Superb iV

On 12/12/2019 at 09:10, shyVRS245 said:

average economy is 188MPG

No, no it isn't. Please don't be fooled by this bull**** it will NEVER reach this figure unless you only ever drive it less than 30miles on pure electric

My friend had a Golf GTE which was perfect for him as he lives a few miles from the office. Any further and it'd revert to a ICE again with shoddy mpg figures.

A Superb 280 4x4 would be a much better choice 😂

Edited by drewellis

1 minute ago, drewellis said:

No, no it isn't. Please don't be fooled by this bull**** it will NEVER reach this figure unless you only ever drive it less than 30miles on pure electric

My friend had a Golf GTE which was perfect for him as he lives a few miles from the office. Any further and it'd revert to a ICE again with shoddy mpg figures.

I was joking. BMW claim a 330e can travel between 25-30 miles on the electricity stored in its small battery pack however when a car magazine tested this they set off fully charged it only managed 18 miles on EV power and most owners average 44mpg rather than the official 148mpg. We know why manufacturers are falling over themselves to launch hybrids to get models below the 2020 EU target of 95gm/km co2. Officially the BMW 330e emits 44gm/km of co2 however in the real world it is more like 137gm/km of co2 (based on 44mpg).

6 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

I was joking. BMW claim a 330e can travel between 25-30 miles on the electricity stored in its small battery pack however when a car magazine tested this they set off fully charged it only managed 18 miles on EV power and most owners average 44mpg rather than the official 148mpg. We know why manufacturers are falling over themselves to launch hybrids to get models below the 2020 EU target of 95gm/km co2. Officially the BMW 330e emits 44gm/km of co2 however in the real world it is more like 137gm/km of co2 (based on 44mpg).

It's scandalous really isn't it......my Dad has had Mercs for years, he has just ordered a new E Class but was almost tempted by this hybrid B Class thing as they don't go far now and are in their 70s.

Luckily I was there to talk him out of it, like you say they have only made it to bring the emissions down over the whole range 👎

• Like 1

I'm guessing this is going to be a common question but I don't think it has been asked on another thread yet so I will ask it here.

A / Does anyone know the real world mpg once you have run out of battery juice?

B / What is the approx cost of charging over night?

My current lease Superb is up at the end of June. I can either buy it, lease another the same or get the hybrid. I know the running costs of the diesel but the hybrid is still mysterious. As has already been alluded to in this thread the official figures are gibberish but I can not find real world ones yet.

My journey to and from work is 28 miles so I will get most, if not all, of those trips on electric only. At what cost though?

My other journeys are 400 mile round trip and soon to be 200 mile round trips. I will start these journeys fully charged but once used up I am unlikely to get charged at the other end and I will only be getting a 15 minute boost at service stations, assuming there is a charger free. I may well be doing the bulk of the trip using the petrol engine only and want to understand what the figures will be. Total average mileage is 20k per year.

I like the concept of going hybrid but finances inevitable come into it.

Edited by LordTyrion
spelling mistake

2 minutes ago, LordTyrion said:

I'm guessing this is goning to be a common question but I don't think it has been asked on another thread yet so I will ask it here.

A / Does anyone know the real world mpg once you have run out of battery juice?

B / What is the approx cost of charging over night?

My current lease Superb is up at the end of June. I can either buy it, lease another the same or get the hybrid. I know the running costs of the diesel but the hybrid is still mysterious. As has already been alluded to in this thread the official figures are gibberish but I can not find real world ones yet.

My journey to and from work is 28 miles so I will get most, if not all, of those trips on electric only. At what cost though?

My other journeys are 400 mile round trip and soon to be 200 mile round trips. I will start these journeys fully charged but once used up I am unlikely to get charged at the other end and I will only be getting a 15 minute boost at service stations, assuming there is a charger free. I may well be doing the bulk of the trip using the petrol engine only and want to understand what the figures will be. Total average mileage is 20k per year.

I like the concept of going hybrid but finances inevitable come into it.

If you can't charge it at work then I would stick with diesel considering the longer journeys you have to make plus your annual mileage. I know hybrids seem very attractive saving considerably in company car monthly payments to the tax man however it is worth noting the hybrid has a much smaller fuel tank than a standard Superb so you might be surprised how little the range is. My 2016 Superb 1.4TSi with a 66 litre fuel tank regularly did 700+ miles per tank and once managed 800 miles so no range anxiety.

