After Oil change servicing my car Chokes,shakes and make some strange noise when starting for the first time.

I had my interim oil change servicing after 11k of Major servicing. So,when i started the car following morning it was shaky,struggle to start and was choking. Throughout the whole day there was no problem other than unusual engine noise,but if it is left for 24hours it behaves the same. It never happened to my car before. Today  i checked the engine oil and it looks very plain and clear brown to me which is normally used for petrol car.

Servicing was done in Skoda dealer though. 

Could somebody advise me please. Its really freaking me out.IMG_20190915_122341.thumb.jpg.d26c9c7fa4ad8d622b17bd0d6ac407ef.jpg

IMG_20190915_122311.jpg

What else was done other than Oil & Filter then, have they done a Software Update, did they tell you, did you ask?

?

What oil is on the invoice.  VW 504 / 507  5w 30 FS III.

That is used in Petrols TSI's and TDI's.  Same oil for Long Service TSI's and must be used in TDI's, Fixed or Variable Servicing.

Unless newer and getting VW 508 / 509, so 0w 20 FS IV

?

Where was the oil level when cold when you collected the car, and if you did not where is it now when cold.

Where is the oil when at 'Operating Temp', so that is at least over 80*oC indicated, or 90*oC. 

How the Oil level check should be done and parked on the flat?

Edited by Roottootemoot

Only two rear windows switchws were replaced along with oil change services. 

I didnt ask for software update and also dont know whether they did it or not, but i believe they didnt.

I didnt check oil level or operating temp.

but i can check it now..

But do you think this oil looks like diesel cars oil.

Oil temp raises and level is ok..but i hear the knocking sounds.

Edited by automass

What kind of noise is the engine noise?

Total stab in the dark but it sounds like maybe more of an issue at the air filter side. Dont be surprised if an apprentice has had it out to check it and somethings gone wrong when its fitted back in.

@automass

They all look like diesel oils. diesel oil does not look different.

The Oil main dealers use is the same if a TSI or a TDI, VW 504 / 507.   The 507 is the spec the diesel / TDI needs.

Sometimes within a few miles a TDI's oil can look black, as before the oil change, yours happens to still be clean.

Check the Invoice. Ask at the Dealership.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Saints92 said:

Total stab in the dark but it sounds like maybe more of an issue at the air filter side. Dont be surprised if an apprentice has had it out to check it and somethings gone wrong when its fitted back in.

its kind of knocking sound, coming from engine side when pressing on Accelerator. nothing wrong with air filter. it was changed 3months ago and still I did open it up and gave a good clean to that compartment. 

7 hours ago, Saints92 said:

But I have never seen such brown colour of diesel car's engine oil. I had last service on April'19 and that engine oil was also blak-ish. couldn't find what oil they used from the invoice. 

Invoice.jpg

11 minutes ago, automass said:

its kind of knocking sound, coming from engine side when pressing on Accelerator. nothing wrong with air filter. it was changed 3months ago and still I did open it up and gave a good clean to that compartment. 

I'd be getting it straight back to whoever serviced it as quickly as you could if the engine itself is knocking after an oil service.

The oil goes in golden and gets dirty / black.

But something wrong that the oil is not priced at £12 a litre or so.  Very 'Much cheapness'.    Supermarket 4-5 litre price.

Call tomorrow. Find out WTF.     £23.37 and is the Cleaner 'Engine Flush'  @£4.72

Screenshot 2019-09-15 at 20.48.24.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

Spoke to the Skoda and they said they would imagine it was 5w30 and brand was Quantum..so it was Quantum 5w30 engine oil.

2years ago i bought Total Quartz Ineo 5w30 for my 63plate octavia..oil looked very dark to me. 

Is Diesel car's oil not different than Petrol car? mileage of my car is 102000 btw.

Edited by automass

I am not too sure. But car was driven 15minutes now and parked in a level place. I'll take the proper measurement and will upload the picture. btw, this morning again car was choking and engine was making knocking sound. I was afraid car was gonna stop, but it didn't..it was jumpy and shaky at the beginning around 200meters. then it came back to normal operation..VERY UNUSUAL.

