I measured mine, want to measure yours?

59 minutes ago, chimaera said:

The correct measurement to take is from the centre of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch. I posted the correct details for your car in this older thread you started on the same topic:

It seems about right for 6 years / 90k miles, so i think its not a spring problem, more the undertrays hanging.... i could hardly get my phone under the engine tray side on (3 inches)

2 hours ago, lichfielddriver said:

My 13 plate Greenline is hitting speed humps so i measured the arches from ground to to highest point of the inner wing arch 

all 4 corners came out at 26"

on 205/55 x 16" tyres of course

My 14 plate 1.4tsi S with 205/55 x 16" tyres on all corners comes in at 26 3/4" - lots of ground clearance re under-trays

Edited by bigjohn

35 minutes ago, lichfielddriver said:

It seems about right for 6 years / 90k miles, so i think its not a spring problem, more the undertrays hanging.... i could hardly get my phone under the engine tray side on (3 inches)

So take it to a mechanic and have them sort it out instead of repeatedly asking the same question here. The undertray should be flush with the bottom of the front bumper.

14 minutes ago, chimaera said:

So take it to a mechanic and have them sort it out instead of repeatedly asking the same question here. The undertray should be flush with the bottom of the front bumper.

so sorry for asking....

good night

33 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

My 14 plate 1.4tsi S with 205/55 x 16" tyres on all corners comes in at 26 3/4" - lots of ground clearance re under-trays

Thank you, that seems 3/4" or so higher than my greenline (reputed to be lowered 15mm at factory)

12 minutes ago, lichfielddriver said:

so sorry for asking....

good night

You've been asking this question here, and getting the same answers, since you bought the car. What are you hoping for that you haven't already been told?

50 minutes ago, lichfielddriver said:

Thank you, that seems 3/4" or so higher than my greenline (reputed to be lowered 15mm at factory)

Even with mine I find the rear can sag when fully laden with people and luggage - this also upsets the rear suspension giving it too much negative camber that can cause rear inner tyre wear. Any air adjustable shocks available? - I fitted a set years ago to my dad's sagging Volvo Estate which where adjustable by an air compressor.

Now if Skoda was to publish the clearance with the vehicle at Revenue weight, or just with a driver and 3 passengers on the way to weight savers and their health drinks everything would be clearer.

Or maybe they could use their adviser Darren Brown and give the clearance that a driver should expect when a vehicle is 6 years old.

47 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Now if Skoda was to publish the clearance with the vehicle at Revenue weight, or just with a driver and 3 passengers on the way to weight savers and their health drinks everything would be clearer.

Or maybe they could use their adviser Darren Brown and give the clearance that a driver should expect when a vehicle is 6 years old.

The table I posted in the other thread linked above is for the vehicle with all fluids, a full fuel tank and a driver. Allowance is +/-10 mm on the nominal value. Beyond that you replace springs and/or dampers.

Edited by chimaera
  • Haha 1

Taxi drivers alone in a car are on the way to a job or leaving one unless delivering a package or a carry out.

Is the 'Official weights' & dimensions not 'unladen' / kerb weight or with a 60kg driver & 3/4 tank of fuel?

When i look at the 'brochure' clearance heights, i then compare the vehicle heights to the roof.

Then you see the difference really on a car, then the undertrays and tyre diameters are making the differences that might be 15 mm clearance but 5 mm difference in height of the cars / estates.

Edited by Skoffski

Those variables are accounted for in the specification. Like any adjustment, it's a specified position about which a calculated variation can occur. If that specified position has gone out of spec, the suspension will be out of spec throughout the rest of its travel no matter the load, so waffling on about 'revenue weights' or how a taxi might actually be loaded is irrelevant.

the coils must dictate the ride height, obviously the lower Greenline is half the problem

Airide anyone?

On 03/06/2019 at 20:51, bigjohn said:

Even with mine I find the rear can sag when fully laden with people and luggage - this also upsets the rear suspension giving it too much negative camber that can cause rear inner tyre wear. Any air adjustable shocks available? - I fitted a set years ago to my dad's sagging Volvo Estate which where adjustable by an air compressor.

or airbags

1 hour ago, lichfielddriver said:

That makes the hump smaller?

No, the rebound will be less so won’t bottom as much. My T5 T32 always scrapes it’s arse if I try to go over the speed bumps too fast, slow down and it doesn’t, didn’t think that needed explaining.....

Edited by 3T1704X4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 3T1704X4 said:

No, the rebound will be less so won’t bottom as much. My T5 T32 always scrapes it’s arse if I try to go over the speed bumps too fast, slow down and it doesn’t, didn’t think that needed explaining.....

No rebound or bouncing involved...explained?

3181EE54-D6B8-4C09-91F0-4D2D1170AFD8.thumb.png.40beafb50b488b7c4766843fc8147da7.pngSomething must be wrong with it then or you need to get the council to adjust the bumps cos mine was fully loaded with camping kit and bike rack and didn’t bottom out over bumps by taking it easy and you won’t get a more overloaded one than this with the Mickey Mouse towbar which is way lower than the removable one now fitted.

• Like 2

How about posting a few photos of the underside to see if something is hanging down lower than normal? Not trying to **** you off, just trying to help as best as possible. Do you have mudflaps fitted? They would deffo make a noise if it was too low.

Or get an A6 Allroad, you can adjust front and back to preset ride heights, and even when the car is overloaded, it looks ok as it levels itself out. Mine was one of the last 55 plate 2.7 Bi Turbos, but ridiculous on fuel and getting old so it had to go.

This photo shows similar load and looks dead level.

Allroad2.jpg

Allroad.jpg

Edited by FlyingSpanner

On 05/06/2019 at 21:51, FlyingSpanner said:

How about posting a few photos of the underside to see if something is hanging down lower than normal? Not trying to **** you off, just trying to help as best as possible. Do you have mudflaps fitted? They would deffo make a noise if it was too low.

Or get an A6 Allroad, you can adjust front and back to preset ride heights, and even when the car is overloaded, it looks ok as it levels itself out. Mine was one of the last 55 plate 2.7 Bi Turbos, but ridiculous on fuel and getting old so it had to go.

This photo shows similar load and looks dead level.

Allroad2.jpg

Allroad.jpg

or fit air suspension all round