4 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

If you can't charge it at work then I would stick with diesel considering the longer journeys you have to make plus your annual mileage. I know hybrids seem very attractive saving considerably in company car monthly payments to the tax man however it is worth noting the hybrid has a much smaller fuel tank than a standard Superb so you might be surprised how little the range is. My 2016 Superb 1.4TSi with a 66 litre fuel tank regularly did 700+ miles per tank and once managed 800 miles so no range anxiety.

I'm thinking the same at the moment but I want to give the tech a chance if I can. I get an average of 52-55mpg from my 2.0d dsg, with no range anxiety, it really is a great car. I had not picked up on the fuel tank size, thanks for pointing that out.

The lease price for the hybrid is quite high but the bik is low. The diesel is the opposite. It is my company so the overall cost matters, it is not something that someone else is going to be paying part of.

Quick cal re electricity cost to charge from from flat.

14.37 p per kWh ( average uk cost according to Google)

13kWh battery.

Around 12% charging losses ( not sure on this but found a paper that suggested this- good read in fact (I'm a geek really)) so assuming the charger cuts off when full its about 14.37p/kWh x 14.8kWh. So £2.12. 

But- no idea how this translates to how many actual miles that can be travelled?? The literature says 35 miles of battery range - cue flying pigs.

How far can you drive in 1.7 litres of fuel (equivalent cost)  at 40mpg its around 15 miles.  

Happy to have guesstimates ridiculed and shown wrong. It seems surprisingly less a good deal than I thought. 

• Like 2

We like many folk these days use a smart meter linked to our electricity usage so no more meter readings. It also tells you daily, weekly and monthly usage costs and just checked the last 3 days to compare to the overnight charging of the hybrid Superb.

27/01/2020 £0.81

28/01/2020 £0.79

29/01/2020 £0.84

We live in a modern well insulated 8 year old 4 bedroom house.:speechless:

• Like 1

Last place I worked one of the salesman had the mitsubishi PHEV, living only four miles from work he used electric only.  It wasn't a company car.

The downside for him was that on long trips the economy suffered because it remained an SUV which was extra heavy due to the battery.

In his position I would have cycled to work, I actually lived 2 miles from the office and walked!   I will stick to the diesels for now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IJWS15 said:

Last place I worked one of the salesman had the mitsubishi PHEV, living only four miles from work he used electric only.  It wasn't a company car.

The downside for him was that on long trips the economy suffered because it remained an SUV which was extra heavy due to the battery.

In his position I would have cycled to work, I actually lived 2 miles from the office and walked!   I will stick to the diesels for now.

A friend of mine had this car. He was very excited when it first arrived but after a couple of months he virtually gave up on it and ran it on petrol only. He did a good number of long journeys and the economy was poor due to the weight and size of the car, as you have said. He accepts he bought into the blurb too much and did not get past the smokescreens. I'd like to think the Superb version is better as it is not a brick and they have been able to learn from the Passat. I'm suspecting it is still too early to go across to it though for my journey distances. Ah well, maybe next time around.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone interested in purchasing the new Skoda Superb iV SEL Estate should read Auto Express twin road test this week in issue 1613 where they compare it to the car it's mainly based upon the VW Passat Estate GTE. Skoda tested is £36,035 and the VW £38,310 and they sum up the cars as very similar but the Superb is better equipped (no surprise there) and cheaper to buy and company car drivers will love it.

Skoda Superb 0-60mph on test 7.1 seconds average on test 72.2mpg, road tax £135.

VW Passat GTE 0-60mph on test 7.0 seconds average on test 67.8mpg, road tax £135.

Edited by shyVRS245
missing word
  • Like 1

?

Does a 1.4 TSI engined car the weight of a Superb plus Power pack actually do that 0-60 with no power left in the power pack.  

?

Why do they quote 0-60 mph and not 0-62 mph / 100 kmph ?

Have they managed to actually get a Superb 1.4 TSI Hybrid to be as quick or quicker than a 5 year old Golf GTE 1.4 TSI Hybrid.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

17 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Anyone interested in purchasing the new Skoda Superb iV SEL Estate should read Auto Express twin road test this week in issue 1613 where they compare it to the car it's mainly based upon the VW Passat Estate GTE. Skoda tested is £36,035 and the VW £38,310 and they sum up the cars as very similar but the Superb is better equipped (no surprise there) and cheaper to buy and company car drivers will love it.