Edited: it looks like oil is bit too much. I mean more than the mark.

IMG_20190916_120457.jpg

Edited by automass
  • Like 1

Unbelievable, the car is not even starting this morning.. I did three attempts..it judders and failed to start..waiting for Emergency assist. I will take it to stupid Skoda straightaway..thats why i dont like main dealer..they are money sucking bloody people,pretend to be jack of all trade.

Wish me luck that car hasnt got any major damage in it.

• Thanks 1

Was going to ask for an update.

Find out what the story was with the very cheap oil please.     Do they show it cheap for some people and double for others?

I do not understand what someone 'imagining what was used' means really and what was used.

Edited by Roottootemoot

I got the guy calling back from skoda saying that it was carbon built up in injectors..and its a known issue..so,what they did is,they added some additives. I used same Skoda 50k miles with my previous car and never had this problem. This is very coincidence.

Are you guys convinced with it and also he said Quantaum oil is skoda recommended and it comes from skoda.   

Now i understand, a dealership employee not 'Skoda'.  Different things.

I hope that was VW's additive then, as Skoda advises not to use additives.

(Doh my bad VW G17 additive is for petrols only.)

Not convinced on anything you are being told by whoever. 

is the Additive on the Invoice, is that the cleaner rather than Windscreen wash?

???

Or was it added 'Free Gratis' out of the good in their hearts?

Deja vu.   but.   The Oil used is or should VW504 /507 used in TSI's and TDI's.  Same oil, same container of pump in the workshop, same colour when poured. 

TDI needs the VW507 spec but that is VW504 as well.

Edited by Roottootemoot

On 15/09/2019 at 20:51, Roottootemoot said:

The oil goes in golden and gets dirty / black.

But something wrong that the oil is not priced at £12 a litre or so.  Very 'Much cheapness'.    Supermarket 4-5 litre price.

Call tomorrow. Find out WTF.     £23.37 and is the Cleaner 'Engine Flush'  @£4.72

Screenshot 2019-09-15 at 20.48.24.png

I think they’ve done an interim service costing £169 fixed price, that would be £117 shown as labour, £23.37 shown as oil, then 20% vat.

They just put whatever numbers it takes to make the total correct. The cleaner will be injector cleaner.

I suspect that “cleaner”, chucked into the fuel tank of a car with over 100k miles, may have dislodged some carbon which is causing the faults, especially if the tank was low on fuel, as it should go into a full tank.

Difficult to start, engine shaking, knocking noise all are symptoms of diesel injector problems.

• Like 1

The cleanee is definitely screenwash.. They added  vw additive today and ran it to clean the injector.

My point is,i never had this problem before, previous octavia 63plate, i drove from 63k to 109k, never had injector problem.

Is it true what they are saying about Injector being carbon deposited. Has anyone here had this similar problem?

• Like 1

They had the battery disconnected when doing the switches, or might have.

Who knows what the Tech or fitter has done but they need to sort it out now as taking cars that are running well, checking on the diagnostics, then servicing or Oil & Filter changing and then leaving it unroadworthy is really not on.

They are the people that should be able to get a competent mechanic to sort it.

7 minutes ago, automass said:

The cleanee is definitely screenwash.. They added  vw additive today and ran it to clean the injector.

My point is,i never had this problem before, previous octavia 63plate, i drove from 63k to 109k, never had injector problem.

Is it true what they are saying about Injector being carbon deposited. Has anyone here had this similar problem?

Expensive screen wash, but that ends my theory on injector cleaner then....

They didnt clean injector or computer update or even flush the engine oil. Simply Oil and Oil filter change + two switches. That was the deal.

Just today, as i took the car back to them, guy said that they used vw additive and they recommended me to take the car back and run it.

Edited by automass
  • Thanks 1

Yes, there were health report..everything was spot on except  front brake pads. So i got brake fluid and brake pads changed sameday afternoon from Kwitfit just for £150. 

Admin lady said, if there were any screenwash left,bottle will be kept in the boot. But there wasnt any..and technician said they used it all.