Snorkel for Skoda Kodiaq

I am looking for Snorkel for my kodiaq car. Recently Skoda Academy students have made MOUNTIAQ (Concept) and I am looking for this kind of snorkel.

If anyone here can make and supply me, I would be delighted to make one. 

I am attaching photos also. 

mountiaq-01.ed1ad85a6956f44a1e48567c3337618f.fit-1450x760.jpg

mountiaq-detail-06.1615233206eba84f0faf2eed680c9e18.fit-1450x760.jpg

mountiaq-detail-07.d1d2043c88ce514fe141312308a2bf08.fit-1450x760.jpg

@Hardy2890  Welcome.

If you have the skills to waterproof the rest of the Kodiaq for wading then there are plenty snorkels for other vehicles you could adapt to fit neatly to your car.

Go to some Offroad Equipment supplier that has stock and see what goes well on the car, maybe with it going through the outer and inner wings.

Not going to be hard to have one on and less vulnerable than that one.

Screenshot 2019-08-31 at 13.14.53.png

Screenshot 2019-08-31 at 13.15.52.png

Equivalent to crossing a Ford or a puddle so are you going deeper?

An Offroading Masterclass from an expert obviously!

Edited by Roottootemoot

I noticed while checking something in the manual the other day that the maximum recommended depth for water is only up to the lower sill... so a snorkel might be a bit of overkill?

• Like 3

On 02/09/2019 at 13:30, silver1011 said:

image.png.515b7e71771459162c2a1bb18178c66e.png

image.png.96593614df6fabdb604bb5b7f160fc9e.png

Does make a snorkel pointless 😀

As George said you need to prepare the rest of the car too including breathers, electrics as well as making sure the cabin seals are up to the job wh h has never been a strong point for Skoda. 

Having said that I would be interested to see how the OP gets on with wading to the depths were a snorkel is required. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Does well enough 

Obviously doesn’t know how to drive a car with Haldex though. If they had kept the power on the back wheel would be braked and power transferred to other wheel. Reving and lifting off achieves nothing, you need to keep the power on an let the electronics do their thing.

Edited by Kenny R

1 hour ago, CWARD said:

...as well as making sure the cabin seals are up to the job which has never been a strong point for Skoda. 

The MkII Octavia door and boot seals couldn't even keep out rain water :D

5 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

The MkII Octavia door and boot seals couldn't even keep out rain water :D

I found that out the hard way. Going to need a lot of dehumidifier bags and maybe a bucket or two in the car if considering playing in deep water. 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I found out the worst way possible...

TDI DSG

The depth was surveyed to be about 1.5 Ft max , i was expecting 3/4th of the tire to be submerged,  and cruise through.

The shaft which developed ahead of the bumper was seen over the hood once in a while , at the deepest point the DSG decided to engage the 2nd gear ,revs went from about 2k to a 1000, bam.... and the engine stalled.

we had to push the car out , bucketed out the water , and damage assessment started , 

The first effort was made about 2 hours after , the engine did not crank , just the CLICK sound from some relay some where , under hood , on inspection I found water in the GLOW PLUG cavities , used an air compressor to blow dry the cavities ,  NO LUCK 

I opened the Air filter awaiting a horror story but to my surprise it was all good , clean and dry

A fellow decided to help us and towed us for about 50Odd clicks (The power steering seemed to be working as long as the tires were moving, i always taught its PURELY engine based)

Some where during the Tow I decided to crank , and we had POWER , i let the engine heat up , and bang , we had juice , 

Damage assessment , 

The water that entered the passenger compartment blew the AIRBAG module (Just ahead,below of the gear stick , ) Also blew the Communication BUS , right next to the AIRBAG Module

and blew the Amp , under the Passenger seat

Retrospect : - 

Max Water wading depth - Half the Tire

While water wading - Use Triptronic and stick to the First gear+ High RPM

The pressure vents (let the air pressure out when closing the doors) are in the lower side part of the rear bumper.  They're not water tight.  I have verified this experimentally (but unintentionally) :)

Black arrow in this post-experiment picture.

The same experiment revealed that the genuine Skoda tow kit REMOVES the ability to screw in the rear recovery eye and that the electric tow bar will not descend when the controller (black box mounted to the floor near that black arrow) is full of muddy water.

a.thumb.jpg.9a958c59e78db1542983f5f85a8c7359.jpg

b.jpg

1 hour ago, wokwon said:

the electric tow bar will not descend when the controller (black box mounted to the floor near that black arrow) is full of muddy water.

Or, as we would say in Scotland, when the controller is jiggered!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, anirudhashish said:

The shaft which developed ahead of the bumper was seen over the hood once in a while...

By shaft I'm guessing you mean bow wave?

If you have water washing up onto the bonnet then that suggests that the full front end of the car is under water, including all air intakes?

A sign you're either going too fast or are in too deep.

Skoda do warn owners in the manual that the Kodiaq is in no way an off-road vehicle 😂

Glad you got away with minimal / no engine damage.

4 hours ago, wokwon said:

The pressure vents (let the air pressure out when closing the doors) are in the lower side part of the rear bumper.  They're not water tight.  I have verified this experimentally (but unintentionally) :)

a.thumb.jpg.9a958c59e78db1542983f5f85a8c7359.jpg

Is that a muddy tide mark on the rear wheel arch? Is that how deep the water was inside the interior, throughout the car!? 😮

That must have taken quite some effort to clean and dry out!

I too have gotther factory fitted towbar, and had forgotten the mention in the manual that the rear towing eye receptacle is no longer useable.

However, not being able to lower the tow bar due to the failed controller must have been a real kick in the nuts at the time!

image.png.47ba58bd4f512da2fa9a23f03fd98071.png

14 hours ago, silver1011 said:

By shaft I'm guessing you mean bow wave?

Bow wave is exactly what I meant until I read this , any how 

image.png.e3b661831c17c1ee767b3833d9d8f8d4.png

The pressure vents from the image explain why I had the spare wheel and the woofer their in a puddle , The water level was never that high , but the vents enable the spare wheel cavity to tank up

• Like 1

VW Group Owners manuals are risky things, the translation from German to Czech or Spanish to English or American English is hopeless.

No idea what like to Chinese.

What did the Owners Manual say about towing a vehicle with a DSG.

& for towing a car with Haldex does it not say at a maximum of 30 miles (48 km) @ 30 MPH (48 kph) ?

Edited by Roottootemoot

Manufacturers have been saying much the same for decades with automatics and AWD's / 4x4's.

Because of that Recovery / Breakdown services and operators say the same IME and the vehicle has to go on a Flat Bed or Trailer, or if on a Dolly the prop shaft to the rear gets taken off.

On 28/12/2019 at 00:01, silver1011 said:

Is that a muddy tide mark on the rear wheel arch? Is that how deep the water was inside the interior, throughout the car!? 😮

Nuh, that was the high point of the slosh marks when the car was pulled out and moved around to level again. The actual water level was quite a bit lower.  Unfortunately it was bum down in the water (diagonally), so when it was returned to level all the lovely water in the boot ran forwards to the front of the car. It also wicked a fair way up the carpets and lining (including door cards which have some carpet-underlay-stuff on the back-sides.

Car was written off due to uneconomic repairs.

• Sad 1