Towbar Preparation - fitted as option.

I spec'ed towbar prep only on my new car as I didn't want to spend all the money on the complete factory fitted towbar.

It's a lease car, which I'm happy to bolt the metal work on to but thought they might not be massively happy if I start ripping it to pieces to do the electrics :x

So, please can somebody with experience tell me what towbar prep actually is, and where I will find it. Talking to my local dealer prior to ordering was a waste of time. I believe it's the wiring but I don't know to what extent.

Thanks.

Hi Rick.

Thanks for your reply - I'm new here, as you've probably guessed, so I may be missing something but it looks like you've directed me to my own thread? 

17 minutes ago, Paucatuman said:

Hi Rick.

Thanks for your reply - I'm new here, as you've probably guessed, so I may be missing something but it looks like you've directed me to my own thread? 

my fault - updated the link -

Its to the Karoq section - though it details some interesting info addressing the question and highlighting a lot of unknowns ! :)

19 minutes ago, RickTT said:

my fault - updated the link -

Its to the Karoq section - though it details some interesting info addressing the question and highlighting a lot of unknowns ! :)

Thank you, that does make for some interesting reading!  I might drop Skoda a call quoting my VIN number and see what they have to say.

Enjoy the bank holiday weekend.

Without looking at the other thread. Towbar prep on the superb is a bigger alternator and bigger cooling fan.  I assume the pre wiring is also done. Without this you won't get a Skoda dealer to fit a towbar you'll need an independent fitter.  There is a towbar thread as a few of us have had them fitted without the prep.  On a lease it's probably worth specifying so they can't blame you if there is an issue later from towing. 

• Thanks 1

Hi, Ive fitted two Westfalia towbars to both of my mk3 Superbs 2016 sportline 190 4x4, and current 280 L&k. The first did not include the prep and the second did but on this the prep only included the cables in the side of the boot to the fuses at the front. This meant I still required purchasing the full electrical kit for the bypass relay etc. so only saved me the time of running the cable to the front and connecting to the fuse panel.:angry: 

Thanks Martin201, where will I find this 'prep' please, I'm guessing I'll find some cabling, hopefully with some kind of plug on the end, behind the lining in the left hand side of the boot? As is it obvious what is what?

7 hours ago, highflight130 said:

Without looking at the other thread. Towbar prep on the superb is a bigger alternator and bigger cooling fan.  I assume the pre wiring is also done. Without this you won't get a Skoda dealer to fit a towbar you'll need an independent fitter.  There is a towbar thread as a few of us have had them fitted without the prep.  On a lease it's probably worth specifying so they can't blame you if there is an issue later from towing. 

However, the battery, alternator and cooling van on my 2.0tdi 150 with a factory fit towbar is the same as a car without a factory towbar when i compated back in 2016

10 hours ago, Paucatuman said:

Thanks Martin201, where will I find this 'prep' please, I'm guessing I'll find some cabling, hopefully with some kind of plug on the end, behind the lining in the left hand side of the boot? As is it obvious what is what?

Hi Paucatuman, it’s on the left hand side behind the wheel arch on the L&k where the subwoofer is.

27C51675-D412-43C0-9CEE-4FE73F0A30FC.jpeg