Skoda Superb 0-60mph on test 7.1 seconds average on test 72.2mpg, road tax £135.

VW Passat GTE 0-60mph on test 7.0 seconds average on test 67.8mpg, road tax £135.

Did they mention the leccy range? 

I reckon the petrol only economy won't be far off a 1.4tsi since you get a bit of recuperation when braking and the hybrid system let's the engine be off far longer if you are at standstill. 

Steady state speed economy will of course be at best the same.

The economy will be that of a heavier 1.4 TSI 150 ps Superb if no battery available.

The real Co2 g/km on Petrol is going to really be more than a non hybrid model if there is no charge in the battery.

That is the con that the Governments allow to continue to go on and that the UK HMRC is backing.

20 minutes ago, KeteCantek said:

Did they mention the leccy range? 

I reckon the petrol only economy won't be far off a 1.4tsi since you get a bit of recuperation when braking and the hybrid system let's the engine be off far longer if you are at standstill. 

Steady state speed economy will of course be at best the same.

They said 34 miles but not sure whether that is what Skoda claim and whether they managed it for themselves. But they did say if you have a 17-20 mile commute and can charge at work you will use very little petrol.

On 31/01/2020 at 00:27, shyVRS245 said:

We like many folk these days use a smart meter linked to our electricity usage so no more meter readings. It also tells you daily, weekly and monthly usage costs and just checked the last 3 days to compare to the overnight charging of the hybrid Superb.

27/01/2020 £0.81

28/01/2020 £0.79

29/01/2020 £0.84

We live in a modern well insulated 8 year old 4 bedroom house.:speechless:

How much was overnight usage before you were charging the car, i.e. how much is it actually costing just to charge the car?

Are you charging from empty each time?

How much is your electricity tarrif?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, budster said:

How much was overnight usage before you were charging the car, i.e. how much is it actually costing just to charge the car?

Are you charging from empty each time?

How much is your electricity tarrif?

Thanks!

We have 2 turbo charged petrol cars I don't do electric or hybrid motoring.

On 12/02/2020 at 12:05, shyVRS245 said:

Thanks for this shyVRS245.  It's now up on the Auto Express website https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/superb/109181/skoda-superb-iv-vs-volkswagen-passat-gte

This was the comparison i was making for my next company car, although the lease prices for the Passat GTE Estate were too high for me, so the decision wasn't hard to make in the end and I have the Superb iV Estate on order.  However, when you look at the price and compare the cars together, the Superb does make more sense, more kit, bigger car, lower BIK etc.  A couple of work colleagues are in the process of ordering Superb iV SE Tech estates as well, so with an even lower P11D, making it a very good company option for the driver.

With regards a couple of other points mentioned, i would suggest range would be ~25-30 miles on electric only and as Harzai45 has already seen 50km/~30 miles, this is encouraging.  With regards charging costs, even through the battery has a gross  capacity of 13 kWh, not all of that will be available to use, like other PHEVs around 20% will be reserved, so you have a net available battery of 10.4kWh (https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-kits/skoda-citigoᵉ-iv-skoda-superb-iv-press-kit/skoda-superb-iv-a-flagship-model-for-two-worlds/) so charging from empty I expect will be (roughly) in the region of £1.40-£1.50 to charge, (depending upon your £/kWh with you utility provider and home electrics). 

When battery is flat, mpg in the 38-40mpg region should be achievable, possibly more depending on journey/driving style as the iV esatate has a WLTP combined sustained (test when battery is flat) of 43mpg according to the Superb configurator, go to the iV engine (will need SE Tech or above spec) and click the details to see the WLTP economy.  I'll be able to confirm when mine arrives in May.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine (Superb iV since 1 week now, around 500 miles driven already.

Works pretty well, driving 70% on EV. FWIW, 4.4L/100kms and 14 kWh/100kms as a consumption.

Just three issues :

- looks like the 4G SIM card wasn't working on the first 3 days. Now, it's fixed.

- can't see any map on the Virtual Cockpit, just the compass. After discussing with the Skoda Customers Support,  looks like *possibly* some problem due to a non-working plug

- my ACC is not predictive (while it should). Possibly some option that is missing

I have a appointment in the closest car garage for April 15th for the 2 above issues. Will tell you whether it will fix them.

(Also, will provide you some pictures tomorrow if I have time)

• Like 1