieter and better suspension.

Interesting information AllanDJ. I have had a 1.5Tsi for 16 months and still have trouble making a smooth pullaway without over-revving the engine. I have experienced the engine dying but assumed that I had stalled the engine (not enough revs) and pushing the clutch down made the start/stop system restart the engine immediately.

When I took my car for first service in January, i complained about the poor pullaway. They denied it was a problem but said that a software fix was due out in the spring. This would be an optional update and I would have to ask them, they would not be telling anyone it was available. I was going to chase Skoda up about the update but now I will wait to read more about your experiences.

Only time will tell how things are going to go.

Hopefully HENRYS Master Techs have all the gear, which they do, but also the Software that will do the trick.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/465281-karoq-software-update-progress-report

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/446820-15-sel-first-gear-issue/?page=78

If the 'faulty and dangerous engine management' is not changed for the better they will need to hold onto the car and provide a courtesy car or Skoda / VW need to.

They can not allow unsafe vehicles to be out on the roads when they know that they are. The Corporate Responsibility with Skoda UK & HENRYS.

Edited by Skoffski

26 minutes ago, SoupDragon said:

They denied it was a problem but said that a software fix was due out in the spring.

I really hope you followed this up with "If it's not a problem; why is there a fix?"

Personally I've only noticed my 1.5 DSG kangerooing when maneuvering around my work's carpark and using a low speed dirt track. Only seems to occur when cold.

I also always have the car in Sport mode and the DSG in S, so maybe there is some link to the low end of the driver's wish map.

Sorry, I misquoted Skoda there, they did not use the word FIX. I did ask them that question. The answer "it's an optional UPGRADE, not a fix" and that means also that they will not be telling anyone when the upgrade is available. I think the problem only affects manual cars. It can be worked around by using a heavy right foot when starting off and slipping the clutch, like a learner. The alternative is pulling away with what you think is the correct amount of gas, and then the engines dies and then kangaroos when you give more gas. Since I have read about dual mass flywheels, I think both starting procedures are damaging the clutch. However, the passengers complain less with the high-rev start. It is also too easy to stall the engine when pulling away.

• Thanks 1

@SoupDragon   The Updated Software / Engine / DSG management is not only for 1.5TSI EVO Manuals.

It is for various vehicles, Manual & DSG and Pre GPF and post GPF.

There are issues that have been finally recognised and attempts at resolving those made by the VW Group.

Obviously all models / versions are not affected, it would be good if VW Group / Skoda were clearer in which are.  To the Dealership Front Desk people and the Owner / Drivers.

Screenshot 2019-04-25 at 11.25.46.png

Screenshot 2019-04-25 at 11.28.11.png

Edited by Skoffski

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.  We have a June 2017  Audi A3 1.5TFSI which I believe is the same engine?  It can give a hicup on the first start of the day on a cold engine, but nothing at all like described above...?

Would Audi be using different software on the same engine, or have we just been lucky...?

Yeah, we have a Seat Ibiza FR manual with the same engine and I have not seen any of the behaviours people report, neither has my wife (whose car it is and who drives it often)

Obviously they do not all do it with 1.5TSI across the different models from VW, AUDI, SEAT and SKODA.

VW Group should know which are liable to though, which series of ECU's with which software from which software provider.

It should be down to the German Authorities and EU Commissioners to get honesty from them.

In the UK that should be the DVSA, but then VW can be 'Little liars' and the Authorities accept those 'errors in facts', or untruths.

Screenshot 2019-05-06 at 1.06.36 PM.png

Edited by Skoffski

Is it me or is the 1.5L tsi a dog of an engine. 

Not knocking owners at all as how could they know the troubles of a new engine.

I’ve now heard about power cuts, stalling kangarooing. You would think these should be fixed by the manufacturer since it appears to be across brands.

OP I hope you get it fixed FOC otherwise I would be going to consumer groups or handing it back.

• Thanks 1

You'd think this would be a reasonably easy software tweak: to make the power delivery more linear. I have a hunch that they are unable to find an algorithm that fixes the issue without negatively affecting the oh-so-important emissions figures, as it probably means using a slightly richer mixture at these low revs/low speeds/low gears.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that Skoda have provided a software update to make starting off with the 1.5 Tsi ACT engine easier and less prone to stalling.

AllanDJhow are you getting along with the software update now?

Has anyone else out there had the updated software installed and what are the results. I am away for a fortnight but when I get back I am going to request the software update but first I will check that the update is reversible.

Like cheezemonkhai I'm it the 'wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, camp with this one, and not hearing much to sway that view.

It could be that I'm not looking in the right place but still think there is something wrong here - this really should be a bigger story outwith a few threads on Briskoda.

This topic makes me nervous. We are awaiting delivery of a new Seat Leon with the 1.5TSI engine in it. It's the wife's car, the 130BHP model, manual. I'm hoping we don't have any issues, as we've waited since February for this car to come! Had no idea of the issues with the 1.5TSI engine.