Check Oil Level Warning Query

jonboyuk

Hey all. I've recently-ish acquired a Karoq (Dec 2018) and put about 8000 miles on the clock. Yesterday, I got an oil warning saying that I needed to check the oil level. After testing it, it seems okay (see photos). Am I missing something? I've checked the oil on a relatively flat surface when the car is cold.

Also, I can't remember the *exact* message but it was something about checking the oil level (and it wasn't about pressure). Obviously now I've popped the boot, the message will be gone for the next 100km, but I'm driving 400 miles next week and I want to make sure it's okay. Any ideas?

Question.thumb.jpg.021f3ad489a2f4afdb8461ed5b9c6671.jpg

So be sure it is showing what it is with a cold dip, 

then do what the Owners Manual Normally says, Sometimes lost in Translation as 'Warm' or Normal Operating Temperature.

The Engine should be at Normal Operating Temperature, so at least above 80*oC indicated so that would be well over 5 miles of driving not sitting ticking over.

Parked on the flat, wait a few minutes, Few is less than 5 minutes, otherwise surely VW would say what a few is.

So it is all a nonsense as drivers need to know there is enough oil in before driving off.

Do you cold check and then drive 5 or 6 miles and try an oil dip.

Screenshot 2019-08-02 at 19.30.50.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

Your 1.5TSI EVO left the Factory with VW508/509.  But using VW504/507 is OK.  But then you never know what it was topped up with so far or was a oil change done.

?

Who had the car before you?

Just spotted that this Karoq Owners Manual refers to 'If no DPF' and 505.01.     Then 507 for diesels.   (Latest is 509 actually.  VW 508/509 0w 20 FS IV)

VW / Skoda a pathetic really and Owners Manuals are.   Almost the same for so long and easily misunderstood,  then the 0.5 l 1,000 km crap.

No wonder people miss with the latest diesels the VW 508/509.

Screenshot 2019-08-02 at 11.41.13.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

Yea well I'm confused! I've always done my oil checks from cold. I know it can change when it's hot, but not to the point where it would be right out of whack on the gauge?

I've just checked it again cold and it's definitely appears full. I'll do a 5 min drive and try it again!

Just in case, I bought this, but if it appears still pretty much full after a drive I don't want to overfill it....

Capture.JPG.54a918747aaefca4cb9304964433089c.JPG

• Like 1

Not a 5 minute drive, that will not have the oil above 50*oC will it.

But never mind, The dip sticks are crap.

It is the recommended oil, 

but then so is what Skoda / VW started using to get WLTP Approval & RDE results.

VW Engines for a decade have all been check at operating temperature other than 1.2 44kw engines with 2.8 oil capacity that are check cold.

Screenshot 2019-08-02 at 11.41.13.png

Screenshot 2019-08-02 at 19.54.11.png

Screenshot 2019-08-02 at 19.53.08.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

That's fine - I took it out for half an hour down a ring road! Anyway, got back home. Turned car off, waited 2 mins, checked and it and it looked like this, very close to the bottom.

image.png.ca05100be16f2f381885b6232f25c222.png

I decided to wait a couple of more minutes as I figured the oil may not have finished flowing back into the trough. This time however, the oil was about 65% of it's way back up the dipstick (i.e. within a normal range).

Not sure what to do now, short of making myself look like an idiot at a dealership....

The Oil is too low then hence the low oil warning message you had.

Dip it stone cold in the morning and the oil will all be in the sump and the level should be above the cross hatch & in Area 'A'.

You only need the dealership unless you want an oil and filter change.  Oil out and see how much is in and then a known quantity back in.

?

Where was the oil 8,000 miles ago when you got the car and how often have you checked since or topped up, and how much of a top up?

?

How many miles has it done since new?

Edited by Roottootemoot

Looking at levels on the dipstick, hot and cold suggests topping up, doesn’t need much, probably 0.1 - 0.15 litre.   Just buy a small half litre bottle and put about quarter of bottle, should avoid any low oil warnings.

Without knowing which engine you have, the cars total mileage, can’t advise on when to do oil change.

If this is first time you have topped up oil, don’t worry, but if you have had to top up before, then needs further investigation to understand why it is using oil.

I bought it from new so I've done all 8700+ miles. I have checked occasionally, but only when cold (my mistake, clearly!). 3 questions!

1. My car is the 1.5 TSI SEL DSG, 8700 miles and it says it needs an oil change in around 500 miles. That said, I've only had it since December, and thought that 8 months in is a little premature for my first service (which I've paid for upfront)?

2. Stupidly I've bought a 4L Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL! That said it works for my Fabia too so I'm sure I can hold on to it. Stupid question - does oil have a life expectancy or can I just keep it for years to top up my 2 Skodas?

3. Also, since I've been doing oil wrong all these years, I presume the best time to fill up is only when I've just turned off the engine (give or take 3/4 mins after switch off)? I'm guessing if I fill it up under these circumstances, if I then check the oil when it's cold, it will be waaaay over the top of the dipstick gauge? Given that when it's cold at the moment, it appears full.
Edited by jonboyuk

Jonboyuk a bit confused as your car should be set to variable servicing from the factory so the dealer must have changed this to one year fixed which is usually 9,400 mile intervals. I would ask the dealer to switch it back to factory setting if that suits you better. For comparison our Karoq 1.5TSi manual is 18 months old never been serviced yet and has done 17,676 miles and onboard computer is predicting first service at 18,700 miles. We have 2 free services sold with our car in Jan 2018.:)

29 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Jonboyuk a bit confused as your car should be set to variable servicing from the factory so the dealer must have changed this to one year fixed which is usually 9,400 mile intervals. I would ask the dealer to switch it back to factory setting if that suits you better. For comparison our Karoq 1.5TSi manual is 18 months old never been serviced yet and has done 17,676 miles and onboard computer is predicting first service at 18,700 miles. We have 2 free services sold with our car in Jan 2018.:)

I'm as confused as you! Here's a photo. I'm not sure what's most suitable, but I have the car on a 4 year PCP with 2 'free' services. At this rate, I will have used both within 16 months 😞 Does it have anything to do with the terms of my PCP?

