The Kangaroo is dead!

18 minutes ago, Llwyngwernog said:

Great news ....am awaiting delivery of a new SE L 1.5 TSI.

Let's hope my dealer is aware of the fix .

I would just tell him you are aware of the issue regarding the throttle response at slow speed and that there is a fix available. Tell them you want it applied whilst they do the PDA.

I also had an issue with over revving when lifting the clutch from stationary in reverse, it would jump up to 2k as you lifted the clutch (anti stall assistance).

This too was fixed via an ECU update, yours may not do this seeing as its 18 months since I took delivery.

Even so it's very easy to test.

Just put it into reverse and lift the clutch - with no foot on the throttle.

1 hour ago, vegit8 said:

Like many on here I have been suffering with a kangaroo under the bonnet of my (18 plate) 1.5Tsi manual.

Skoda UK have been updating me on a regular basis on a fix for this issue.

Last Friday the fix was applied, WOW. I now have a car that drives like it should have done from the start.

RESULT!

What was the fix?

3 minutes ago, Gazman3000 said:

What was the fix?

An ECU update, oddly its not a mandatory one. So there wont be a recall.

Owners will have to demand it.

If the dealer wont play ball get on to SUK, who have been nothing but helpful as far as I am concerned.

40 minutes ago, Tolpol62 said:

Am I safe to assume that mine will come from the factory with the updated software?

I would ask SUK, if they cant tell you - ask the dealer to ensure all ECU updates are done at PDA (including those that are not mandatory)

My Wife got a new Seat Leon in May this year, with the 1.5TSi.

Cant say we have noticed it, sometimes when it does happen you think is it me or is it the car? Does it happen all the time? Is it worse in warm or cold conditions?

Wondering if we should mention it when its due its first service which will be next year sometime. 

1 hour ago, vegit8 said:

If the dealer wont play ball get on to SUK, who have been nothing but helpful as far as I am concerned.

Cheers vegit8. I will get straight onto them. Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, vegit8 said:

I would ask SUK, if they cant tell you - ask the dealer to ensure all ECU updates are done at PDA (including those that are not mandatory)

Thanks for the advice, I'll contact SUK tomorrow and make the request by email to my dealer as well, the belt and braces approach.

4 hours ago, vegit8 said:

Emailed lookers who sold me the car. Said, they’d heard about the problems and the update. Told me to book it in and they would look at it. Fingers crossed. Cheers vegit8. Will post the results when it’s been in. Thanks again.

14 hours ago, StuFan said:

Does it happen all the time?

Is it worse in warm or cold conditions?

We found it most annoying when trying to pull away from stationary in a slow moving queue of traffic.

At the point where the clutch is fully engaged (pedal up) the slightest touch on the accelerator would cause the car to nosedive, as if all fuel to the engine had been cut off.

It also had a (less predictable) problem when approaching a roundabout, say. At the point where you are still rolling and select 2nd to enter the roundabout it sometimes had the habit of stalling.

My overall suspicion is that all of these problems are caused by some interactions between an 'anti stall' bit of programming and the 'stop / start' feature.

Why on earth car designers cannot just let people drive cars is beyond me, it seems we are dumbing down to accommodate the lowest levels of ability.

We had a similar issue on a 1.2 Nissan Joke a few years ago. Nissan were aware of the issue but wouldn’t do a recall, we had to ask to have it done. Worst car I’ve ever owned. God knows why I let her talk me into that!!

Am still awaiting a delivery date for my Octavia 1.5 SEL ...car has been built and is en route ....raised matter of the software "fix" ...told that this new software is applied by the factory and car will be delivered with it already installed .

Regards

To what extend are people experiencing the issues having been solved with the latest update? I no longer experience kangarooing when accelerating normally. However i have noticed the following:

• When driving uphill in 1st gear while in a queue without no extra or very little gas, the rpms do bounce up and down gently but within a much smaller interval. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be but it's noticeable as a slightly judder.
  • Once while accelerating from cold, rather than cutting the gas over and over like it used to, it now leaped forward 5-6 times then normal.

This is for MY19 Octavia

Haven driven quite a bit more the last few days and the temperature outside is now lower, more signs of kangarooing are starting to show during 1st gear acceleration. When the engine starts from cold it now jumps 2-3 times but after 5 min of driving the issue seems to be gone. The judder is not as bad as before the latest update but it's definitely stronger than the weak signs i felt immediately after the update. Anybody else with a MY19 Octavia experiencing similar signs? Is this the same for MY18 owners who experienced the car returning to not being all smooth.

I'd be careful before rushing to get the software update, my car had it done last week and I'm not entirely convinced that its entirely 100% since then! Fuel economy would seem to be down a bit, the driving mode selections that I make are now forgotten after every journey and need to be done again before setting off. Car isn't as jerky as it was before in first gear setting off but it feels a bit flatter overall,  I kind of wish that I hadn't bothered to be honest!

11 hours ago, Poul said:

Haven driven quite a bit more the last few days and the temperature outside is now lower, more signs of kangarooing are starting to show during 1st gear acceleration. When the engine starts from cold it now jumps 2-3 times but after 5 min of driving the issue seems to be gone. The judder is not as bad as before the latest update but it's definitely stronger than the weak signs i felt immediately after the update. Anybody else with a MY19 Octavia experiencing similar signs? Is this the same for MY18 owners who experienced the car returning to not being all smooth.

My MY18 still jerking after update. It is much better like before, at start car always has 1-2 small jumps.  But the kangaroo is strongly felt when downshifting to 1st or 2nd gear. I mean when the car has reduced speed and the necessary gear to continue driving is 1 or 2, the kangaroo is here 😞 

Edited by kifir

I think it is all to do with the hallowed emissions and efficiency figures. I don't think they can find a way of providing the right amount of fuel at low speeds without violating their published statistics. Personally, I'd rather have a car that drives smoothly and progressively but uses a bit more fuel in doing so.

• Like 1