Capture.JPG.27af87319d3a55da779d591fa2159324.JPG

• Like 1

@jonboyuk

Your car left the factory with long life oil, VW508/509 0w 20 FS IV,    At the PDI the Variable / Flexible servicing has been changed to Fixed servicing without you being asked.

They had no right to do that.

Your Long Life VW504 / 507 5w 30 FS III is OK to use.   

If the dealership did change your service interval without asking i would be asking politely then telling them if needs must that they can do a free oil and filter change for being cheeky barstewards.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

Edited by Roottootemoot

1 minute ago, Roottootemoot said:

@jonboyuk

Your car left the factory with long life oil, VW508/509 0w 20 FS IV,    At the PDI the Variable / Flexible servicing has been changed to Fixed servicing without you being asked.

They had no right to do that.

Your Long Life VW504 / 507 5w 30 FS III is OK to use.   

If the dealership did change your service interval without asking i would be assking politely then telling them if needs must that they can do a free oil and filter change for being cheeky barstewards.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

I was never asked what type of servicing I wanted. But between my wife and I we do long drives, often daily motorway, and reach about 200 miles a week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jonboyuk said:

I was never asked what type of servicing I wanted. But between my wife and I we do long drives, often daily motorway, and reach about 200 miles a week.

How many miles per year did you agree to on the 4 year PCP? That may affect when your needs its 2 free services.:thinking:

• Like 1

@jonboyuk

'They' are likely to say.    We will reset the Service Indicator for another 9,400 miles.

I would say and do say,  On your bike.   Keep the Service History, You do a service free now and set for my first service from my plan for Fixed, 9,400 miles / 372 days on, 

then it can go back to Variable.

They take the Michael.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

They might say that you can not have a service @ 18,000-20,000 miles then another @ 36,000 - 40,000 miles. 

Ask them where the 2 free service deal says that.

Does it say Fixed Servicing and Interim & major service,?

This is what it says. The PCP agreement is set to 12,000 miles a year @shyVRS245

image.thumb.png.f41853ca4b2b243af88578ef105b7abf.png

Edited by jonboyuk
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

Minor service can be done at around 18,000 miles and the major at 36,000 miles just before the first MOT and while still under warranty and covered by the terms of your PCP agreement.:thumbup:

So what do I need to do here? Contact my dealer and say that I want my car set to this (circled below)? Also, given that we've taken 12,000 miles on the PCP it should have been set to this anyway and that I'm annoyed that I've had to do this etc etc? 

image.png.e180725b8263d13766dabb93a83e6e10.png

So them saying 1 minor and one major is about Fixed Service Intervals.

But a new car service at 1 year is just a Oil & Filter service with no other parts.  Was call Minor now called Interim. 

So a Minor would be oil / filter and no pollen filter that is at 2 years. 

If you get a service at 18,500 and at 36,000 miles they are still only doing 2 oil and filter services, 1 pollen filter, maybe a Air Filter,

lots of looking and seeing and no extra parts.

This is the Fixed Price Servicing for car 3-10 year old on 'Fixed Servicing'.

Screenshot 2019-08-03 at 12.13.34.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

So are you saying I need to take it in for an oil service at 9,400? Oil and literally nothing else (which I have to pay for?) which is an interim service. Then I can claim my free minor service at 18,500?

PS sorry if I'm being a bit thick here, this is different to my usual car regime!

Edited by jonboyuk

If it was my car I would go to the supplying dealer tell them you didn't want fixed servicing due to the miles you cover and get them to reset the computer for oil service in another 10,000 miles. That way you are back on variable servicing which you should have been on since you picked up the car last December. As George has stated the dealer is being very cheeky and just trying to get you to pay for more services which your car does not require.;)

• Like 1

@jonboyuk

The Service indicator could just be rest for another 9,400 miles / 372 days as some Dealerships do because they messed up.

Others say they can not do that.

Actually they should not.  They should be hit in the pocket for being chancers and BLADE can do a free gratis service.

Talk with the Service Manager, talk with the Dealer Principal, a

nd ask WTF were you playing at? 'We are high annual mileage drivers.

• Like 1

Okay so after a 20 min call with Skoda, here's the dealio.

Under the PCP agreement they offer a "Fixed price service plan" only (as per my letter above). The guy said they can change the car to Flexible, but then I can only use the major service of the plan (thereby missing out on my minor as it's not necessary on a flexible plan).

He suggested just taking the minor now, then the major in another 9K, then they can switch the car to flexible after that.

Does that sound fair?

• Like 2

No you were mis-sold by not being asked about Annual Mileage by their employees.

He would suggest that.....  Not if his money though.

It will not really be a Major next time unless you say.  I want a Pollen Filter Changed, New Air Filter Fitted and New Spark Plugs.

If you can not be bothered arguing then tell them at the Dealership to do some Customer Service and see you right and not out of pocket,

or let them reset the Service Indicator and the next service will be the Major and 9,400 miles later they can do the Minor.

Edited by Roottootemoot